JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Oct 1, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #3,212 of 3,417
Just curious.  Just how powerful is the C5?  I have one, powering low ohm IEMs at the moment.  But what about something like DT770 250ohms?  Or 600 ohms?  What is the C5's limit when accounting for powering power hungry cans?  

Oct 2, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #3,213 of 3,417
  Just curious.  Just how powerful is the C5?  I have one, powering low ohm IEMs at the moment.  But what about something like DT770 250ohms?  Or 600 ohms?  What is the C5's limit when accounting for powering power hungry cans?  

It effortlessly drives my 300ohm HD600: about 25% volume on high gain and just under 50% volume on low gain. I admit i don't listen very loudly, but it wouldn't take many more volume steps to get really damn loud. worth mentioning that the input is almost exclusively my X3 line out, which is a pretty hot signal.

Oct 2, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #3,215 of 3,417
Dose anyone use the C5D with a Note 4 over USB OTG?

I just got a C5D and JDS Labs OTG cable and tried it with my Note 4. The Audio is horribly distorted. You know how in movies the  bad guys uses a device to distort his voice? That's what it sounds like, with a bit of slow motion going on. With the HibyMusic App I can play my music, but other music app and streaming apps (Spotify & Pandora) are distorted and horrid. Same results with the Galaxy Tab 2 8.4 (actually it sounds worse!).

Just tried it with my Note 3 and it works fine. What's the deal with the Note 4? I'm assuming it has something to do with Samsung's implementation. Work around/fix?

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #3,216 of 3,417
I suspect the Note 4 and its current os simply cannot support usb audio. Research your rom if it really support usb audio natively.

Hibymusic uses its own drivers that is why it works.

it's not a total deal breaker, you just need a rom that is known to provide usb audio natively. Cynanogenmod has been known to support it.
Still it is phone specific. So do your research so you avoid barking at the wrong tree.

In my research Note 3 is known to support usb audio natively. In fact, the Note 3 was on my shortlist. I ended up buying an HTC M8. USB audio works 
natively.

Oct 3, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #3,217 of 3,417
  I suspect the Note 4 and its current os simply cannot support usb audio. Research your rom if it really support usb audio natively.

Hibymusic uses its own drivers that is why it works.

it's not a total deal breaker, you just need a rom that is known to provide usb audio natively. Cynanogenmod has been known to support it.
Still it is phone specific. So do your research so you avoid barking at the wrong tree.

In my research Note 3 is known to support usb audio natively. In fact, the Note 3 was on my shortlist. I ended up buying an HTC M8. USB audio works 
natively.

Thanks for the reply...

I'm currently running stock (AT&T) and have seen a few mentions of others using a DAC with their Note 4, perhaps they are running custom ROMs. Have done a couple of searches but haven't really found much in the way of useful results.

When I got my Note 4, there wasn't a good way to root, so I never did and haven't kept up. Perhaps I'll look into it and see what can be done now.

Anyone using a Note 4? Custom? Stock?

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #3,218 of 3,417
Dose anyone use the C5D with a Note 4 over USB OTG?

I just got a C5D and JDS Labs OTG cable and tried it with my Note 4. The Audio is horribly distorted. You know how in movies the  bad guys uses a device to distort his voice? That's what it sounds like, with a bit of slow motion going on. With the HibyMusic App I can play my music, but other music app and streaming apps (Spotify & Pandora) are distorted and horrid. Same results with the Galaxy Tab 2 8.4 (actually it sounds worse!).

Just tried it with my Note 3 and it works fine. What's the deal with the Note 4? I'm assuming it has something to do with Samsung's implementation. Work around/fix?

No new Samsung devices work properly w audio OTG. I've tested the Note 5, Tab S 8.4, Tab S2 8.0, and two different galaxy S6 models and all exhibited that distortion out of both my HA2 and my C5D. It's a Samsung software issue clearly as every other device I've tried works fine.

Oct 4, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #3,219 of 3,417
No new Samsung devices work properly w audio OTG. I've tested the Note 5, Tab S 8.4, Tab S2 8.0, and two different galaxy S6 models and all exhibited that distortion out of both my HA2 and my C5D. It's a Samsung software issue clearly as every other device I've tried works fine.

That's a shame. All my Android devices have been Samsung going back to the original Samsung Galaxy. Now they are dropping removable batteries and external MicroSD card support as well as breaking USB audio out. When it comes time for a new phone I may be looking at something other than a Samsung.

May have to look into rooting my Note 4 and try a custom ROM, or just use my Note 3 for audio (but them I have to carry an additional device).

BTW My Samsung Galaxy Tab s 8.4 doesn't work either, but my Nexus 7 2013 does.

Oct 4, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #3,220 of 3,417
A few weeks ago I was on an Android phone hunt. I wanted one that would work with my ODAC. I was thinking as a precursor to using a C5D or a C5. I've read issues with newer Samsung phones. So I narrowed my choice to older phones known to work usb audio natively. 

The Note 3 was the latest most practical Samsung I found for the purpose. I have a Note 1 (but doesn't give usb audio) with CM and like the removable battery feature a lot.

In the end though I chose a the HTC M8. Research showed  It fit my criteria. I am very happy with it. USB audio works with the ODAC natively. So all apps I cared to use worked with sound through the ODAC. Battery lasts a very long time with the ODAC hooked up. Perfect for the C5/C5D intention. The ODAC also give me the opportunity to use different powered amps without draining much power from the phone.

Oct 5, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #3,221 of 3,417
Post this reply yesterday, just noticed I accidently started a new thread.

Well, did some reading and say someone mention to make sure that "Disable USB audio routing" wasn't checked in developer options (note developer mode has to be enabled by tapping 7 times on the build number Under settings>general.about device.build number).

I did as described and the options was unchecked was unchecked. I plugged in the C5D and it was now working fine. Checking and unchecking the option didn't seem to make a difference. Rebooted and it was broken again. Open developer mode it started working fine again. I get varying results. Seem to be some combination of opening Developer options then turning on the C5D using the Google Music app FIRST, then other app (Spotify) will work. It very strange.

It seems if you reboot or turn off/disconnect the C5D you have to start from the beginning (open developer mode, turn on C5D, start a song with Google Music). It's very strange!

BTW you can also start playing Google PLay Music first them turn on the DAC, seems to work either way.

So I guess I found a workaround. Does it work for anyone else?

Oct 7, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #3,222 of 3,417
heres a question c5d or cozoy aegis dac? which is better

Oct 19, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #3,225 of 3,417
  Is the c5D worth $90 more than e18 fiio (sale on mass drop)

I've had many fiio products when I first started just because they were cheap. however they always seem to be too warm and fuzzy. 
The C5D is clean and I thought just the amazing bass boost was worth the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back