JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Jan 3, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #1,816 of 3,417
i've got the i9505 and HD650's.

I'm trying to find a portable amp that will adequately power them that also has a DAC. The C5D seems to be the only one that satisfies both conditions. (Fiio E18 might be underpowered)

Yes, I will be using it with the S4 98% of the time.

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #1,817 of 3,417
  i've got the i9505 and HD650's.

I'm trying to find a portable amp that will adequately power them that also has a DAC. The C5D seems to be the only one that satisfies both conditions. (Fiio E18 might be underpowered)

The c5 definitely powered my hd600 with no issue, and the 650 is pretty similar in sensitivity and the same impedance.  The E18 has some nice features, but the C5D has better dynamic range and a better volume control mechanism in my opinion.

Also, the e18 says right in the specs only recommended for 16-150ohm phones.  The 650 are 300ohms.  That's twice the maximum recommended impedance.  Not sure how that would sound....  Just some thoughts. 

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #1,818 of 3,417
I use mine with the S4 i9505. It works via the USB Audio Recorder and USB Audio Player apps, but not with any other music player apps. I'm using Android 4.3 all stock. I don't know if the i9500 model works differently.

luisdent: Hmm, perhaps that was my issue as well. I'll try again later and see how it goes.

An S3 customer emailed yesterday with the following tip. I'm not sure if these results will also fly on S4. It's worth an attempt:

I rooted the phone, am running http://www.cyanogenmod.org/ version of kit kat (android 4.4) and so far, apps such as pandora, netflix, google music, double twist work with the c5d.  Volume control on the phone also affects the c5d's output. (all tests include the phone connected via usb to the c5d) Netflix seems to have a small delay (audio lagging behind video) but it isn't too obtrusive.  Feel free to include this information (without my name) for your other users.

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #1,819 of 3,417
Thanks for the tip! For now I'd rather not root my phone (especially as 4.3 complicates the process) but certainly plan to look into it in the future.
I do like the idea of being able to adjust the volume on the phone, as I sometimes find the lowest volume on low gain to be a little loud (such as in bed at night).

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #1,821 of 3,417

An S3 customer emailed yesterday with the following tip. [COLOR=222222]I'm not sure if these results will also fly on S4. It's worth an attempt:[/COLOR]

If the phone volume has an effect, then does that mean that the C5D is amping the phone's already amped signal? 

Not necessarily. Whenever you connect a DAC to your computer for example, you can still adjust the computer's volume.

Jan 3, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #1,822 of 3,417
Not necessarily. Whenever you connect a DAC to your computer for example, you can still adjust the computer's volume.

Miceblue is correct. "Software" volume control is enabled in C5D, so you're able to control volume digitally from any supported device (computer, tablet, smartphone). Notice that iOS7 also allows you to control volume of a DAC.

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #1,823 of 3,417
Sorry, maybe someone can direct me to an amp comparison between C5 and C5D? I will only be using a line out from my Sony Z Walkman... I did some search and did not find any thing related to what I'm finding.

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #1,824 of 3,417
  Sorry, maybe someone can direct me to an amp comparison between C5 and C5D? I will only be using a line out from my Sony Z Walkman... I did some search and did not find any thing related to what I'm finding.

I thought C5 and C5D has identical amp section and thus should sound identical as far as analog signal is concerned?

Jan 4, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #1,825 of 3,417

If you're only only using line out from the Walkman save your $$$ and get the C5.  If you want to use the DAC with your computer, get the C5D.  The amp sections are supposed to be the same (or very similar).

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #1,826 of 3,417

I thought C5 and C5D has identical amp section and thus should sound identical as far as analog signal is concerned?

I was told by the sales assistant that C5D sounds better, hence they are not selling the C5. But after researching for the past hour, looks like he is wrong. 

Sorry to bother you, you seems to have done many amp review, do you happen to have a comparison between FiiO E12/E17 against JDS C5/C5D?

If you're only only using line out from the Walkman save your $$$ and get the C5.  If you want to use the DAC with your computer, get the C5D.  The amp sections are supposed to be the same (or very similar).

Thank you, for re-confirming that the C5 and C5D have similar amp! Looks like the sales assistant is wrong..

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #1,827 of 3,417

Apparently some people hear differences between C5D and C5 despite having the "same" amp section. Just like the guys in Headfonia.

I went for C5D because of the lower output impedance compared to C5 since I'm using low impedance ciems and the discount last Black Friday sale. :)

Maybe when you get a chance you could update your sub-$200 amp shootout and include C5D. I know it is well above 200 bucks but it would be a worthy comparison. Thanks
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #1,828 of 3,417

Apparently some people hear differences between C5D and C5 despite having the "same" amp section. Just like the guys in Headfonia.

http://www.headfonia.com/jdslabs-portable-dac-the-jdslabs-c5d/.

Maybe when you get a chance you could update your sub-$200 amp shootout and include C5D. I know it is well above 200 bucks but it would be a worthy comparison. Thanks
tongue_smile.gif

No disrespect to Mike, but I don't always agree with him when it comes to portable amps. Of course, I haven't listened to C5D myself so I really won't know.

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #1,829 of 3,417

No disrespect to Mike, but I don't always agree with him when it comes to portable amps. Of course, I haven't listened to C5D myself so I really won't know.

I went for C5D because of the lower output impedance compared to C5 since I'm using low impedance ciems and the discount last Black Friday sale. :)

tongue_smile.gif

Some people can hear Jesus too :) :) 
Nothing bad with that :p :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back