Japanese Brand IEM Thread
Sep 29, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #31 of 67
Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #32 of 67
When I was in highschool around 1990 Japan was the leader by miles in portable audio.
Exchange students from Hong Kong always had the sweetest cassette players, super compact, all metal with remotes and logic controls, stuff that was years ahead of what we got here.
My first steps in audiophilia was then with my Aiwa Walkman and prized Sony ear buds. The latter cost me $100 used a sapphire diaphragm, ceramic housing and oxygen free copper litz wire. Lol, I still remember those features but friends thought I was nuts spending that money on earphones. They did sound good but were limited by its physical design, not being sealed there's only so much bass a tiny driver can produce without using your canal as part of the production.

May 11, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #35 of 67
Following, I live in Japan now so I hope to score some audio goodness before I leave.

May 12, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #36 of 67
I've actually been making a list so I am prepared for my trip later this year. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Radius -- already have and love
Sony
Pioneer
Jvc
Final audio
Ocharachu -- hopefully I can find them
Acoustune -- very interested in giving a listen

And then I have some hp on my list also, but this is an iem thread.

I think you mean Ocharaku, which is indeed a Japanese manufacturer. Webpage: https://ocharaku.jp/sound/technology_english/

Canal Works is a Japanese CIEM company, I've seen some models listed on null audio: https://www.canalworks.jp/

Oriolus is also a Japanse brand, Fostex also Japanese and they have IEMs on their lineup. Audio Technica of course, Acoustune. Onkyo had full size headphones and IEMs in the past, not sure if they are still making headphone though. Denon has some IEMs too but nothing really interesting. The Yamaha EPH-100 was well regarded in headfi years ago :)

Kumitate CIEMs I think are also not very well known here in headfi, I'll leave a link into their CIEM gallery http://www.kumitatelab.com/gallery/ciem/ they also have one universal IEM which you can see in the product page

Personally, the only JAP IEM I have is a pair of Final Audio E2000 but I have been always interested on some JVC woodies. On other gear and full size headphone, well I'm kind of a Fostex and Denon fanboy :)

DSC_0461.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #37 of 67
Sep 1, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #38 of 67
Sep 3, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #40 of 67
How many of the ‘Japanese’ IEMs are actually made in Japan? The Final Audio E1000 I got were made in China…
They might be not made in Japan but one thing that Jap-fi IEMs trump Chi-fi is with QC. Although Final E-series has much maligned QC so in a way I agree with you.

Sep 3, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #42 of 67
How many of the ‘Japanese’ IEMs are actually made in Japan? The Final Audio E1000 I got were made in China…
Acoustune, Made in Japan
boxed2.png

Sep 4, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #43 of 67

Maybe some boutique brands and summitFI types are made in Europe/US, but by and large most of the western brands are also made or assembled in China.

Sep 9, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #44 of 67
Hello everyone, I am new to this thread, invited by @ehjie , and I have a tale to tell of Japanese Generosity!

For quite a while, I had been quite interested in 634EARS SARN II, and had placed an order. The price was about $160, and even though there are numerous single DD iems at that price range, somehow I was feeling the need of a wooden shell IEM. On top of that, I have this knack of trying to find hidden treasures - these are the two reasons why I felt myself drawn towards 634EARS, even though I had an earlier inkling for the JVC woody iems. But anyway, I digress.

So I hit 634EARS up on instagram, and got talking. Let me tell you - it's a one man company, and he is an extremely nice person to deal with, but, he also does not take crap from anyone! (Loved that about him, by the way.) I read the sound signature of SARN II, and found out it has a bright sound with strong low end. Now, while I am fond of strong low end, and I prefer some amount of brightness, too bright iems makes it fatiguing for me, and I was also concerned about the bright Asian tuning. So I discussed all of these with him, and asked if the brightness of SARN II can be mellowed down. He explained that only 8ite-TS have the warm and mellow sound signature, SARN II is not designed like that. He shared with me a histogram chart of Frequency Response of SARN II, and informed that he can tweak its tuning slightly to reduce upper end attacks a bit as per my request. I decided to go with that. Paid the amount, and then sit tight.

About two weeks later, he shared with me two different histogram charts with the said modifications - one had more reduction in the upper frequencies than the others. He suggested the one with less reduction, I took his advice and confirmed it, and sit tight. He shipped my iems a few days later.

