I've gone from zero to off the deep end in less than a week.
Jul 1, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #271 of 331
I didn't bother to read this whole thread but: OP - you're a knob lol. You're just lucky it sounds like you've got enough money to find what gear you'll like by elimination. It's the ideal way for people to figure out what they like. BUT, make sure you burn in all the cans before deciding, make sure they're all driven as they should be (so no K701's straight of a soundcard PLEASE), and for god's sake, listen to whatever you normally listen to. Don't start listening to jazz with this gear if it's not what you usually listen to.

Have fun.

By the way, this isn't the deep end yet man. This stuff is all top of 'mid-fi.' Where's the multiple sets of electrostats and exotic DACs and belt-driven CD players? :p I'm not impressed til I see K1000, Omega II's, Orpheus etc etc :p

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #272 of 331
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't bother to read this whole thread but: OP - you're a knob lol. You're just lucky it sounds like you've got enough money to find what gear you'll like by elimination. It's the ideal way for people to figure out what they like. BUT, make sure you burn in all the cans before deciding, make sure they're all driven as they should be (so no K701's straight of a soundcard PLEASE), and for god's sake, listen to whatever you normally listen to. Don't start listening to jazz with this gear if it's not what you usually listen to.

Have fun.

By the way, this isn't the deep end yet man. This stuff is all top of 'mid-fi.' Where's the multiple sets of electrostats and exotic DACs and belt-driven CD players? :p I'm not impressed til I see K1000, Omega II's, Orpheus etc etc :p

My understanding is that being called a "knob" down under is a sort of compliment.

Mahalo!

Everything is still breaking in and nothing has been sold yet. (save the total bithead)

Mid-Fi ! LOL!

Lets call this stuff Hi-Fi and that other stuff Tweeker/Nutty-Fi.

By the way, the money is almost gone...any upgrades in the near future will need to be financed by sales of my used gear.

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #273 of 331
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have fun.

Benchmark is not mid-fi.

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #275 of 331
haha...'knob' aint no compliment down this way, but the way it is said/context can change its meaning. like calling someone a 'funny old bast*rd'...then again, it could always be meant both ways
icon10.gif

interestingly, in australia, 'piss-ant' is now considered an insult yet was once a compliment (a little battler, like a bulldog ant).

i agree - the op's actions are akin to buying a few toyota supras, mustangs and hondas when he should have bought a ferrari (for less) from the start. its good stuff all round though imo - generates lots of jobs! go for it son!

Jul 1, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #276 of 331
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Pupil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha...'knob' aint no compliment down this way, but the way it is said/context can change its meaning. like calling someone a 'funny old bast*rd'...then again, it could always be meant both ways
icon10.gif

interestingly, in australia, 'piss-ant' is now considered an insult yet was once a compliment (a little battler, like a bulldog ant).

i agree - the op's actions are akin to buying a few toyota supras, mustangs and hondas when he should have bought a ferrari (for less) from the start. its good stuff all round though imo - generates lots of jobs! go for it son!

LOL - Kindly tell me which is which.

Senn HD650 = Mustang?
Grado RS1 = Toyota?
AKG K 701 = Honda?
Beyer DT880 = Hyundai?

LOL - What a joke.

I agree that my collection is not the Bentley/Ferrari/Lotus set--was never intended to be. But it is definitely, without reservation, a Mercedes/BMW/Lexus class of cans.

Jul 1, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #277 of 331
Lexus....is not in the same class as BMW or Mercedes...

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #280 of 331
If I have the Denon 2000's recabled will that be like putting some 20" rims on my Honda Civic?

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #281 of 331
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootleg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL - Kindly tell me which is which.

Senn HD650 = Mustang?
Grado RS1 = Toyota?
AKG K 701 = Honda?
Beyer DT880 = Hyundai?

LOL - What a joke.

I agree that my collection is not the Bentley/Ferrari/Lotus set--was never intended to be. But it is definitely, without reservation, a Mercedes/BMW/Lexus class of cans.

retail therapy and impulsive buying can have a sobering flipside! sorry to be so amused by your op, but it really does sound like you bought the entire government fleet to see which ford you like best!
biggrin.gif

don't fret, you still have some pretty good gear there.

Jul 2, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #283 of 331
Sure, the HD-650, RS-1, W5000, and DT880 are mid-fi. You need to try some of the really good headphones out there instead. The PS Audio GCHA and Benchmark are Mid-Fi, as are the Mapletree amps. Definitely.

Don't feed the trolls.

Jul 17, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #285 of 331
Well,the Mapletree got here on Saturday, so that means that 100% of the headphones and gear are now in-house.

Had a nice mini-meet with islewind and 4N6 over the weekend and tried maybe 15 total headphones and 9 or so amps.

I don't want to poison anybody before I really have a chance to live with the stuff for a while, but here is my quick list of winners and losers in this game.

Winners

1. Both Denon headphones, the D5000's and D2000's - except for a crappy design flaw whereby the screw holding the earcup to the headband can come lose, these cans represent the best combination of sound quality and comfort that I have experienced to date.
2. Beyer DT 880 - great sound and 90% as comfortable as the Denon's
3. Grado SR80 - Bang For The Buck. Period.
4. Benchmark DAC1 USB - I couldn't be happier with this (these) little unit(s). Got two already and am pining for a third for the office.
5. Audio Technica ATH-ANC7 Noise Cancelers - A full step better than Bose in every way. Get em on Amazon for $140 and you just stole something.

Losers

1. Grado RS1 - Sorry to dissapoint...I went into this thing being a HUGE fan of the SR80's (still am), but there is no way in heck that the RS1's are worth $700, especially when you can get the SR80's for $90 or so.
2. X-Can - Don't believe the hype. Its a gutless wonder. The Pink-Floyd-Made PSU makes a valiant effort to aid the cause, but there is just no magic here. The Benchmark DAC1 USB and PS Audio GCHA clearly outclass the poor X-Can.
3. AKG K 701's - Again, don't believe the hype. These are rather uncomfortable and way too reserved in their presentation. If these cans were a public speaker, I'd whip out the rotten tomatoes and fire away...anything to get the poor bsatards to wake up.

Everything else: Need more time to evaluate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back