JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Aug 18, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #3,197 of 3,417
Wanted to get this some time back haven't pulled the trigger yet. 

I use an ipod classic with Fiio e11 + V-moda M100 at the moment.
Music I listen to is all sorts of edm (mainly monstercat at the moment)

Should I get this or the e12 or something else?

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #3,198 of 3,417
Wanted to get this some time back haven't pulled the trigger yet. 

I use an ipod classic with Fiio e11 + V-moda M100 at the moment.
Music I listen to is all sorts of edm (mainly monstercat at the moment)

Should I get this or the e12 or something else?
All I can say is after having this little amp/dac for 6 months now, it craps all over the E12, no competition, and you cannot get much more bang for your buck.
It appears you may like your Bass, what with the M100's and liking for EDM, so plump for the C5D, the 2 position bass boost will blow your little socks off :wink:
IMO, YMMV and all that, but I think 99% would agree the little Fiio trails well behind.
I hope this helps

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #3,199 of 3,417
I am thinking of upgrading my Fiio e7, and am debating getting the c5d or the c5 + odac, which sounds better? Will the stack fit in my pocket? A main concern is I want to be able to use two different amps at the same time for dual listening, and the ODAC with RCA would be perfect for that. How's the sound difference between ODAC+C5 and the C5D? As long as it's pocketable the ODAC+C5 seems like a better deal for. Could the ODAC be driven by my Nexus 6 via OTG?

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #3,200 of 3,417
Going by specs, standalone ODAC enclosure is almost the same size as C5 and C5D... if you can imagine fitting two decks of cards or two third gen iPods in your pocket, plus the phone, and requisite cables- maybe with a fanny pack or cargo pockets, or rigging cables around your clothes so you can use multiple pockets
biggrin.gif

As to powering ODAC with a mobile, seems possible, JDS has a blog entry on the limitations and workarounds, actually: http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838

Aug 18, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #3,201 of 3,417
Going by specs, standalone ODAC enclosure is almost the same size as C5 and C5D... if you can imagine fitting two decks of cards or two third gen iPods in your pocket, plus the phone, and requisite cables- maybe with a fanny pack or cargo pockets, or rigging cables around your clothes so you can use multiple pockets :D

As to powering ODAC with a mobile, seems possible, JDS has a blog entry on the limitations and workarounds, actually: http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838
okay, I just need to transport in my pocket, listening is done with my gear either in my seat or on my desk, I just need to be able to get away with carrying it to wherever I'm going. :p

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #3,202 of 3,417
I am not sure what you meant by dual amp listening. It is not possible to use both the ODAC RCA's headphone jack and RCA plugs at the same time. 

I am using the ODAC RCA  on my HTC One M8 and SMSL SAP-5 amp. Amazing battery life. Barely budges.

I am also on the fence whether to pair my ODAC with a C5 or just use one C5D. However, a review at Headfonia said the C5 was more revealing than the amp section of the C5D. 

I will buy a short mini to micro otg cable for dedicated music use and a 2-3ft cable for phone use.

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #3,206 of 3,417
Hi I own the sennheiser HD 700 and adore the soundstage I get from it with my Fiio x5 but I want an amp, will the jds labs open up the soundstage or compress it? It may seem silly but it makes a big difference to me. Thanks

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #3,207 of 3,417
Hi I own the sennheiser HD 700 and adore the soundstage I get from it with my Fiio x5 but I want an amp, will the jds labs open up the soundstage or compress it? It may seem silly but it makes a big difference to me. Thanks

can't comment on the improvement over the X5, but the C5 definitely has more space & separation compared to my X3's headphone jack when using my HD600's. (i'm talking X3 line out into the C5, of course)

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #3,209 of 3,417
My C5D arrived today and initial impressions with my Sony Xperia Z3 and Etymotic ER4S are moderately positive. Used as an amp (the DAC in the Z3 is far better in my opinion) it's engaging and well defined but lacking in power with the 100ohm ER4S. Even with my Z3 on full (yes I know it's AVLS-handicapped) and the C5D set to high gain and full volume the power is not enough. I want an amp to get uncomfortable at full volume but my ER4S IEMs don't really get to stretch their legs even at full output on both source and amp. I just keep thinking 'Give me more'. The bass boost at the 'mid' setting is nice - at full it's horrible and the bass just turns to sludge. I cannot discern a benefit used purely as an amp over my PA2V2 which is considerably cheaper.

In truth, I'm regretting my purchase and definitely regretting getting it personalised as it's harder to offload. I think it will do as a bridge between my laptop and my integrated amp/speaker setup but not what I was hoping for in terms of an improvement to my existing portable setup.

Oct 1, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #3,210 of 3,417
  My C5D arrived today and initial impressions with my Sony Xperia Z3 and Etymotic ER4S are moderately positive. Used as an amp (the DAC in the Z3 is far better in my opinion) it's engaging and well defined but lacking in power with the 100ohm ER4S. Even with my Z3 on full (yes I know it's AVLS-handicapped) and the C5D set to high gain and full volume the power is not enough. I want an amp to get uncomfortable at full volume but my ER4S IEMs don't really get to stretch their legs even at full output on both source and amp. I just keep thinking 'Give me more'. The bass boost at the 'mid' setting is nice - at full it's horrible and the bass just turns to sludge. I cannot discern a benefit used purely as an amp over my PA2V2 which is considerably cheaper.

In truth, I'm regretting my purchase and definitely regretting getting it personalised as it's harder to offload. I think it will do as a bridge between my laptop and my integrated amp/speaker setup but not what I was hoping for in terms of an improvement to my existing portable setup.

boy, so much about this seems fishy to me.

first off, i want to make sure you're getting a line out (post DAC, unamped) signal out of that phone -- are you? because i don't know of any phones that do this (i'm not a phone expert though). and can you also get a digital signal out of the phone (pre DAC)? if you're not able to do both of these things then you're not comparing DACs. it's not likely that a phone DAC is as technically good as the C5D DAC, though i have no problem believing a person might prefer something that is technically less "good". but again, i don't think you're isolating DACs so it's kinda mute anyway.

and as for the volume, something is definitely not right. no way anyone's ears can take the C5 at high gain & full volume with a set of IEM's. can't you turn off the phone's volume limiter? if not then NO portable amp will help you get loud enough.

i'm sorry but i think you really haven't heard the C5D yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back