James444's IEM giveaway thread (competition has ended - see post #344 and #354 for winners!)
Aug 16, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #286 of 428
Hope i'm not too late I just found this thread.
James it speaks volumes about your character for you to run something like this. In the very few trades I've done here they all went smoothly and it seems like everyone's like-minded as far as courtesy and honesty, you fit right in.

Recently I became interested in IEMs. After working another day with horrible music to listen to I realized a nice set of IEMs would be the answer. Currently i'm searching for nice bass response and I'd love to get my grubby little pays on the Atrios in this post. I am worried that high-end IEMs would be wasted on my ipod touch however.
I'm considering selling my ipod in search of better SQ but I have yet to fully test the SQ from the Ipod. Seems like there is a bit of a bias against Apple products here, but I can fully and truly believe the DACs in my ipod suck, i can't imagine apple spending additional money on a DAC.
Anyways, Thanks again James for running this and wish me luck :wink:

Aug 16, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #288 of 428
This is very generous!  I've been wanting to hear the Atrios for a while now, but they are out of my price range at the moment and I don't know if I could test them out nearby.  I;ve been having issues with my Hippo VBs and just want something that works at this point.  I've also heard good things about the FX500's bass department which intrigues me.

Thanks alot for the chance James!

Aug 16, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #291 of 428
Very generous of you James, whether or not I get drawn, I figured this is as good of time to share how I got where I am on Head-fi.

Having come from some basic ep-630s that I thought the world of I entered the world of head-fi and made the purchase of a pair of RE2s, being unsatisfied I stumbled upon opinions of two specific members that would shape my future headphone purchases (dfkt and joker). When reading reviews it is hard to decern what is being written, lush mids, boomy vs punchy bass etc means nothing to a new member. Therefore I embarked on the balance armature side of IEMs starting with the westone series (1 and 2). With these IEMs I was able to decern what the definitions in reviews went and eventually through the gracious help of joker realized that the sound signature of balanced armatures were not for me.

That being said however, before the nal in the coffin for balance armatures I would wish to set out and try one triple driver IEM. The ck100 while the least likely for me to own presents an interesting sound signature. One of my dislikes for the W2 was the lack of fullness in its sound, while the mid centric style of the w2 was to my liking due to my preferences for vocals in my music. Therefore based on joker's review of the ck100 (joker whom I trust absolutely in terms of his opinions for everything headphone related) the ck100 present as a very mid forward phone while not sacrificing the quality of the bass or treble. While it would be nice for me to give these a try, I congratulate the winners of the IEMs.

Thanks for reading.

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #292 of 428
This would be my first post here at head-fi.. Just trying out my luck..
smile_phones.gif

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #293 of 428

Quote:
This would be my first post here at head-fi.. Just trying out my luck..
smile_phones.gif

james DON'T COUNT THIS POST.

that said, welcome to head-fi jvm13. and, before you make any official purchases, sorry about your wallet.

Aug 17, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #295 of 428
I'm also trying my luck!! I have entered this world of high fidelity lately, and don't know a lot about it. I found this thread while searching whether hm-602 or a pair of sm3 will be a better choice now.

I bought a RE-Zero lately, and as you can see from my review, I was not perfectly content with the highs in the zeros. I've heard that CK100's highs are beautiful, and the top-tier IEM comparison chart even showed that the CK100s did a better job in highs than any other. I think I would be very happy to hear the IEM even for once, since CK100s are rare here in Korea, they are very expensive because of the tax. Since I'm a not-so-rich student, I think it would be a very good(and rare) experience to listen to them. It will also solve my dilemma between the SM3 and the HM-602, and I will happily buy the hifiman.

oh yeah, I can't forget mentioning how generous you are
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #296 of 428
thanks for doing this giveaway! i would love to have the opportunity to compare the ATH-CK100's to my UE triplefi10's :]

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #297 of 428
You are very generous giving away your in ears. I'm not really at home in the iem world. I mostly listen to headphones and speakers but I've been considering getting some high end iems for some time. The fx 500 seems very interesting as I like bass but some describe it as having overwhelming bass and harsh treble. ck100 is also very nice 
etysmile.gif
  (very good review).

