I've gone from zero to off the deep end in less than a week.
Jul 17, 2007 at 8:50 AM Post #287 of 331
Did you tested them with flat pad ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Losers

1. Grado RS1 - Sorry to dissapoint...I went into this thing being a HUGE fan of the SR80's (still am), but there is no way in heck that the RS1's are worth $700, especially when you can get the SR80's for $90 or so.

Jul 19, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #289 of 331
Quote:

Winners[/U][/B]
1. Both Denon headphones, the D5000's and D2000's - except for a crappy design flaw whereby the screw holding the earcup to the headband can come lose, these cans represent the best combination of sound quality and comfort that I have experienced to date.
2. Beyer DT 880 - great sound and 90% as comfortable as the Denon's
3. Grado SR80 - Bang For The Buck. Period.
4. Benchmark DAC1 USB - I couldn't be happier with this (these) little unit(s). Got two already and am pining for a third for the office.
5. Audio Technica ATH-ANC7 Noise Cancelers - A full step better than Bose in every way. Get em on Amazon for $140 and you just stole something.

Losers

1. Grado RS1 - Sorry to dissapoint...I went into this thing being a HUGE fan of the SR80's (still am), but there is no way in heck that the RS1's are worth $700, especially when you can get the SR80's for $90 or so.
2. X-Can - Don't believe the hype. Its a gutless wonder. The Pink-Floyd-Made PSU makes a valiant effort to aid the cause, but there is just no magic here. The Benchmark DAC1 USB and PS Audio GCHA clearly outclass the poor X-Can.
3. AKG K 701's - Again, don't believe the hype. These are rather uncomfortable and way too reserved in their presentation. If these cans were a public speaker, I'd whip out the rotten tomatoes and fire away...anything to get the poor bsatards to wake up.

My quick take on the same set of equipment...
I agree with all the winners, but I'd add the Senn HD650, Grado SR325, and PS Audio GCHA to the winner group.

Sennheiser HD650 - I still find the 650's less comfortable than I'd like (and less comfortable than most people seem to say that they are), but they are my very favorite sounding headphone overall. The Stefan recabled unbalanced version didn't add anything appreciable for me, but the balanced setup was a nice improvement. During critical listening, they were just fine in the comfort department, and I can't rave enough about the sound. There is no veil, just a natural top end with no exaggeration.

Grado SR325 - I didn't come into all this all that excited about Grado, I'd read too much about their disposition to a forward presentation to think I'd like them. They definitely have a different presentation than the Senneheisers, but it is not extreme or overdone. I found these very engaging, nuanced, and downright fun. I'll be listening to them more over the next month and forming a more detailed point of view, but I really liked these a lot.

PS Audio GCHA - It's unfair to judge this amp by its DAC section. The DAC is certainly not on a par with the Benchmark DAC-1, but it is certainly competent. The amp section, though, is everything you'd ever want in a solid-state amp. Clean, powerful, and well-constructed, with sound that is without fault.

As for the losers, I am in less agreement:

Grado RS-1's - For me, these only miss the mark by not being enough better than the 325's to justify the price. I might even say that that bass is better on the 325's, though overall detail and resolution does give the edge to the RS-1's, it's not by much. And this was through amps that would certainly be called complimentary, including the Mapletree and the Cary SLI-80. Switched bowls could change my opinion, I did not listen in any condition other than stock.

Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 - This amp might have a little less gain than the Benchmark and the GCHA, requiring a little more on the dial to produce the same volume. Other than that, this amp gets the job done, no problem, any load, any time. I am moving away from a preference for tubes, but this amp, a hybrid, is neutral and powerful, with no signs of distortion. I'd be happy with it even without mods (though the little pinkie PSU adds some confidence to the sound).

AKG K-701's - I think there may be justification indeed for the hype. These are certainly on the laid-back side of the spectrum, but not at the expense of any detail. The bass is deep and powerful, the mids are natural and smooth, and the highs are extended without being overdone. The aesthetics are still up in the air for me, and I haven't made up my mind about the comfort, but I can already see why these have a following.

JVC HP-DX1000 - I'll add this offering from JVC because they offer so much promise but don't manage to deliver. The look, the feel, the quality that drips off these things is astounding. The fit, finish, and comfort are superb. Unfortunately, the sound is merely very good, not up to the price in my eyes. I have hight hopes for version 2, because theses are so good in so many ways already...

