JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Jul 30, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #3,331 of 3,417
It's as I fear then. Anyway my speaker system didn't had any problem when I used the O2+ODAC as a DAC/preamp combo, so I hope it'll be the same with the C5D.
the good thibg about o2 is it works well with low impedance iems in my opinion well. So, i think the amp mistook my luxman power amp section of l410 as a low impedance headphone and acted like a pre amp. I must say, me and my friend who tried it found it really close to the pre amp of my integrated. So, i think its the same with your case, using it with an active speaker. It may just work as good as a line out.

Oct 1, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #3,334 of 3,417
Sitting here, listening to my iPod Classic playing Apple lossless into my C5, then into my good old HD 600s sounds so good, I wonder if a good DAP would improve the sound quality enough to be worth the expense. My C5 is the older model with only one bass boost setting, so I do not use it

Oct 1, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #3,335 of 3,417
That's a great setup. I wouldn't sweat it. Things can be slightly better or a sideways move in many aspects. Not necessary to change a thing. The bass boost is nice. I have the same version of c5. Not necessary with the 600's though. I like it with my er4s iems when traveling though.

Dec 3, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #3,336 of 3,417
Been enjoying my beautiful C5D. Would like to thank JDS Labs for free engraving and placing the silver faceplates on it.

I can really drive my head phones to dangerous levels now and talk about a new rush.:smile:

Just have some questions about how otg works with this dac/amp set up. I read earlier that some were feeling that it was quieter through their phone than through their pc when using the dac. When I connect through my phone I find my volume controls still work connected via usb. Does This mean I am only passing an audio stream only and essentially double amping and using my phone's dac on the LG G5? Or does the otg specifications allow the volume controls to work still and I'm using th dac on the C5D? I'm pretty tech savvy but this has me stumped.

Dec 3, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #3,337 of 3,417
Wow, that engraving is awesome!

I've had my C5D for two days now and would also like to know the answer to this question. I love the volume toggle on this unit, very quick and easy to access.And yes, it sounds very clean, an excellent pairing with the LP5K.

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #3,338 of 3,417
Been enjoying my beautiful C5D. Would like to thank JDS Labs for free engraving and placing the silver faceplates on it.

I can really drive my head phones to dangerous levels now and talk about a new rush.:smile:

Just have some questions about how otg works with this dac/amp set up. I read earlier that some were feeling that it was quieter through their phone than through their pc when using the dac. When I connect through my phone I find my volume controls still work connected via usb. Does This mean I am only passing an audio stream only and essentially double amping and using my phone's dac on the LG G5? Or does the otg specifications allow the volume controls to work still and I'm using th dac on the C5D? I'm pretty tech savvy but this has me stumped.

it would depend on the app config that your are using.

Dec 3, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #3,339 of 3,417
it would depend on the app config that your are using.

I have been able to do some additional research. Discovered that the USAC1 standard allows for volume controls on a device to control volume to the dac if manufacturer has not locked the functionality with the device. I was not able to find settings that locked volume controls when using the the usb otg function.

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #3,340 of 3,417
One quick question. Can I buy this to replace my hifimediy sabre 9018 as DAC and fiio e12 as amp? Looking forward to use it with a beoplay h6 1stgen. Can I expect better treble extension than e12?

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #3,341 of 3,417
Sitting here, listening to my iPod Classic playing Apple lossless into my C5, then into my good old HD 600s sounds so good, I wonder if a good DAP would improve the sound quality enough to be worth the expense. My C5 is the older model with only one bass boost setting, so I do not use it

What cable are you using between iPod Classic and C5?

Thanks,

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #3,342 of 3,417
Its a Fiio Ipod dock to 3.5 connector I got on Amazon. I would love to find a dock to USB made by ALO or some wire wizard like Alex at Wywires.

Jan 20, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #3,343 of 3,417
Its a Fiio Ipod dock to 3.5 connector I got on Amazon. I would love to find a dock to USB made by ALO or some wire wizard like Alex at Wywires.
c5d had been in market for a while now. I recentlx noticed the cheap fiio k1 has almost the same dac as the c5d, anyone thinks k1 has a sense of the c5d with respect to sound though it may not be as powerful as the c5d. With sensitive iems, can k1 perform similar to c5d?

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #3,344 of 3,417

Use a pogo pin attachment with any ISP programmer:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spring-Loaded-Pogo-Pins-Receptacles-for-Jtag-/250546684662?pt=PCC_Modems&hash=item3a55bf02f6

If you already have Arduino working with your ISP programmer, most work is done. Just place the boards.txt file in the appropriate directory, select the "C5" board in Arduino, then upload your new code.

First off, sorry for commenting on a post that's several years old.  I'm looking into tweaking my C5D's code a bit to lower the gain and make it less loud with my sensitive IEM's.  From what I can tell, using the pogo pins prevents you from having to solder anything onto the board?  So do you just stick these into the receptacle on the end of the ISP programmer's cable and then press the whole thing up to the C5D's jtag contacts?  If so, I'm stoked about the idea of not having to try to solder anything to my board (my soldering skills are pretty terrible). Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back