James444's IEM giveaway thread (competition has ended - see post #344 and #354 for winners!)
Aug 8, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #167 of 428
I'm actually quite interested in what the Cyclones have to offer. Owning an R02proII via headphonic australia's high recommendation, I want to do my own comparison of it. Because I have higher end phones and use them more often, I would never go out of my way to compare lower end phones. Similar situation with the Atrio M5, I've only heard them briefly, too much so to form an opinion about them, but another relatively unknown iem on head fi that is recommended by my local headphone shop is something that I'm interested in. The Ck100 has always been a love but cannot keep phone for me, it would be amazing if I could have one and still be able to keep a mid fi headphone.

Now to finish on a less selfish note, perhaps those who are able could donate a few dollars, seeing the amount of posts in this thread, that could buy a nice gift to reward such generosity. Since I don't have paypal I don't think I'm suitable to start one, but if anyone else wants to take the initiative that would be very generous.

Aug 8, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #169 of 428
This is an extremely awesome gesture. Thanks for helping make this community such an informative place for the past six years and hope to see you around here for (at least) six more
beerchug.gif

Also please do not count this post as an entry - I give my random number up to the next in line. 

Aug 8, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #170 of 428
hmm.... dun mind participating. Wanna give the cks a try...lol

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #171 of 428
Though this giveaway still can't compare in value to the brimming wealth of information you've contributed to Head-Fi that compels audio noobs like me to keep coming here, this sure comes close!
thanks man

You've got a nice array of giveaway phones there, all evident of the fact that technology advances fast! And I can see why you would choose these phones to give away, as you've already moved on to bigger and better ;o

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #172 of 428
I'd love a chance to try out the ATH-CK100, as I've had many upper midrange and lower upper range fullsize cans but nothing as fast as CK100 supposedly is thanks to its dual BA tweeters.  It would certainly be an interesting experience since I never really ventured into IEM land.
Keeping my fingers crossed 
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #173 of 428
I have CK100 and i REALLY love the mids and the female vocal it produce.... not a bass monster but the mids and the highs are what i needed when listening to some rock songs.

anyways i have to applaud you sir, for having the thought of doing this.... and good luck to all..

thanks

Aug 9, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #174 of 428
What a way to celebrate! 

I feel its only right to give advice after you've received it as a new head-fier, but giving away something that you own or worked for really brings a sense of giddiness to me.

Around the time that I joined I saw another head-fier giving back in the act of a giveaway, and it really made me feel "welcome" in a way. 

Anyway, I'd like to stay outta this one. 
wink_face.gif

Good luck everyone!

Aug 9, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #175 of 428
Awesome gesture, James444. I hope these end up to head-fi members who only have cheap headphones. If I get any of them, I'll be giving them away to friends - who knows, maybe they'll get the sound quality bug 
biggrin.gif

That said, I've only heard the Atrio M5 out of all these. They're amazing headphones, the one who's getting them is in for a treat.
Not only for bassheads too - the low frequencies are really important for many kinds of music. Violins, organs, cellos etc sound amazing.
I've had them for more than 2 years and they've cured me of my upgraditis.

Aug 9, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #176 of 428
Thanks for the chance, James444!

To start, I must say I'm pretty thrilled by the ATH-CK100. A good half of the music I listen to is violin and piano solo repertoire. That means highs are really important, and from what I've read, ATH-CK100 excel there. To those who know what I'm talking about, the mid color is excellent for the lower tones of the violin, especially played by someone like Jascha Heifetz. Other than that, I'm quite glad that the silicone tips are smaller than usual, since my ear canal is not very wide at all.
Also pretty jittery on the PR2 because of the clear highs and mids. However, I heard that it has really heavy bass, which could be a bad thing since it can be heavy enough to cover up the mids.
The JVC seems really great. I'm especially enthralled by the reception of the bass. People have noted that it is fast, deep, and punchy. That has to be the perfect bass. Though, considering from what I've read, the bass covers up the mids too much. I guess these will be reserved for my rap and hip-hop collection.
I haven't heard much from the ATH-CKM70 at all. Though, the all metal casing is very appealing.

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #177 of 428
Thanks james444 for your generosity in holding this IEM giveaway.

I will like to try them as i have heard good things about at least one of them.

JVC FX500: I tried 2 other IEMs housed in wooden housing and they are the Crossroads Woody 1 and Woody 2. And i like the sound coming out from those. Those "rich and thick" sound is like i like about IEMs housed in wooden housing, but i believe different manufacturers make their IEMs differently and therefore will like to try these.

Cyclone PR2: I can't exactly try these locally in Singapore but i have heard great things about them. Many states they it has a bassy presentation and at the same time these don't sound muddy. Never tried something like this before and hope to give it a go.

Cyclone PR1 Pro: Same as PR2, i can't try these in Singapore. I heard that the presentation from these phones are very natural and airy, and sounds pretty much a winner at the price range it priced at. Wouldn't mind giving a go for these as i never heard something like this before, although from the review it sounds pretty much like the e-Q7.

Atrio M5: I know this is something that is comparable to the SF5EB that i owned. Earphones that sounds bassy, but from what i heard from the others, Atrios' bass is somewhat more natural and the highs aren't rolled off like the EB. Will like to try these and compare them to my beloved EB.

ATH-CK100: Triple driver flagship from Audio Technica. Having own the SE530, which is the first triple driver IEM (if i remember correctly), will like to try how the triple driver flagship from Audio Technica sounds like. From review, it seems that it sounds pretty much close to the SE530, but more neutral and natural. Something that i will like to try.

ATH-CKM70: There aren't much review about these phones on the web, but hearing from an online friend that owns this. He told me that they have crystal clear highs, great mids and deep clear bass. Hope to give it a try myself.

Lastly, from what i learned from being in headfi for so long. Different people have different perspective and liking when it comes to IEMs, and i shouldn't rely too much on review. Therefore, i will like to try any of the IEMs from the list.

Once again, thanks james444 for holding this IEM giveaway.

Cheers!

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #178 of 428
Sorry for the kind of miniscule post i had before, it was late and i just got back from vacation (thanks for the 2 week timing).

I am interested in the CK-100 too (what a surprise).  It's build quality and sound signature is appealing to me.  I've lately been moving from bass-heavy sound to a more mid-centric sound and I've been enjoying it.  I know the mids of the ck-100 are colored, but its also supposed to have the really great highs.

My other interest is the CKM-70.  From what I've read of the CK-7, I can only hope that the CKM-70 is similar and offers the highs.

As for the FX500, they have recessed mids, which isnt too much to my taste.

And the M5 I feel is too dark for me.  Im certainly looking for something brighter.

Of course, free earphones are free earphones.  Anything you have left and everything you have up there are all good IEMS and Im willing to take whatever you have left.

Many thanks for this event.

Aug 9, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #179 of 428
well done James,you are a generous man my friend.please skip this post as i only wanted to comment about your generosity and others may need any of these iems more than me.

cheers.`

Aug 9, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #180 of 428
I'm curious to hear the CK100 mids, and probably wouldn't want to hear the FX500 due to my tastes in midrange. Although something along the lines of the Atrio might be a guilty pleasure for me :) 

Your generosity is commendable :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back