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #290 of 331
Quote:

Had a nice mini-meet with islewind and 4N6 over the weekend and tried maybe 15 total headphones and 9 or so amps.

It was great having Bootleg and Islewind over to listen to some gear. I have some similar impressions...

Headphones

Denon headphones: VERY similar sound quality between the D5000 and D2000. Unless you HAVE to have the wooden earcups, save the dough and go for the D2000, then use that dough you saved to recable. I do find these headphones, when compared to the HD650 and DX1000, to slightly exaggerate sibilance. This at times keeps me at arms length from these headphones as sibilance is one thing I detest.

HD650: Still my overall favorite headphone, although the D5000 and D1000 make a good run at them. As COL Potter once said, "not enough o's in smoooooooooth" to describe these. Absolutely fantastic when balanced. I like the Silver Dragon recable the best (between Equinox, Cardas, and Silver Dragon) as its adds just a touch of clarity and sparkle.

DT880: I really liked these. Brighter than the HD650 and a little more forward than the D5000. Hooked them up to the Big Rig (B-52 amp) and they really came alive yet were smooth as silk. Perhaps balanced DT880's are in my future...

RS-1: There things REALLY need tubes. Sounded best with the Cary SLI-80 Signature F1 and to a slightly lesser extent the Mapletree. The solid state amps on hand just did not work well as the sound was just way too thin. I thought these were good but can't say I am going to run out and buy these however.

W5000: I have tried to like these headphones, REALLY I have! They just do not do it for me. Lack of bass weight and somewhat thin presentation. Best synergy with the Headroom Desktop amp, worst with tubes. Not what I expected, although the Audio Technica amp designed for these headphoines is solid state. Go figure.

JVC DX1000: I have much more love for these headphones than Islewind and Bootleg, perhaps because I have lived with them for awhile. The midrange coloration aside, I find these to be about the easiest headphone to enjoy, due to great comfort, a totally smooth presentation without excess sibilance, great bass, and terrific reproduction of space.

Amplifiers

Mapletree: A very nice little tube amp. All the headphones I tried with this amp sounded good, except for the W5000 which sounded its best with solid state (see above). It was sitting next to another tube amp that was triple the cost and held its own very well. Will hopefully be auditioning this little amp more in the future.

PS Audio: I really have to listen to this amp with a better source. Had an old Denon CD player hooked to it that just was not up to snuff, with the sound being thin and without any body or dimension. Judgement withheld until more listening done.

Headroom Desktop (max module/max DAC): Nice amp with very smooth sound and a GREAT internal DAC. Smoother and more full bodied than the PS Audio/Denon CDP set-up. Good synergy with the D1000 and W5000.

Cary SLI-80 Signature F1: This tube integrated amplifier, and its headphone amp do not get much (any?!?) love or publicity here in Head-Fi, yet the sound was VERY good. 40 wpc pure triode amp definitely had the tube magic in spades. A very good match with the RS-1 and DT880.

All-in-all a great mini-meet with some fun equipment to be heard. Looking forward to the next one!

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #291 of 331
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElDanno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for those impressions.

How do you feel about your speaker setup now compared to the headphones you have? What's more enjoyable? Do the headphones sound better or worse?

Wow, talk about coming full circle.

If you recall from the original post in this thread, my ability to enjoy the main speaker rig is severely hampered by my well-meaning but volume-phobic old lady.

That being said, I'll call it a draw.

Its great to be able to fire up the Benchmark DAC1 USB and listen to my Apple Lossless collection through the Denon D2000's (or 4N6's D5000's). I get to privately enjoy whatever I want to listen to at any volume I choose.

On the other hand, if I had my druthers, I'd love to send the kid and old lady out shopping more often so I could really let the McIntosh-Totem-Hsu rig sing. To me, speaker music still trumps headphone music (when allowed by the boss to play it at a fun level), but the former is not always available to me politically.

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #292 of 331
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RS-1: There things REALLY need tubes. Sounded best with the Cary SLI-80 Signature F1 and to a slightly lesser extent the Mapletree. The solid state amps on hand just did not work well as the sound was just way too thin. I thought these were good but can't say I am going to run out and buy these however.

