JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Mar 29, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #2,416 of 3,417
MacBook Pro playing the 24/88.2 file via Audirvana Plus -> ODAC -> splitter -> C5 and C5D -> HS2 box -> K 701.

The K 701 has more rumble for me with the C5D. It's slight, but noticeable for me.

could you elaborate in the comparison, with "both bass boosters on"?

any other reference with other headphones or in-ears?

i did a comparison myself the the other day, but i wasnt able to match the specs with the line in, as i was on a impromptu situation. thanks!

Mar 29, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #2,417 of 3,417
MacBook Pro playing the 24/88.2 file via Audirvana Plus -> ODAC -> splitter -> C5 and C5D -> HS2 box -> K 701.

The K 701 has more rumble for me with the C5D. It's slight, but noticeable for me.

could you elaborate in the comparison, with "both bass boosters on"?

any other reference with other headphones or in-ears?

i did a comparison myself the the other day, but i wasnt able to match the specs with the line in, as i was on a impromptu situation. thanks!

Yeah I can try that test later. I have the first generation of the C5, so the bass boost will be on maximum, and at low gain.

Mar 30, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #2,418 of 3,417
Just picked up a C5D.  It doesn't work with my stock Verizon S3 on 4.3, but I've tested the amp and DAC (using pc).  Using a pair of MadDog 3.2s for general testing, and ran it into an E/90 energizer to power the koss ESP-950s and it just works.  I haven't had an "ooo ahhh" moment, but I own a host of other neutral devices just no one as compact as the C5D.

Have to say this is a very capable device.  I've seen a lot of warnings about the amp's neutrality, but I am finding this to be a positive aspect.  The soundstage is very clear and high quality recordings show their merit.  It's really what I was hoping for considering all of the measurements JDS went through the trouble of recording.    This thing is great because it has dead quiet silence, and plays the music as it is intended.

I've read some comments about the amplifier lacking, and I have not experienced anything missing from my music or colored/distorted.  Maybe there is a bad pairing of headphones with some reviews?   Oh well.  Happy customer here. :)

Mar 30, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #2,419 of 3,417
  Just picked up a C5D.  It doesn't work with my stock Verizon S3 on 4.3, but I've tested the amp and DAC (using pc).  Using a pair of MadDog 3.2s for general testing, and ran it into an E/90 energizer to power the koss ESP-950s and it just works.  I haven't had an "ooo ahhh" moment, but I own a host of other neutral devices just no one as compact as the C5D.

Have to say this is a very capable device.  I've seen a lot of warnings about the amp's neutrality, but I am finding this to be a positive aspect.  The soundstage is very clear and high quality recordings show their merit.  It's really what I was hoping for considering all of the measurements JDS went through the trouble of recording.    This thing is great because it has dead quiet silence, and plays the music as it is intended.

I've read some comments about the amplifier lacking, and I have not experienced anything missing from my music or colored/distorted.  Maybe there is a bad pairing of headphones with some reviews?   Oh well.  Happy customer here. :)

what software you used? i tried it with my xperia zr on stock 4.3 with USB Audio PRO, and it worked flawlessly. cant say the same for the e18 though, i had to work it around for 10 minutes to make it happen.

for sensitive iems like my se535, the c5s works very well.

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #2,420 of 3,417

what software you used? i tried it with my xperia zr on stock 4.3 with USB Audio PRO, and it worked flawlessly. cant say the same for the e18 though, i had to work it around for 10 minutes to make it happen.

for sensitive iems like my se535, the c5s works very well.

I refuse to use USB Audio Recorder PRO. Would rather buy another, more compatible, device than work with that trainwreck.

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #2,421 of 3,417
  I refuse to use USB Audio Recorder PRO. Would rather buy another, more compatible, device than work with that trainwreck.

yes, but this is Audio Player Pro, not Recorder Pro.  This one has compatability with many compressed and loss-less formats that the RP lacked.  UI still suck without folder recognition, but it lets you hook up to external DAC.  No others can do that, so it's this or nothing for external DAC. 

