JDS Labs ATOM Amp
Jul 30, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #466 of 641
I just received my new Atom amp to run my HD600's. This is an entirely different beast than my Woo WA6 (v1). :astonished:

In every way and more so than I anticipated! Everything about the WA6 just feels solid and nice. In comparison everything about the Atom is really light and cheap. It doesn't feel like it will last forever... but then again it's just sitting there so it will probably be just fine. And at this price it's completely replaceable.

:dt880smile:

For a quick feeling of upgrade for the Atom, get an aluminum knob to replace the plastic one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FVLVB55/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

knob.jpg

Aug 2, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #468 of 641
Also, on rock albums the Atom is what I call loud at 11 o’clock, on quieter albums (mastered for more dynamic range) I’m still below 1. At low gain. Excellent stuff.

... I do which there was a luxury upgrade version that feels better. What’s inside is not really the only thing that matters.
Why not check out the EL AMP II?

Its a nicer version of the atom with slightly better measurements, and slightly more power in a nice enclosure.

Aug 2, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #469 of 641
> Why not check out the EL AMP II?

Well that is the logical step up indeed. Importing from the US is prohibitively expensive though, especially when you go over €150. And Schiit and Topping also have products in the ~100USD range that should be good, have local resellers, and are maybe more solid in construction. So, that makes it a bit hard to just plunk down and go for the EL Amp. So, maybe as an upgrade some time, but not as my first foray into high performance solid state amps.

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #470 of 641
I tried to put some more comparative listening in today. I had a great time listening tunes and rediscovering old standards, but as far as a "test" goes it was kinda lame. No way to level match properly, and no blind nothing. What I thought was an improved clarity, blacker backgrounds, in the Atom might also have been an effect of my CDP's internal DAC vs. the outboard Cambridge DACMagic: I'm not super sure about it today. Honestly, these amps are so close in sound it's hair splitting. For instance the wood and snares of the bass in "So What" (Kind of Blue) are equally amazingly detailed in both, like you have your ear next to the instrument. Nick Drake and his guitar picking is great to listen to in both. This is High Fidelity!. Perhaps a bit more clearly detailed in the Atom? I don't know, hard to know for sure: I went back, swapped some cables around, and found both amps to be really close in sound again. I guess that's a glowing review of the Atom, as it's only $100 and at that cheaper than some tubes I have for the WA6. I used to have (ages ago) a Meier Corda amp and that was just really lame compared to the WA6, it just couldn't handle the Sennheisers. It seems some pretty amazing steps were made with solid state designs the past few years.

What I always found troubling about A/B testing is that you tend to look for differences really hard and you trick yourself into hearing things. Properly reviewing and comparing subtle differences (dacs, amplifiers that are powerful enough, etc.) is harder than people make it out to be. Different speakers or headphones are pretty easy to distinguish, but everything that is already nearly transparent is so close... maybe it stops mattering. Don't tell that to anyone though. A $100 amp cannot be that good right? :wink:

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #472 of 641
Just thought I would add something to the thread. In case anyone is going to use this as preamp.

I just recieved a XTZ Edge A2-300 power amp and they work great together. Especially if you are looking for clean, quite and fairly neutral. They both have good measurements and low noise floors. I have them feeding my Klipsch Heresy and have to put my ear to the tweeter and turn up the volume on the atom to hear it. But I also have the gain on the xtz around half way because I don't listen at concert levels.

Aug 30, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #475 of 641
Hey, planning to get the Atom. I have few questions, hoping some owners here can help. I am am iem person so getting it for my IEM's mostly, can it handle low sensitive iem's without any hissing issues, my main driver is a fearless S8F. Can the atom handle fast busy tracks well? I am talking about extreme metal music in particular. Would Topping D10s be a good dac option for the Atom?
Your help is much appreciated, Thanks

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #476 of 641
Hey, planning to get the Atom. I have few questions, hoping some owners here can help. I am am iem person so getting it for my IEM's mostly, can it handle low sensitive iem's without any hissing issues, my main driver is a fearless S8F. Can the atom handle fast busy tracks well? I am talking about extreme metal music in particular. Would Topping D10s be a good dac option for the Atom?

If you contact JDS directly through e-mail they'll answer these questions better than anyone here can:

contact@jdslabs.com

https://jdslabs.com/support/contact/

Aug 31, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #477 of 641
Aug 31, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #478 of 641

I don't have the S8F but I have the Legacy 3 iem which has around 9 ohms impedance and 108dB SPL/mW sensitivity. It has no hissing issue on the Atom amp, dead silent.
I normally listen to classic rock and alternative rock, for me, they sound excellent on my setup(topping D30 dac/Atom amp combo).
There are other budget combo you can also consider these days, like Topping E30/L30, Schiit Modi/Magni 3+(or Heresy), etc.
If you already have your eyes on D10s/Atom combo, that looks a very good combo as well.

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #479 of 641
I don't have the S8F but I have the Legacy 3 iem which has around 9 ohms impedance and 108dB SPL/mW sensitivity. It has no hissing issue on the Atom amp, dead silent.
I normally listen to classic rock and alternative rock, for me, they sound excellent on my setup(topping D30 dac/Atom amp combo).
There are other budget combo you can also consider these days, like Topping E30/L30, Schiit Modi/Magni 3+(or Heresy), etc.
If you already have your eyes on D10s/Atom combo, that looks a very good combo as well.
Thanks for your reply. I am torn between these exact same options lol..Atom amp or L30 amp. D10s or E30 dac. Can't find any proper comparison among these models. I like slightly detailed brighter signature than warm and bassy.
Between I am also looking to purchase the Legacy 3 as well, Can you please share your opinion. Does it sound good for hard rock/prog rock/classic rock/jazz/grunge? I have S8f for the detail monster in me, now looking for something smooth with fuller sound but surely appreciate some details as well. Thanks @Raikon33

Sep 1, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #480 of 641
Thanks for your reply. I am torn between these exact same options lol..Atom amp or L30 amp. D10s or E30 dac. Can't find any proper comparison among these models. I like slightly detailed brighter signature than warm and bassy.
Between I am also looking to purchase the Legacy 3 as well, Can you please share your opinion. Does it sound good for hard rock/prog rock/classic rock/jazz/grunge? I have S8f for the detail monster in me, now looking for something smooth with fuller sound but surely appreciate some details as well. Thanks @Raikon33

There is an Atom DAC now too. In my opinion the safe bet is the Atom stack, it's completely neutral and will leave the sound signature up to the headphones, and absolutely zero concerns about product support in case you run into any issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back