Japanese Brand IEM Thread
May 10, 2019 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

DocHoliday

500+ Head-Fier
710be8rleHL._SL1500_.jpg

Several requests over on the Chinese/Asian IEM thread for a more specific "Japanese IEM thread", so....voila.

61nlVPuCMaL._SL1500_.jpg

Sony and JVC come to mind almost immediately. Perhaps those of you with the classic/old skool Sony & JVC models can start off with feedback on how said classic models compare to the ever-expanding choices available today.

61PV4PBLb5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

B008G80F6M.02.jpg

Looking forward to your feedback.

Doc

May 10, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #2 of 67
Sony's Asian:scream_cat: I thought that company was started by Mr. Bono and Cher in Cali:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 10, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 67
Sony MH-755 is now a classic. A true budget gem!

Indeed, they are what the Monks are but for iem's:beerchug:

Where I think the Japanese excel are in the CIEM realm, thinking Empire Ears and Fitears are Japanese no? Are 64 Audio also Japanese? Why am I posing this to all of you I have google ability:rolling_eyes:

May 10, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 67
Sony MH-755 is now a classic. A true budget gem!

I just bought the MH-755 on eBay. Can't believe I haven't heard of these gems until recently.

May 10, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #8 of 67
The JVC HA-FD02 is an excellent bargain if you are willing to do a mod.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jvc-ha-fd01-class-s-solidege.868414/page-13#post-14870966

They are supremely comfortable, play any kind of music well, but they are particularly great for vocals.
I bought them as an upgrade to the chinese Moondrop Kanas Pro, and while those were good enough to get me hooked on IEMs, the FD02 with the mod is just a lot better at almost the same price.
Timbre is very accurate (I am very ciritcal with classic music), bass is weighty and hits hard (although not as fast and textured as the Sony EX800) it is clear, detailed and smooth. Running a frequency sweep I hear very smooth treble, extending well to my hearing limit of 15kHz. No spikes, just a few moderate bumps.

Really a great and very solid buy!

May 10, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 67
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/jvc-ha-fd01-class-s-solidege.868414/page-13#post-14870966

They are supremely comfortable, play any kind of music well, but they are particularly great for vocals.
I bought them as an upgrade to the chinese Moondrop Kanas Pro, and while those were good enough to get me hooked on IEMs, the FD02 with the mod is just a lot better at almost the same price.
Timbre is very accurate (I am very ciritcal with classic music), bass is weighty and hits hard (although not as fast and textured as the Sony EX800) it is clear, detailed and smooth. Running a frequency sweep I hear very smooth treble, extending well to my hearing limit of 15kHz. No spikes, just a few moderate bumps.

You had my curiosity, now you have my attention! What mods did you do to em? Do they have the same driver as the FD01??

May 11, 2019 at 12:06 AM Post #10 of 67
You had my curiosity, now you have my attention! What mods did you do to em? Do they have the same driver as the FD01??
Yes, they use the same driver as the FD01. Check the linked post about the mod, very simple and reversible.

May 11, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 67

So I imagine You (and probably many others, especially based on graph of modded) would take it in modded configuration over Oxygen, KPE, EX800ST; KXXS anytime?
Really got me interested as it is cheaper than Oxygen and about same price with KXXS. Not planning to "upgrade" till my KPE dies but will leave a mark about this.

May 12, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #12 of 67
So I imagine You (and probably many others, especially based on graph of modded) would take it in modded configuration over Oxygen, KPE, EX800ST; KXXS anytime?
Really got me interested as it is cheaper than Oxygen and about same price with KXXS. Not planning to "upgrade" till my KPE dies but will leave a mark about this.

The answer to this question is mostly yes :)
I sold the KPE after getting the FD02 and listening to both for a few weeks. I did like the floating mids and rolling sub bass of the KPE, but overall it was no contest.
The Oxygen - I had only a few minutes with them, so I can't fairly compare them. But in those minutes I didn't hear anything that would make me consider getting them over the cheaper FD02.
KXXS - I would be interested in hearing them. IMO, the FD02 has a faster, more textured and more even bass response than the KPE. From what I read it seems the KXXS changes the tuning of the KPE but does not change the fundamental driver and design.

EX800ST - now that's an interesting comparison.
Since I have that one, I can say more about it. It's really different, and most times I clearly prefer the FD02. It's so much more musical.
The EX800ST is designated a monitor IEM and I think that hits the nail on the head. It is accurate, revealing and spacious, it lays out the music in front of me.
The FD02 pulls me into the music. At work, I can't listen to the FD02 because if I get to a really good song I can't focus on work anymore.

Within the next weeks/months I will put the FD02 to the test against the AK T8iE MKII.
That's $300 vs $1200 MRSP. It will be very interesting how it holds up.
(Street price of FD02 in Japan is around $200, international around $270)

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #13 of 67
Any legit sellers of MH-755 on eBay? If someone can direct me to a seller selling genuine ones it'd ve really helpful. Thanks in advance.

May 15, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #15 of 67
I've actually been making a list so I am prepared for my trip later this year. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Radius -- already have and love
Sony
Pioneer
Jvc
Final audio
Ocharachu -- hopefully I can find them
Acoustune -- very interested in giving a listen

And then I have some hp on my list also, but this is an iem thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back