No, RS-1 are perfect with solid state But with flat pad

Bootleg did you tested it with flat pad ??
blink.gif

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #293 of 331
Quote:

Originally Posted by islewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS Audio GCHA - It's unfair to judge this amp by its DAC section. The DAC is certainly not on a par with the Benchmark DAC-1, but it is certainly competent. The amp section, though, is everything you'd ever want in a solid-state amp. Clean, powerful, and well-constructed, with sound that is without fault.

It might be unfair, but to he11 with that noise Jack!

If the DAC section scuks (it does), then PS Audio shouldn't have included it and could have charged $100 less for the darn thing. (or even 50 cents less..the internal DAC is almost worthless when you realize what you are leaving on the table...a simple ipod line-out dock easily bests the PS Audio's internal DAC.)

Further, using the PC as Media Server is the wave of the future AND present. CD's are obsolete. The Lossless media file is now king. I want something that squeezes every last stinking bit out of my lossless collection VIA USB FIREWIRE, METAPHYSICAL SPECULATION, OR OTHERWISE. And the Benchmark DAC1 USB is just what the doctor ordered.

The PS Audio will soon be sold and a third DAC1 USB will shortly be en route.

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #294 of 331
you, my friend are my hero. =P

hope you get more time to post up more impressions on more gear soon!

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #295 of 331
Quote:

Originally Posted by lerio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

blink.gif

lerio, I love you like a brother, but there is no way in he11 that I could possibly track down every tweak possible for all of this gear. My own (perhaps irrational) ground rule for this escapade is to test everything stock. The only exception I have made so far was the acquisition of the Little Pinky, and I regret that. Not due to the Little Pinky, but because the X-Can scuks big donkey tails.

I was gonna buy a pair of pads at headroom, but then found out that they didn't have the real deal...anyone care to send me a pair for review? I promise to shower before each use!

Jul 19, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #296 of 331
Quote:

blink.gif

By the way lerio, and kindly remember that I do love you like a brother, if you are such a fan of the flat pads, then why in the heck does your avatar pic show the RS1's with stock bowls???

I'm just saying...

PS - I also have the Total Bithead, so if you send me your flat pads for an audition, I can, in theory, hear exactly what you are hearing.

Jul 19, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #297 of 331
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you, my friend are my hero. =P

hope you get more time to post up more impressions on more gear soon!

Buddy...cherish your youth. Play your cards wrong like me and someday you'll end up 100lbs overweight, in hawaii, making a decent salary, but married to the absolute best wife on the planet who has only one flaw: SHE WONT LET YOU PUMP YOUR TUNES!

Stay single if music is TRULY your first priority...or ask 4N6 if his lovely wife has a sister--he seems to have the best of all worlds.

Jul 19, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #298 of 331
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As COL Potter once said, "not enough o's in smoooooooooth" to describe these.

I absolutely GUARANTEE that this is the first COL Potter reference in the history of Head Fi!

Cheers to that 4N6!

Jul 19, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #299 of 331
You can't by them at headromm, you can oNLY BUY THEM AT ttvj HERE http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=167

Look like you made same confusion as my about pad (confies and flat) on my avatar my RS-1 does have flat pad, flat pad have a hole just like bowls, but they are less thick and the form are different

Keep in mind that RS-1 was Originally sold with flat pad, later they changed for bowls

Quote:

By the way lerio, and kindly remember that I do love you like a brother, if you are such a fan of the flat pads, then why in the heck does your avatar pic show the RS1's with stock bowls???

Jul 19, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #300 of 331
Quote:

You can't by them at headromm, you can oNLY BUY THEM AT ttvj HERE http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=167

Look like you made same confusion as my about pad (confies and flat) on my avatar my RS-1 does have flat pad, flat pad have a hole just like bowls, but they are less thick and the form are different

Keep in mind that RS-1 was Originally sold with flat pad, later they changed for bowls

Dude!

Let me get this str8...you bought the pads, then cut holes in them so they look like the bowls, and magically the RS1's turn into studly world-beater cans?

Maybe so...

...but something just occurred to me, have you tried the Grado SR325i's and/or SR80's with the same home-brewed contraptions? I'm willing to bet that they undergo similar transformations.

Further, as to the RS1's having been sold with pads...were they sold with pads that had holes cut in them? (I am not being a smart ash, I honestly don't know the answer) If they were designed with holes cut in them then I vow to buy and try them (but in that case why can't I buy them with pre-cut holes...Oy vey!). If not, then I need someone to send me their Grado science project because I can't possibly try every tweak of the week....what if I don't cut the hole just right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back