James444's IEM giveaway thread (competition has ended - see post #344 and #354 for winners!)
Aug 7, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #107 of 428
Haha what a great thing to do mate!

Thanks for the chance to win!~
etysmile.gif

Aug 7, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #108 of 428
Wow, thank you so much for this contribution.
And I remember how I was so split between the FX500 and C710 when I decided to take the plunge into my first pair of decent IEM's. Sometimes I find myself thinking about how I, not anyone else, would perceive the differences between the FX500 and C710. They're both great IEM's for the price, I'm sure, but I'd still LOVE to hear them and do a comparison between the two.

Aug 7, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #109 of 428
james-
Wow! First of all congratulations on your six year anniversary on HF. I can't recall what exact day I signed up, but I think I'm up there too! 
biggrin.gif

I will throw my name in the hat for the giveaway. It is so remarkably generous of you that I don't know what to say! I think I'd be most curious to hear the CK100's of anything listed. 

The ones I have experience with are the Atrios and FX500's. If I remember both correctly, they both possess subterranean bass, with the FX500's perhaps a bit cleaner in the low end. The 500's are much wider in the soundstage, and have a good deal more treble detail. Both phones show some brightness/harshness, particularly the FX500's. Also, both have some midrange recession, especially the Atrios. I guess you could say that the FX500's are kinda like the more grown up, more refined Atrios. But the Atrios really walk all over the FX500's in isolation, if that is important.

If I were to wind up with a phone that I hadn't heard, and wound up not caring for their sound, I would most certainly pass along the kindness by offering it up free of charge for another prospective owner, a la James. 

Kudos to your generosity, and the idea behind this whole concept. HF could use more generous individuals such as you, James! 

Aug 7, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #111 of 428
Knowing there are people out there kind of enough to do this gives me warm feelings inside :D. I would be ecstatic to receive any of these iems. I have been trying to add to my love of music through good gear, but a tight budget makes this hard for me. I recently ordered the DBA-02 (almost cried spending that much money lol) which is my first 'high end' iem. It would be great to hear other iems and compare once I receive the DBA-02s.

The ck100 would be amazing! Ive read they have the best build quality, non-fatiguing, and all around good sound. Not neutral but colored and fun, which is great. The price of these means I will never ever own them, so I would probably faint if I received these :D.

I was told by Joker that the Cyclone pr1 pro has the best soundstage hes in in iem. If I cannot get the ck100, these would be great as well.

Good luck to everyone! Especially me 
k701smile.gif

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #114 of 428
thanks very much, as it seems many have said before, your generosity is amazing.
CK100's....my local store has them for a crazy $677AU. lol

you've got a very nice range of interesting IEMs to give away, so thanks again

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #116 of 428
I would be interested in winning one of those, but based on past experiences I never win as luck is not on my side.

What you're doing is great. Congratulations on your sixth year anniversary on head-fi.

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #117 of 428
Well, I'd love to hear any of these IEMs. ATs have always intrigued me, since they seem to be another member of the neutral club. I have the Atrios so I don't really need another pair of them though.
The Cyclones are something I have wanted for a while but I never took notice until they were all sold.

Oh, and if I win, I'll gladly pay the shipping!

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #119 of 428
Well, I've personally only heard the CK100 for a short while at an audio store in Singapore.
During the audition, I was rather amazed at the unique presentation of sound the CK100 gave.

Highs:
This is definitely the strongest point of the CK100 with its bright sound.
The different cymbals in the drum set could clearly be heard and was very well separated.

Mids:
After owning the Ortofons, I would say that the mids of the CK100 are comparable, but I would still prefer the e-Q7's.

Bass:
I feel this is where the CK100 loses out to other earphones.
The bass is comparably weak and covered slightly by the highs and mids, but still present nonetheless.

The Audio-Technica sound signature from the CK100 that I've tried is very unique and hard to find.
It is definitely not for the basshead, but perfect if you're looking for something with a good soundstage and clear presentation of details.

(Sorry if my opinion seems off. It has been quite some time since I last tried it. Doing this from memory of why I liked it (aside from the cost >_<).)

Good luck to everyone and kudos for your generosity!

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #120 of 428
Wow, what a great giveaway and opportunity James, thanks!

I have to admit, like most other people in the thread the CK100 stands out the most to me mainly because of how well rated they are. From what I have read on them "wow" is probably the right word to use in summing them up. Speed, detail and seperation is something I personally love and the CK100s apparently have those three characteristics in spades.

The sound signature, as described by Joker in his massive IEM compared thread, is exactly what I love. MIDS! Very forward mid-range and fast bass sounds almost too good to be true in what is already a very nice sounding package, it just seems to me that the CK100 is everything I could want in a pair of IEMs.If that wasn't already enough for me, the CK100s preserve their sound sig at low level volume which is something really nice as I love to go to sleep listening to my music, retaining that great sound in this instance is yep... just wow.

I'm simply drooling at the chance to hear these beauties, I would love to have them and they blow away everything else in terms of quality. Head-and-shoulders above the competition, really. Being one of the best IEMs in the world, how could I not want to hear them?

I should probably put down a second preference, without trying to sound greedy but there is so many people that are after the CK100s that chances are slim and if I did get chosen and the CK100s were gone, how would you know!?!

Now not to say that I wouldn't be happy with any of these IEMs because from my general reading over time, I found you had quite a mix of sound here. The JVC FX500 probably being the most bassy is one that stands out next for me and also made out of wood? Seems like a very interesting mix and would love to hear some wood IEMs. Their close competitors being the M5 are said to have large bass as well but with better isolation from outside noise. I don't find that a problem for my listening purposes in my quiet little environment here and so the choice comes down to which has the better sound. The FX500s are said to be cleaner and their soundstage much better than the M5 straight up and so really, the FX500 blows away the M5 as my second preference.

Next up is the CKM70 vs FX500. Finding reviews of the CKM70 was tricky and although most reviews tended to say that they had great sound, I doubted whether those people had much experience with IEMs of high quality. That goes without saying that the CKM70 are quite nice and are a lot more balanced than the FX500. Most likely the difference in sound here is going to be that the FX500's bass will over-power and muddy the sound a bit when compared to the CKM70 which will end up sounding more analytical, something that I have noticed the ATH signature to be. Whilst not exactly having too many sound-impressions to put between the two, I think I will still have to keep the FX500 as my second preference in this battle, out of personal interest, don't hate me!
biggrin.gif

I must admit that I have not heard much about the two Cyclones and they tweak my interest the least out of everything else, perhaps only because I haven't read about either of them! The PR1 Pros have a very nice soundstage according to Joker and they do have quite good sound relative to price but I think personally they couldn't trump the JVC FX500s or ATH-CKM70s at half price. Not exactly a scientific or reliable observation but I must share my logic!

For what its worth, congratulations on your 6 years here at head-fi. The forum has certainly impacted my life and no doubt you too fell into its evil clutches!
etysmile.gif
 I hope you can enjoy the following 6 years just as much!

Thank you and good luck to everyone else in the running

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back