JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Jul 2, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #1,127 of 3,417
Quote:
That's a nice setup! Do you have anything placed between the C5 and the iPod?

Yes. I cut another of the silicone bracelets into a couple strips that I lay between the two. Kind of crude but does the job of keeping them from rubbing/slipping and you don't see them anyway. Adds a little more height as well which helps to keep the straps a bit tighter. For a couple bucks I'll take the result vs. some other options.

Originally I had inquired to ALO Audio about their amp straps which come in packs of three for $20. I wanted four even though it seemed a tad rich for what it was. When they finally got back to me via email I indicated I'd come up with another solution. Now I see they have lowered their price to $10. Coincidence?

Back on topic. Haven't got a lot of time with the C5 but what I have heard has been very promising! It will get a good workout on my upcoming vacation that will include about ten hours of flying.

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #1,128 of 3,417
Quote:
No worries....enjoy it...who knows you might prefer it though preferences and accuracy is two different beast.

The good thing about some of these cables is that even if they don't necessarily sound better, they are usually much higher quality build than cheaper cables.  So at a minimum you probably have a very nice cable...  At best you might find you like its sound as well...

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #1,130 of 3,417
Well, now I got the stock interconnector that came with one of my 3 amps (i forget which), a silver plated copper interconnect, and just an hour ago a silver interconnect.  I have to say wow, even that makes a difference.  Doesn't have to be expensive at all.  The silver interconnect totally blows away any warmpth that I was complaining about in the jh16's, and now its actually a little too bright.  Mind you I also got a silver iem cable connected so now its a pure silver system.  The stock interconnector though had the most bass impact and body.  The spc had smooth vocals but surprisingly a tad less bass impact (But in all fairness it only cost $7.00 free shipping).

So from my experience:

silver:  brightest and most detailed of the 3.  However bass is noticeably thinner, noticeably less rumble.  No matter how much I try to eq it, the bass won't come back.  If I eq the bass regions, the bass distorts.  However the other 2 ic cables don't distort when I eq the bass...

spc:  Vocals are smoother and less piercing, and sounds a bit more realistic.  However bass impact is slightly less, but it could be just my perception due to the vocals being a bit more forward.  Treble takes a step back though, certain high notes sound a tone(is that the right word?) lower, and there is less detail if you pay close attention, especially to strings.

stock:  good detail, best bass of the 3.  I think this is actually the most balanced of the 3. kinda surprising because I think it's just copper.

overall im going to stick with the silver for the brightness and detail.  The bass is still there, just not all of it.  But it's a good tradeoff to get rid of the warmpth of my jh16's.  I'll really miss that rumble though.

I'll shut up now seeing that this is a jds labs c5 thread.  But in my defense, it is somewhat related because I'm comparing them using the c5.  
tongue_smile.gif

edit:  this is all done with the c5 bass boost switch on, of course.  I can't live without that feature.  That being said, the silver may just be wayyy too bright without the boost.

One more edit:  I'm torn between the stock and silver now.  The stock brings you in a bit closer to the music, to where you can actually hear the strings being plucked and it's just oh so satisfying to hear that string vibration.  You can't hear the strings being plucked too well on the silver, probably because you're not as close to the music playing, so the timbre is a little weak.

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #1,131 of 3,417
Do you mean there is still not enough bass even with the bass boost on and eq?

why would one cable distort the sound with eq and the other two be ok?-Not doubting you, just curious! -(and slightly concerned about my silver cable on the way!..)

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #1,132 of 3,417
Sorry, there is enough bass with the silver.  However I'm just used to the stock (and spc) bass, it's just weightier and more rumbly (and makes your head bob and toes tap harder).  That being said though, the bass that the silver gives is just right for all genres (for me anyway).  The stock and spc interconnects are sometimes too much and sound out of place with most rock, some metal, and very few orchestra;  I sometimes have to turn the switch off when those songs come up --not with the silver though.

When I try to recreate the bass weight and rumble of the spc and stock ic --by eq'ing the bass regions of 30, 60, 120hz the music just distorts on the silver.  I believe that the distortion is not caused by the silver ic itself, but just that it is really transparent.  The distortion is probably carried over from the clip zip player because I hear the distortion when i just plug directly into it.  The stock and spc ic cable though, probably just smoothens/masks the distortion better.

