Jaycar Rebranded FA-003/HM5
Jun 2, 2012 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

coonster

New Head-Fier
I am very close to pulling the trigger on these: http://www.jaycar.us/productView.asp?ID=AA2065&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1015#4
My question is whether these are really the best deal for $70 USD ($50 + $20 shipping).  I currently use the Sennheiser HD201's and like neutral sound and sound staging (which is what the HM5/FA-003 is known for).  I'd like to find the most detailed pair for my money.  Thanks in advance!

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 32
oh boy.. First it was Brainwavz, then Lindy Electronics, then the Yoga Electronics, and now this..

in total there are five of the similar looking headphones from five different brands...

I dont know whether or not they are similar to each other in sound, but if I were you would rather saves up money a little more and buy at least the Brainwavz one just to be safe.. that is if you're looking for the FA sound.

cheers,

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 32
There was another thread about this before. Yes, they're the same. Yes, it's an excellent deal. Grab it while you can!

Jun 18, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 32
FYI.
I inquired about the Jaycar from the actual vendor in AUS. I'm told they are not the same as the Fischer 003. I'm not writing this to start a war, just trying to share info.

BTW, does anyone know the best place to buy the Brainwavz HM5? I thought I saw a price of $109 last week, but I cannot locate it, now. Thank you.

Jun 18, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 32
I*f they are the same then it's a hell of a deal!

Jun 18, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 32
FWIW, I was simply aiming to find out the truth for myself about the various re-brands. So, I wrote to Jaycar. Here's a portion of the reply from Jaycar.

[size=x-small][size=10.0pt]The headphones that you mention are a premium [/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=10.0pt]studio quality unit, however, they are not the same[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=10.0pt]as the Fischer FA-003.[/size][/size]

I wish they were the same because that would be great for all of us. Based strictly on this comment, it seems they are not the same. If anyone knows for sure, please tell us. [I'm not debating the accessories, I realize those are different.]

Jun 18, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:
FWIW, I was simply aiming to find out the truth for myself about the various re-brands. So, I wrote to Jaycar. Here's a portion of the reply from Jaycar.

[size=x-small][size=10.0pt]The headphones that you mention are a premium [/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=10.0pt]studio quality unit, however, they are not the same[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=10.0pt]as the Fischer FA-003.[/size][/size]

I wish they were the same because that would be great for all of us. Based strictly on this comment, it seems they are not the same. If anyone knows for sure, please tell us. [I'm not debating the accessories, I realize those are different.]

They are not the *same* in that they are not branded as Fischer, they do not come with velour pads or the shorter cord...
They are the same in terms of them sounding the same (I havent heard them, based on many opinions from the FA003 thread).

I imagine the jaycar employee who wrote them looked at the packaging and went 'nope, doesnt mention fischer fa003..'

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #11 of 32
Thank you Regicide.
My goal was clarity.
I PMed another member in the interim. He wrote that based on A/B tests they sound the same. Good "enuf" as they say.

Thanks for everyone's contribution.

Now that I know this, I'm going to order some ear cleaner, Jaycars and some pad thai.

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #14 of 32
While these do sound good, the Jaycar costumer service leaves a lot to be desired. The left can gave up on me after only one month of use. It can no longer produce frequencies below 200 hz or so -- the bass is completely dead. I contacted them almost two weeks ago, but they simply won't answer my emails.

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:
While these do sound good, the Jaycar costumer service leaves a lot to be desired. The left can gave up on me after only one month of use. It can no longer produce frequencies below 200 hz or so -- the bass is completely dead. I contacted them almost two weeks ago, but they simply won't answer my emails.

Call them. If you're in the Americas, call them at night (time zone difference).

They suck with e-mails, but their customer support was pretty awesome when I called.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back