Aug 17, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #299 of 428
Hey, that's very kind of you!
Of course, I'd love to participate in the drawing, but I'm not entirely sure I understood the rules right (English isn't my native language). I'd be grateful if you'd let me know how can I correct potential mistakes.
I would be very happy to get any of thease (as you see in my sig, I'm quite a beginner and didn't have chance to listen to more expensive IEMs), but I'm most interested in:
1. ATH-CK100 - as they are told to have very nice soundstage and I didn't ever listen to such HP, also I was always interested in detailed IEMs (+ I like the visual design)
2. Atrio M5 - as there are times when in the mood for headshaking bass of simple hip-hop or dance music so the M9 I own probably would be replaced with something better :)
3. JVC FX500 - for most time I listen to "guitar driven" music, and as FX500 are told to be good at it, I'm also interested in thease.
The Cyclones also seem to sound good so getting them would also be a nice treat.

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #300 of 428

[size=10.0pt]I have been watching this thread from the day its started, and finally it gave me some reason to become a member of this fantastic community after such a long time, considering I don’t own nor afford to own any high-end pair of ear-phones, hence have nothing to say of any value here that hasn’t been said before, the best I ever owned being the PX100. Being a student sucks in this way!!! 2 more years, ughhh!![/size]

[size=10.0pt]Was waiting for the 600th post, but couldn’t hold myself longer anymore, so here it is...[/size]

[size=10.0pt]I’m not going to write up on the accessories available on any of these phones, considering we’re getting this as an early (very) christmas present from our very own Santa, the one and only one of a  kind Mr. james444. It becomes our duty or at the very least a kind gesture to James to justify the earphones especially the CK100 with a worthy setup that makes the gems of those earphone proud, if you choose to keep them.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Starting with the Audio Technica CK100[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Launched on 15th October 2008, the CK100 was the first triple-driver universal IEM ever produced by the Japanese manufacturer. These earphones are best known for their superb mid and high frequency reproduction which is belted out by their 2 drivers (for the highs & mids) while the third is one for the bass. Weighing a measly 4gm, these are no flimsy earphones, built from titanium housings, the CK100 are a veritable tank in comparison to even the finest quality builds of earphones from all over the world.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]As I have never tried any of these IEM’s, it’s unfair for me to write anything about them, so here it is, quotes from reviews...[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Bass :[/size]

[size=10.0pt]|joker| : “the rumble commonly found in high-end dynamics is nearly nonexistent and the bass is very tight and fast…”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]james444 : “Well defined, quick and punchy bass. Amazingly detailed highs, cymbals are wonderful…”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]|joker| : “Initially everything is quite ordinary, with a subtle low end that gets bolder as the frequency counter approaches triple digits…”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Midrange : [/size]

[size=10.0pt]|joker| : “Towards the top of the midrange the emphasis reaches its peak without a trace of harshness or sibilance, resulting in a shiny but very controlled sound. Midrange detail is actually easier to discern with the CK100 than the CK10 due to the far greater midrange weight…”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]toughnut : “CK100 mid the best so far, compared to all my past IEMs….CK100 mid sound a bit thick, probably coloured if compared with other IEM. Clearer due to better transparency….”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]james444 : “the voice is somehow off. Overly nasal and slightly coldish, this is not how Al sounds in real life. The mids are clearly a weakness of this IEM. Other than that bass is nice and unobtrusive, but not up to the e-Q7….”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Highs :[/size]

[size=10.0pt]|joker| : “the shimmering and energetic treble is about as smooth as it gets without a sacrifice in quantity…”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]james444 : “Great and very detailed highs. Very nice soundstage, equal to the e-Q7. Piano is good but not amongst the best…”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]james444 : “Bass, highs, detail and soundstage can keep up with the best, but these mids ruin the song for me…” (to consider that james said later that CK100 mids are not harsh after he got the Cowon i9)[/size]

[size=10.0pt]www.touchmyapps.com : “Trance fans like myself who enjoy space and speed will enjoy the CK100 with any flavour of electronic…”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Sound Signature & Conclusion :[/size]

[size=10.0pt]toughnut : “[/size][size=10.0pt]IE8 more towards low end prowess while CK100 on mid and high...”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]www.touchmyapps.com : “They shimmer on edge and grow into previously empty spaces. The effect is live, big and enraptures the listener…”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]|joker| : [/size][size=10.0pt]In terms of presentation the CK100 also holds its own quite easily against the best of the best. Though the soundstage is not the widest or deepest in absolute terms, instrumental separation, spatial positioning, and imaging are superb, especially in the midrange and treble.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]|joker| : “[/size][size=10.0pt]Combined with the absolutely astonishing way in which the CK100 renders strings, woodwinds, and brass instruments this gives them an almost magical quality with string quartets and orchestral pieces. When vocals are present the CK100 always places them front and center…”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]|joker| : “If not for the tendency of the CK100 to reject otherwise decent sources for their tonal balance, I would have no problem declaring the CK100 the best sounding IEM I have heard; it certainly shows the most technical potential…”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]The JVC FX500 : [/size]