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #1,133 of 3,417
Quote:
Well, now I got the stock interconnector that came with one of my 3 amps (i forget which), a silver plated copper interconnect, and just an hour ago a silver interconnect.  I have to say wow, even that makes a difference.  Doesn't have to be expensive at all.  The silver interconnect totally blows away any warmpth that I was complaining about in the jh16's, and now its actually a little too bright.  Mind you I also got a silver iem cable connected so now its a pure silver system.  The stock interconnector though had the most bass impact and body.  The spc had smooth vocals but surprisingly a tad less bass impact (But in all fairness it only cost $7.00 free shipping).

So from my experience:

silver:  brightest and most detailed of the 3.  However bass is noticeably thinner, noticeably less rumble.  No matter how much I try to eq it, the bass won't come back.  If I eq the bass regions, the bass distorts.  However the other 2 ic cables don't distort when I eq the bass...

spc:  Vocals are smoother and less piercing, and sounds a bit more realistic.  However bass impact is slightly less, but it could be just my perception due to the vocals being a bit more forward.  Treble takes a step back though, certain high notes sound a tone(is that the right word?) lower, and there is less detail if you pay close attention, especially to strings.

stock:  good detail, best bass of the 3.  I think this is actually the most balanced of the 3. kinda surprising because I think it's just copper.

overall im going to stick with the silver for the brightness and detail.  The bass is still there, just not all of it.  But it's a good tradeoff to get rid of the warmpth of my jh16's.  I'll really miss that rumble though.

I'll shut up now seeing that this is a jds labs c5 thread.  But in my defense, it is somewhat related because I'm comparing them using the c5.  
tongue_smile.gif

edit:  this is all done with the c5 bass boost switch on, of course.  I can't live without that feature.  That being said, the silver may just be wayyy too bright without the boost.

Yeah that was kind of what I was thinking when using a silver interconnect with the C5. I'll be attending a local Head-Fi meet within the month and one of the fellow Head-Fiers made a custom [cheap] silver interconnect cable. I'll try it for myself and see if it does indeed sound good with the C5. :D

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #1,134 of 3,417
Quote:

You need a better DAP :p

I don't doubt that.  Since getting the jh16's I've been able to hear very minute details, so much that it does kinda bother me a bit.  It even allows me to hear the distortion from the best 'bang for the buck' clip zip.  Also in reality, the differences between the cables are noticable, but probably not as big a deal as I'm making it.  I'm only making it a big deal because I guess my hearing is really sensitive and little things like that bother me.  Also note, my hearing and vision has benefited from many generations of ninja warfare.

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #1,135 of 3,417
Quote:
Yeah that was kind of what I was thinking when using a silver interconnect with the C5. I'll be attending a local Head-Fi meet within the month and one of the fellow Head-Fiers made a custom [cheap] silver interconnect cable. I'll try it for myself and see if it does indeed sound good with the C5. :D

I'd also like to hear your thoughts when that happens.

Jul 3, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #1,136 of 3,417
Quote:

Remind me the day before the show to bring it.  I also have a LOD with solid silver that I built but didn't bring last time.  I've been heading down the tube path.  Haven't been using the portable stuff much lately.

Jul 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #1,137 of 3,417
Quote:
Quote:

Remind me the day before the show to bring it.  I also have a LOD with solid silver that I built but didn't bring last time.  I've been heading down the tube path.  Haven't been using the portable stuff much lately.

Ah okay. Sounds like a plan.

Tubes eh? The only time I've enjoyed the HD800 was with Bottlehead's rig. :p
I wonder how the HD800 will sound with the C5. I recall someone saying it sounds pretty good actually. From an old power calculations post, I think the C5 should provide sufficient power for it.

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #1,139 of 3,417
hey anybody can compare a X02 to the c5 ? iv got the X02 and have been happy for like 2 years and have not been in the amp scene since...and upgrade fever has got my wallet in a choke hold and i love the look of the red C5 !!! can anyone do a comparision ? are they in the same league is the X02 in a higher league because its like S$100 more expensive than the C5 ???

Jul 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #1,140 of 3,417
Hi,

I've been reading this very interested thread on and off for months.
Obviously, I havent read many posts.
Let me digress that I'm an extremely
tongue_smile.gif
 happy owner of the JDS Labs  ODAC and O2 (as two separates).

The following question has been  bugging me for months.
How does the C5's channel imbalance, or should I say
almost perfect channel balance even at very low volume levels

Quote:
Channel Balance +/- 0.55 dB, all volume positions

compare to the O2's slight imbalance at (very) low levels?

Numbers please!

Thanx for reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back