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #2,422 of 3,417
  yes, but this is Audio Player Pro, not Recorder Pro.  This one has comparability with many compressed and loss-less formats that the RP lacked.  UI still suck without folder recognition, but it lets you hook up to external DAC.  No others can do that, so it's this or nothing for external DAC. 

yeah, its a shame that Audio Pro, isn't as known and still lingers behind the shadow of Recorder Pro.

it is a very competent player as it is though, like you said, a lot of work to go through still.

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #2,423 of 3,417
  yes, but this is Audio Player Pro, not Recorder Pro.  This one has compatability with many compressed and loss-less formats that the RP lacked.  UI still suck without folder recognition, but it lets you hook up to external DAC.  No others can do that, so it's this or nothing for external DAC. 

I'm sorry- they are both terrible options.  There are devices out there which do not have this restriction, and I'd rather have something that works completely.  The reason I went with the C5D was because there are compatible devices, and I wouldn't be forced to use slow-feature lacking DAPs which plague the portable market.

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #2,424 of 3,417
  I'm sorry- they are both terrible options.  There are devices out there which do not have this restriction, and I'd rather have something that works completely.  The reason I went with the C5D was because there are compatible devices, and I wouldn't be forced to use slow-feature lacking DAPs which plague the portable market.

I believe the Note 3 doesn't need a software to connect to a external DAC, correct me if I'm wrong.  Not sure what others, possibly G2 also?  iphone only needs a camera connector kit for the C5D, but not sure about others.

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #2,426 of 3,417
I can't find any information on the Amp the C5D will take when charging.

I have USB .5A
a 1A usb phone chargeer
a 1.5A usb phone charger
and a 2A usb phone charger

Are all these safe to use?  I am guessing yes?

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #2,427 of 3,417
Apr 3, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #2,428 of 3,417
While using the 5CD over UAC1, I am noticing a quality difference when playing a 24/96 file on my computer using VLC vs the same file on my Note 3 which also plays it at 24/96.

The file being Muse - Follow Me Flac.

Using my computer + vlc just sounds a lot better.  When using VLC I hear all the different parts of the song grab me and demand to be listened too, while from my Note 3 I find myself trying to listen and see if I can hear the same thing.  I have done 15 random blind swaps over the space of 2 days and I can always tell which one is the better sounding one to myself(vlc on the computer).

Trying to figure out what is going on here.  Any thoughts?  I am no expert.  VLC has no equalizer changes or other effects enabled.

The only variables I can think of is maybe the Galaxy note 3 limits UAC1 somehow? Or the players I'm using on the note 3 are causing it?  Or the mini to micro USB cable is creating such a variance then the longer USB - mini cable supplied with the C5D.  

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #2,429 of 3,417
  While using the 5CD over UAC1, I am noticing a quality difference when playing a 24/96 file on my computer using VLC vs the same file on my Note 3 which also plays it at 24/96.

The file being Muse - Follow Me Flac.

Using my computer + vlc just sounds a lot better.  When using VLC I hear all the different parts of the song grab me and demand to be listened too, while from my Note 3 I find myself trying to listen and see if I can hear the same thing.  I have done 15 random blind swaps over the space of 2 days and I can always tell which one is the better sounding one to myself(vlc on the computer).

Trying to figure out what is going on here.  Any thoughts?  I am no expert.  VLC has no equalizer changes or other effects enabled.

The only variables I can think of is maybe the Galaxy note 3 limits UAC1 somehow? Or the players I'm using on the note 3 are causing it?  Or the mini to micro USB cable is creating such a variance then the longer USB - mini cable supplied with the C5D.  

Might be the music player app you're using in Note 3 that's giving you less than ideal audio quality. Neutron and USB Audio Recorder Pro are highly recommended among the list of players available. 
There's a dedicated thread for Note 3 users here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/678952/samsung-galaxy-note-3-24-bit-192khz

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #2,430 of 3,417
Might be the music player app you're using in Note 3 that's giving you less than ideal audio quality. Neutron and USB Audio Recorder Pro are highly recommended among the list of players available. 
There's a dedicated thread for Note 3 users here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/678952/samsung-galaxy-note-3-24-bit-192khz

The difference is probably how well the compressed files are uncompressed by each player. I think you will find the two to be virtually the same quality with FLAC files, that if they can play uncompressed files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back