[size=10.0pt]As the CK100 applies to the group of people who are into Instrumental Rock, Rock, Trance….The FX500 is more for people who are into low I mean very low, deep and punchy bass. [/size][size=10.0pt]With a hybrid structure using a wood dome unit and brass ring, the HP-FX500 provides high specific gravity to the drive unit. Also this design can reduce the vibration and energy loss. They’re oneof the favorite pair of wooden headphones but aren't exactly geared up for on-the-go use, thanks in part to their large size and ultra-professional cabling. [/size]JVC’s creation in many ways, is a work of art: blemish-free, smoothly polished, and beautiful, it does not look like an earphone which can be had for less than 150$.

[size=10.0pt]Bass : [/size]

[size=10.0pt]Townyj : “[/size][size=10.0pt]All I have to say is wow! These things are quite insane for bass impact! I was looking around for awhile for some earphones…”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]h1a8(anythingbutipod.com) : “[/size][size=10.0pt]These things are making me sick. I thought I was a true basshead until hearing these things for awhile. These have way too much bass…”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]flacvest([/size][size=10.0pt]anythingbutipod.com) : “[/size][size=10.0pt]It's like OH, neat, there's Bass after ALL, and its LaYeReD and s-e-p-e-r-a-t-e-d... that's different….”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]james444 : “F[/size][size=10.0pt]antastic drums and bass impact, only a little bit too bloated…”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Mids & Highs : [/size]

[size=10.0pt]james444 : “Highs are good, guitar and piano again very natural. Soundstage on par with e-Q7. Overall amongst the best….”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]AMW1011[/size][size=10.0pt]([/size][size=10.0pt]anythingbutipod.com) : “[/size][size=10.0pt]The only real weakness of the FX500s is that they are brutal with the highs. If something is sibilant or harsh in the recording, the FX500s will do absolutely nothing to blunt it. They are sickeningly detailed in the upper ranges and this can turn a lot of people off…”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]touchmyapps.com : “[/size][size=10.0pt]The FX500 presents one of the most natural sounding boards for violins, strings, pianos, and even reed instruments where musical fibre is thick, fibrous, and ready for consumption….”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]james444 : “Vocals feel recessed in comparison(to e-Q7). Very good and detailed highs….”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]Sound Signature & Conclusion :[/size]

[size=10.0pt]james444 : “Overall very good for classical with more bass than the e-Q7 (might be too much for some)….”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]touchmyapps.com : “[/size][size=10.0pt]The FX500 sound signature could be summed up in three words: “rich and thick…”[/size]

[size=10.0pt]AMW1011([/size][size=10.0pt]anythingbutipod.com) [/size][size=10.0pt] : “[/size][size=10.0pt]if you like a flat frequency range then they aren't the best, but they really are not very exaggerated. The bass is deep and punchy, but also has a very wooden texture and speaker-like reverberation…[/size][size=10.0pt]“[/size]

[size=10.0pt]I’m not going to write about the other IEM’s basically because I’m more concerned about the top two IEM’s that are in Santa’s bag, which deliver to two completely opposite types of signature, though the Atrio M5’s are more similar to the FX500 in the low frequency range. A surprise gift is included in the form of CKM70 which may make it’s new very lucky owner proud or not.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]But as I’m more of a Joe Satriani, Dream Theater, CCR, Metallica, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin kind of guy who hardly ever wanders towards the Jay-Z or Snoop Dogg path, just only a bit of Infected Mushroom or Daft Punk and Placebo when in the mood I would really like to own the ATH-CK100. Those would be my baby for years to come, loving them more than my girl friend(if she sees this, I’m dead!)….
ksc75smile.gif
[/size]

[size=10.0pt]James if you get a better more deserving guy/girl to give it too, I would really like to have the ATH-CKM70 considering so little of what is written about them, I would love to review them(and have my first review too) and make the head-fier’s more aware of them.[/size]

[size=10.0pt]At last thanking James for this wonderful opportunity he has presented to all here to own these fantastic pair of earphones, and showing the type of generosity Head-Fi has never seen before.
beerchug.gif
[/size]

Ahh! well, made it at 300, not bad, feel quite lucky!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back