JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Jun 26, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #1,111 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:
Huge difference from pure silver to copper.

Is this due to differences in impedance?

It might be, or the electrical conductance.

I have tried silver cables versus my copper FiiO L2 and the silver makes the midrange more textured and a bit brighter. The brightness is why I was asking about silver vs copper for the C5.

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #1,112 of 3,417
I'm always up for making interconnects :)
Divines cable is made with toxic cables pure silver.

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #1,114 of 3,417
Thanks.
smile.gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #1,115 of 3,417
I would have to say yes, there is a difference between silver, copper, and spc is in between.  However, its almost impossible to tell the difference between same type cables for example, a toxic silver cable, and a chris_himself silver cable.

Jul 1, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #1,116 of 3,417
Quote:
Which lod cable would be best for ER4s?-Silver or copper?-Or perhaps silver plated copper?
Does it really make any difference??

All of the companies that design these earphones use basic copper interconnect cables. :p  Think about it.  The cables of the earphones are basic thin copper.  Just sayin'  :wink:  Not that there is or isn't a difference, but they don't use silver cables in their design testing.

Jul 1, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #1,117 of 3,417
Quote:

Too expensive. They're in this market to earn (alot of ) money.

My point is that they don't design them for use with silver cables, etc. etc.  The sound that they target and achieve is based on typical copper cables.  That's all.  Again, they may change the sound, but it isn't necessarily going to be "an improvement", as it wasn't designed to sound that way, but some people may prefer it....

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #1,118 of 3,417
Quote:
My point is that they don't design them for use with silver cables, etc. etc.  The sound that they target and achieve is based on typical copper cables.  That's all.  Again, they may change the sound, but it isn't necessarily going to be "an improvement", as it wasn't designed to sound that way, but some people may prefer it....

Yep I was thinking that too, which is why I'm still going to keep the original cables and try them again one day.

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #1,119 of 3,417
Quote:

Yep I was thinking that too, which is why I'm still going to keep the original cables and try them again one day.

That's cool.  :)  Whatever makes people happy with their music is all that matters in my opinion.  Just being analytical about the situation. :)

Jul 2, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #1,120 of 3,417

Yes so true, it's quite amusing when you think about it. Let me just quote from blue jeans cables.....
Exotic Materials and Cable Construction
It's not too hard to understand why a lot of discussion of quality cables focuses on the materials used in cable construction. Just as with any physical product, the materials cables are made out of influence their performance characteristics, and so people want to know that the cables they're buying are made from the best possible materials.

Many high-priced cables are made with materials for which special claims of high performance are made. The most common among these are silver instead of or in addition to copper, "oxygen-free" copper, and Teflon. We'll address each of these in turn and explain what they are, what their characteristics are, and whether they make sense for particular applications.

Initially, it's perhaps helpful to point out that professional cables of the highest quality are routinely made without resort to any strange, exotic or expensive materials. If you look inside a typical audio or video production facility, you won't find it wired with silver-plated cables, oxygen-free copper cables, or (except, as we'll explain, in limited circumstances) Teflon-insulated cables. Broadcast studio engineers--people whose livelihood depends on the signal getting through with the lowest possible distortion and losses--rely on cables from companies like Belden and Canare, made with ordinary high-quality materials. People who spend millions of dollars on high-definition studio gear rely on these cables not because they're out to save a buck at the cost of quality, but because they are looking for the best possible product.

Let's take a look at some of these materials and consider how they bear on quality cable construction.Broadcast-quality cables are generally made with copper conductors; but it's not uncommon, in the consumer a/v market, to run into cables made with silver, or silver-plated copper, conductors. Why is this?

There is one respect in which silver is a better material for cable construction than copper: it is slightly (about 5%) less resistive (that is, more conductive) than annealed copper. "Resistance" is the property of any material which causes some of the electricity that flows through it to be converted into heat, and it's fair to say that resistance, in cables, is a bad thing--the less the better. All else being equal, lower resistance ought to be a good thing, and therefore one might think that silver would make for a better cable than copper.

That would indeed be so, but there are some other factors to take into account. First, the resistive loss in high-quality copper cables is already extremely small, because copper, though marginally less conductive than silver, is an extremely conductive metal. For example, Belden 1694A's center conductor resistance is 6.4 ohms per thousand feet. In a very long home theater run of 50 feet, then, the resistance of the conductor is 0.32 ohms, representing a minuscule cause of signal loss in a 75 ohm impedance video circuit; a solid silver conductor would drop this resistance by about five percent, resulting in a truly infinitesimal improvement.

This infinitesimal improvement might be worth something under extreme circumstances, all else being equal--but all else is rarely equal. First, silver is a more brittle material than copper, compromising the cable's flex-life. To solve this problem, silver is often plated over a copper wire--diminishing the conductivity benefit. Second, the conductivity benefit, as often as not, is offset by a reduction in wire gauge. Going from an 18 AWG conductor to a 20 AWG conductor, for example, results in an increase in resistance of over 50%; this swamps the conductivity benefit of silver, so that an 18 AWG copper conductor is more conductive, not less, than a 20 AWG silver or silver-plated conductor. When the comparison is between full-sized copper cables and silver-plated mini-coax of tiny gauge, like those one sees in many popular silver cable products, there's no contest; full-sized copper cables are dramatically more conductive, silver or no silver.

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #1,124 of 3,417
For headphones silver might not necessarily be better, like with my Alclair I didn't like SPC, prefer copper. But interconnects I always use silver.

Jul 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #1,125 of 3,417
imo you better have silver interconnects or lod if you are going to be using a silver headphone cable. to fully get the benifits of silver.

in my expierence silver has the best sound signature offers crisp.clean clear mids, wide soundstage. i wanna say a little sterile or aggressive probably for  some peoples liking . 

silver plated copper gives you the best of both worlds if you want to stay a little dynamic and not so clean and aggressive. SPC gives you the dynamic sounding low feq's with the silver mids and highs.

and obviously copper offers the most dynamic sounding of the 3 while being non aggressive,non sterile, and a little warmer or dark.

again your expierences may vary depending on the iem being used. the amp, the dac the cable and the interconnects ALL of that has to be taken into consideration.

i personally just went from a BTG_Audio sunrise copper cable, to the Chis_Himself Neotech Pure Silver cable with my westone w4r's and imo i can definitly tell a differece between the 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back