Once I got the package, and I opened it, I found all the mundane items - cables, a very nice hardshell box, 3 sets of eartips - 2 normal silicone, 1 whirlwind, C rings for further tuning, etc. The iems were in a different box, and when I opened it, this is what greeted me:

20210907_162818.jpg

Folks, there were not one, but TWO PAIRS OF IEMS!! I was completely overwhelmed and surprised and giddy! He decided to gift another pair of IEM just like that!! I never even asked him! What a man!
And then I noticed the writings on the pouches - the stabilised wood one is what I originally requested, and it has the name SARN II written right there. The other one, however, has the name Special written on it. I recognised the housing from his insta page - it was a Granadillo Wood housing. So then, barely able to contain my excitement, I popped the SARN II in my ear. Suffice to say I was completely blown away, but I will continue with my initial impression of SARN II in a later post. Thereafter I tried on the Special, and was surprised to find it rocking a completely different tuning! It was more bassy, with much more fuller midrange, and slightly smoother upper range. Bass was bumped up in quantity. The tuning was different, but still quite good.

Then, I noticed a black thank you note, which, when turned over, revealed this:

20210908_232718.jpg

Guys...I mean...I can't even...he made this SPECIAL specially for me, trying to match my taste from what little I told him! Later through insta DM he confirmed that he tried to replicate the 8ite-TS sound signature with a PET DD, as that is what I requested at first. I of course could not thank him enough for being so sincere...he is one gem of a person, honestly!

I cannot thank you enough, Masashi Saita. You will have my gratitude forever and always for being so sincere to try to create an entirely new iem for my taste, even though you had no obligation to. Thank you. You have a big heart and I feel so fortunate to have a touch of it in my possession.

Sep 9, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #45 of 67
Hello everyone, I am new to this thread, invited by @ehjie , and I have a tale to tell of Japanese Generosity!

For quite a while, I had been quite interested in 634EARS SARN II, and had placed an order. The price was about $160, and even though there are numerous single DD iems at that price range, somehow I was feeling the need of a wooden shell IEM. On top of that, I have this knack of trying to find hidden treasures - these are the two reasons why I felt myself drawn towards 634EARS, even though I had an earlier inkling for the JVC woody iems. But anyway, I digress.

So I hit 634EARS up on instagram, and got talking. Let me tell you - it's a one man company, and he is an extremely nice person to deal with, but, he also does not take crap from anyone! (Loved that about him, by the way.) I read the sound signature of SARN II, and found out it has a bright sound with strong low end. Now, while I am fond of strong low end, and I prefer some amount of brightness, too bright iems makes it fatiguing for me, and I was also concerned about the bright Asian tuning. So I discussed all of these with him, and asked if the brightness of SARN II can be mellowed down. He explained that only 8ite-TS have the warm and mellow sound signature, SARN II is not designed like that. He shared with me a histogram chart of Frequency Response of SARN II, and informed that he can tweak its tuning slightly to reduce upper end attacks a bit as per my request. I decided to go with that. Paid the amount, and then sit tight.

About two weeks later, he shared with me two different histogram charts with the said modifications - one had more reduction in the upper frequencies than the others. He suggested the one with less reduction, I took his advice and confirmed it, and sit tight. He shipped my iems a few days later.

Once I got the package, and I opened it, I found all the mundane items - cables, a very nice hardshell box, 3 sets of eartips - 2 normal silicone, 1 whirlwind, C rings for further tuning, etc. The iems were in a different box, and when I opened it, this is what greeted me:

20210907_162818.jpg

Folks, there were not one, but TWO PAIRS OF IEMS!! I was completely overwhelmed and surprised and giddy! He decided to gift another pair of IEM just like that!! I never even asked him! What a man!
And then I noticed the writings on the pouches - the stabilised wood one is what I originally requested, and it has the name SARN II written right there. The other one, however, has the name Special written on it. I recognised the housing from his insta page - it was a Granadillo Wood housing. So then, barely able to contain my excitement, I popped the SARN II in my ear. Suffice to say I was completely blown away, but I will continue with my initial impression of SARN II in a later post. Thereafter I tried on the Special, and was surprised to find it rocking a completely different tuning! It was more bassy, with much more fuller midrange, and slightly smoother upper range. Bass was bumped up in quantity. The tuning was different, but still quite good.

Then, I noticed a black thank you note, which, when turned over, revealed this:

20210908_232718.jpg

Guys...I mean...I can't even...he made this SPECIAL specially for me, trying to match my taste from what little I told him! Later through insta DM he confirmed that he tried to replicate the 8ite-TS sound signature with a PET DD, as that is what I requested at first. I of course could not thank him enough for being so sincere...he is one gem of a person, honestly!

I cannot thank you enough, Masashi Saita. You will have my gratitude forever and always for being so sincere to try to create an entirely new iem for my taste, even though you had no obligation to. Thank you. You have a big heart and I feel so fortunate to have a touch of it in my possession.

Congrats again Ace (@Ace Bee)
My own experience was a purchase from Yaxi pads, another Japanese est.
From continued patronage, I personally received an a3 size yaxi print poster, on top of normal b3 size freebie!
That was nothing compared to your current experience, euphoria is the word that comes to mind.

Enjoy your new set and please share your impressions, when you can. Thanks...
:beerchug: mate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back