Jaben is selling uber rare headphones on Taobao for exuberant prices
May 11, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:
They are the HP1 and -2. They sound good, but not most-probably not HD800x2 good (give me a HD800 and I'll compare, but judging by the reviews it's why I say "most-probably")... they're just rare and a sign of wealth (yup, coming from a Gradophile collector), for the very few who knows about it... I hope they will be long remembered though :p.

JOE Grados are simply outstanding and highly sought after.  Things changed at Grado when John entered the scene.

May 12, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:
      JOE Grados are simply outstanding and highly sought after.  Things changed at Grado when John entered the scene.

I always thought the HP-1000 white driver was performing at a higher level. I think it's one heck of a beast, as a driver... and timeless wonder (that will never degrade).

But the vintage RS1 is hard to beat also... only headphone that was able to steal some of the spotlight on my daily headphone stands (closer to me). HP-1000s are taking a break right now.

You also get incredible musical results by putting a John Grado of the highest caliber in a full metal housing. Approximately 50% of the people who tried all of these Grado preferred the PS-1 to the HP-1000, that's saying something.

May 12, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #18 of 19
Very interesting notes about the drivers, however I have had a driver joe driver die on me.
I once owned a Sr-200 ,something like 8 years ago, I had it for about a month when one of the drivers straight up died during a song. I had a friend who had spare hp1000 drivers (back then they weren't as big a deal) and ended up replacing the black sr-200 drivers with hp1000 drivers using the same cables/housing.

There have also been cases of "grado rattle" which is where the driver starts to sound like it's vibrating during bass passages. Joe typically replaces the drivers when this happens so I'm guessing that is a "driver failure" sign.

The hp1000 drivers are certainly able to with stand the test of time, to see this many of them 20+ years later still doing great is a sign of that, but as a hp1000 owner, I do fear the chance of them failing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back