JDS Labs ATOM Amp
Oct 19, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #496 of 641
Hawh. Maybe I just have a defective stack then.. I'm not complaining though, it's getting cold this time around and I'm in need of hand warmers anyway. Thanks for your input, hopefully mine don't set on fire down the road lol.

I would suggest that you contact them either by phone or email. Their website jdslabs.com has a customer support page accessed through a drop down menu, on the upper left hand corner of their website’s homepage. When I have had questions, I’ve called and emailed them. Through the emails / customer support form, my questions were answered VERY quickly by owner/CEO John Seaber. Really great and customer supportive team there. They’ll definitely give you the straight scoop on the heating up issue. 314-252-0936 contact@jdslabs.com

Nov 2, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #498 of 641
Damn these things are good.

P8430344-02.jpeg

Nov 11, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #502 of 641

The review says, "I know that Schiit stack (Modi + Magni) is made of metal, of course, that’s beneficial."

How is it a benefit? What are people doing with to their Schiit stack that they need metal. Dropping it on the floor?

My Atom just sits there. The plastic case makes no difference to me in terms of functionality. Although I would like the headphone amp heavier, since it can tend to move around when plugging and unplugging the cable.

So it seems to me it's mostly an aesthetic choice. The notion that Atom has lesser build quality is wrong if it doesn't affect functionality. Somehow, "build quality" got twisted around in recent years to also reflect aesthetics.

Nov 11, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #503 of 641
The review says, "I know that Schiit stack (Modi + Magni) is made of metal, of course, that’s beneficial."

How is it a benefit? What are people doing with to their Schiit stack that they need metal. Dropping it on the floor?

My Atom just sits there. The plastic case makes no difference to me in terms of functionality. Although I would like the headphone amp heavier, since it can tend to move around when plugging and unplugging the cable.

So it seems to me it's mostly an aesthetic choice. The notion that Atom has lesser build quality is wrong if it doesn't affect functionality. Somehow, "build quality" got twisted around in recent years to also reflect aesthetics.
Well, the metal chassis is more durable, feels better in the hand, is heavier (which could have solve the problem with the AMP's weight) etc.

Also, i disagree with the final statement. Build quality doesn't have to affect the functionality bo be rated. Schiit modi/magni is built better, so i couldnt have rated it any higher.

Nov 11, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #504 of 641
Well, the metal chassis is more durable, feels better in the hand, is heavier (which could have solve the problem with the AMP's weight) etc.

It's a desktop headphone amp. Why are you frequently holding it in your hand? Why is that durability needed?

That's my point. Many of these so-called "build quality" differences that people cite have nothing to do with the functionality of the amp for it's intended purpose.

As far as the weight, JDS Labs could have put heavier weights inside.

Nov 11, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #505 of 641
It's a desktop headphone amp. Why are you frequently holding it in your hand? Why is that durability needed?

That's my point. Many of these so-called "build quality" differences that people cite have nothing to do with the functionality of the amp for it's intended purpose.

As far as the weight, JDS Labs could have put heavier weights inside.
I'm a reviewer, and my "job" is to rate the device.

Put Atom and Magni side by side. Magni is built better, is heavier, more sturdy, feels better, looks better due to materials used. So it would have been rated higher in build quality section. End of story :)

Nov 11, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #506 of 641
I'm a reviewer, and my "job" is to rate the device.

Put Atom and Magni side by side. Magni is built better, is heavier, more sturdy, feels better, looks better due to materials used. So it would have been rated higher in build quality section. End of story :)

So you are saying it's overbuilt? That I would agree with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back