James444's IEM giveaway thread (competition has ended - see post #344 and #354 for winners!)
Aug 8, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #152 of 428
This is very generous of you. Always nice to see someone giving back to the community. I've read a lot about the Cyclone PR1 pro and have tried some of the ECCI earphones. I would be interested to hear the PR1 given how hard to find they seem to be these days.

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #153 of 428
Awesome IEMs you got there, James444...Atrio being the bass monster it is, and both Audio Technica models, one of them the demanding flagship with remarkable clarity and impressive highs and mids, so appraised by ljokerl and others...I do notice though that there are several AT models in your list...any special reasons for selecting the CK100 and the CKM70 for the giveaway? It's just that I really like the company, being the proud owner of a CKM-50 and a CK7 (pretty much low-tier, but the company's prices do not allow me to have more than that), and was wondering if you're giving them just because you don't use them as much as the others...

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #155 of 428

Quote:
Left to right: JVC FX500, Cyclone PR2, Cyclone PR1 Pro, Atrio M5 (w/o package), ATH-CK100, ATH-CKM70

I have always tended toward bass-light phones: my main-stays having been HF5 and RE0, so my first choice would probably be the ATH-CK100. Always wanted to try AT. However, I also got one one those $99 TF-10, which have helped me appreciate bass more, although I usually EQ out the mid bass with my Rockboxed 5G ipod. I might like to try the Atrios, then.

This truly is a nice idea.  So, thanks for the opportunity.

(oh, and my name is james)

Aug 8, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #156 of 428
Quote:
I wasn't able to dig up much on the cmk70 though

Quote:
I agree not much info about the cmk70, I couldn't  find much at all.

Maybe because it's CKM70, not cmk70?
wink.gif

But seriously, there's indeed little info on these. Basically they are quite similar to the CKM50, but a good deal heavier due to their stainless steel housing. IME they need an amp to shine. Great synergy and little hiss with the AMP3 btw.

Quote:
...any special reasons for selecting the CK100 and the CKM70 for the giveaway?

No, same as for the others, they just don't get the playtime they deserve. Hopefully this will change with their new owners.
smile.gif

Aug 8, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #157 of 428

Quote:
IME they need an amp to shine.

I am very surprised to hear this considering their description at AudioCubes, "ATH-CKM70 from Audio-Technica has a newly developed driver that produces louder sound and better sound range."

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #158 of 428
This is very, very nice of you. Many thanks for doing this, even if I don't get picked.

Aug 8, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #164 of 428
Congrats on your 4 years of contribution to head-fi!

Wondering if the bass on CK100 is a step up from CK10? I had tried the CK10 and although I find its treble to be excellent, its bass leaves a lot to be desired. I favour the UM3X over the CK10 for its balanced signature. Couldn't audition the CK100 as it is not sold in any of the shops here in Singapore. Only read that its bass improved significantly after burn-in and better than Shure E4G.

But I think CK100 will provide a better fit than CK10 as I found the CK10 to be too small for my ears. CK100 is shaped like the e-Q7 I previously owned.

Aug 8, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #165 of 428
What an incredibly nice gesture.  Good on you, James.

Well, I wouldn't mind hearing the ATH-CK100  as I've never owned or heard armature IEMs before.

Good luck to everyone.                                 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back