James444's IEM giveaway thread (competition has ended - see post #344 and #354 for winners!)
Aug 8, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #121 of 428
FX500 are very good for most genres music and bass is rich, deep and detailed. But i feel mids are not as detailed as some other IEMs and soundstage is wide..

Aug 8, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #122 of 428
CK100's Clarity >> FX500

FX500 reviews:

By Shigzeo: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/302873/victor-hp-fx500-review-world-s-first-wood-canalphones
By Townyj : http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/355491/jvc-victor-fx500
Fake Ones : http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/492189/fake-jvc-fx500-is-here-photos-inside

Aug 8, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #125 of 428
Wow!!!  James you are truly a generous person.  Thanks for the opportunity to win one of these sets of headphones. 

I must admit, I don't know much about any of these except the JVC FX500s.  I wanted these so bad but decided to get the Denon AH-C710s since they were cheaper (I just couldn't afford to spring for the extra cash at the time).  I've heard that the highs are just a little too harsh and making them hard to listen to after an hour or so; especially if metal, punk, etc is being listened to.  I also heard the same about the Denons but never had any issues with them. 

I hope I win and can see for myself.  Better yet, I'd like to see how the CK100s sound.  The left side of my Denon earphones just died today.  Think sweat may have gotten into it since I was doing yard work while listening to them.  Does anyone know what the Denon policy is for headphones (their website wasn't too helpful) or if they can possibly be repaired?  I'd hate to toss them without knowing if they can still be salvaged. 

Anyway, good luck to everyone who enters the giveaway.

Aug 8, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #126 of 428
You are a fantastic guy James.  Not many people are willing to do what you're doing.

That being said, gotta love how everyone is gunning for the CK100s.  something about costing 400 bucks, me thinks..   anywho, having the ck10s and loving them for their highs, I can only imagine that the ck100s will do that for me with mids.  Someone long ago (may actually have been you, James) said that ATH, being a japanese brand, makes equipment to maximize enjoyment of japanese pop music, which of course, has a strong emphasis on high and mids.  I personally love female vocals, so mids and highs are definitely the major point of interest for me.  I think AwakenedBeing said that the mids of the ck100 are so smooth that only customs can compare, if this is true, then they probably do justify their cost.

I've also heard that the Cyclones are excellent bang for buck IEMs.  haven't actually looked into them too much though.

Cheers, and thanks for the giveaway.
~alex

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #127 of 428
God six years dealing with one community... That's nearly 1/3 of the total time I've been alive!
It's great to see a member who celebrates by giving back rather than just posting some worthless message saying "Go me, I've been here forever..."
Regardless of if I win or not I commend you for doing this, it is really fantastic.

beerchug.gif

PS: I think the rules should have been one post per member, it's just going to be a thread full of people trying to turn it into a discussion thread maximizing their chances.
I personally wouldn't award that kind of approach, but that's just me.  

Aug 8, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #131 of 428
Typical how a give-away makes many (me included) to post...

Anyway, despite owning RE0s right now, for many genre's their anaemic bass seems underwhelming and failing some electronic or rock... been looking at the M5s for a less analytical flavor and moar bass.

As others have said, thanks for the giveaway, hardly any would do such a thing.

Aug 8, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #132 of 428
This is a great opportunity for many Head-fiers to broaden their horizons, I must say. Many props to you, James. :D

I haven't heard any of them, but I've heard of many of them. Mainly on in this forum :)

Good luck to everyone!

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #133 of 428
Awesome. Count me in!

From what I've read on head-fi, I am most interested in the ATH-CK100s and FX-500s. The ATH-CK100s seem to be very balanced, after reading Sieg9198's Impressions thread (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/409871/audio-technica-ath-ck100-impression). I've listened to the IE8s, W3s, IE7s, and MTPGs, and from those IEMs I look for balance with an emphasis on mids and highs. From this thread, it seems like the CK100s are excellent in the highs and have colored, forward mids. Although I'm more into accurate sound reproduction, I would also like to just try out a fun, enjoyable pair of IEMs that have a "colored" sound. The fit also seems to be really good too, light on the ears.

I've mostly read up on the FX700s, which are the flagship. Based off of shigzeo's review, (http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/302873/victor-hp-fx500-review-world-s-first-wood-canalphones), they seem to be a pair of IEMs that can produce a natural sound. The cable's material is durable, and the isolation seems to be spot on. It seems to be a headphone that focuses on lows and highs, kind of like the sound signature of the W3s. I'm very interested to hear it and review it myself.

Thanks a lot for the opportunity to win such great IEMs! And congratulations on being a great head-fi member. =)

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #134 of 428
Wow, thanks to everyone for this overwhelming response and to old friends as well as newbies for their kind words! 
I hope you'll forgive me for not taking the time to reply individually, so once again thank you all.
smile_phones.gif
smile_phones.gif
smile_phones.gif

As a result of your feedback I've updated post #2 to include some kind of FAQ.

I hope this will help to address some concerns and clarify the rules. Please let me know if I have got anything wrong or if you have further questions.

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #135 of 428
This is becoming the hot thread currently. Good luck to all those who hopes to get james' iems. By the way, just out of curiosity, James, have you consider getting custom earphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back