ITT: Head-Fi gives me Superior Alternative to Dr. Dre Solo HD Beats (Bass/Crispness)
Dec 29, 2010 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Johnathanta

New Head-Fier
Music preference: Dance/Electronic/Techno/Alt Rock
Headphone needs: Head booming Bass and Crisp Vocals

Currently Using
Shure 750DJ's

Interested in:
Sony XB500

Under 200$ preferred

Sampled Solo HD's
Enjoy the bass, dislike the muddy vocals

THANK YOU!

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 21
Try the Bose On-Ears. Titanic bass fartathon with somewhat more non-bass coherency than the Solo HD's. And IMO, comfier than the Solo's by a country mile.

Personally for $200 I'd call it quits with either the HD25-1 or the SRH840, but if a diarrheaic(sic), voluminous low end is what you're after then the Bose is a slightly better prospect than the Beats.

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 21
I have to place my vote for Grado

my Grado sr80is, compared to Beats in bestbuy, blows them away

Beats have the noise canceling in them, yet cuts audio a bit

Grados would be good for you if:
You don't care about the people around you hearing your music (leakage)
If you don't need a portable set (doesn't fold up, yet doesn't stop me carrying them around on my neck)
Difficult comfort (IMO, they didn't irritate me at all, I just adjusted them slightly)

Grados have great bass with a wide soundstage, clear treble and nice mids (for under $100)

If you want Grado sound, more portable, get some Koss Portapros $32 (a must buy)

Dec 29, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 21
Ehh, Grado's won't give you head booming bass. 

Quote:

If you don't need a portable set (doesn't fold up, yet doesn't stop me carrying them around on my neck)
Difficult comfort (IMO, they didn't irritate me at all, I just adjusted them slightly)

Grados have great bass with a wide soundstage, clear treble and nice mids (for under $100)

If you want Grado sound, more portable, get some Koss Portapros $32 (a must buy)

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 21
Dec 30, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 21
My vote is for the AKG K271 MKIIs, at $149.00 on amazon. They have great bass (which is essential based on the genres listed), as well as they are close and nearly cancel noise, similar to the Beats. No need to worry about muddy vocals either, they have pretty crisp highs.

Although they wont be as transparent as Grados, they will sound noticeably better than the Beats.

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
What Grado prototype are you listening to?

Quote:

Grados have great bass with a wide soundstage, 

Quote:

Quote:

That's what the (under $100) is for

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 21
Are you actually serious? I find my $60 pair of M11+ IEM's have better soundstage then stock grado's.

Quote:
Quote:
What Grado prototype are you listening to?

Quote:

Grados have great bass with a wide soundstage, 

Quote:

Quote:

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 21
Grados don't have wide soundstage... They are infamous for their small soundstage and congested treble/mid range. In fact, I would not even mention a Grado when someone wants something superior to Beats. Completely different territory. Try out Ultrasone HFI 580

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #10 of 21
Yeah...but Grados have almost no sound stage. It is one of those things that you have to decide to be okay with in order to get the great Grado sound. There is IMO good separation, depending on what you are listening to, but no sound stage. They are very intimate sounding...think 1st row center or even on stage with the band.

Quote:

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #12 of 21

And that's the soundstage. When you have them on, they don't feel very different. Yet when you cup the bowls, the sound dies, all tones and notes just suffer a defeat. Example: I was testing out my Sr80is, and I was listening to a live concert. I cups the bowls, and it felt like I was smashed as the sound was smashed. When I released them, the stage opened.

A lot of people ma say that grados have no to little soundstage, yet they are build to give the best sound, with a great price.
Quote:
Yeah...but Grados have almost no sound stage. It is one of those things that you have to decide to be okay with in order to get the great Grado sound. There is IMO good separation, depending on what you are listening to, but no sound stage. They are very intimate sounding...think 1st row center or even on stage with the band.

Quote:

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #13 of 21
I didn't say anything about them not having great sound. I own a pair of Grados and I love them. But they do not have a great sound stage. I wouldn't even go as far as saying they have good sound stage. Like I said before...separation is really good IMO, sound stage not so much.

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
My vote is for the AKG K271 MKIIs, at $149.00 on amazon. They have great bass (which is essential based on the genres listed), as well as they are close and nearly cancel noise, similar to the Beats. No need to worry about muddy vocals either, they have pretty crisp highs.

Although they wont be as transparent as Grados, they will sound noticeably better than the Beats.

these look good and have great reviews, but a lot of people comment that the bass is a little on the week side. would these be good for listening to hip hop and techno/synth music?

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #15 of 21
I guess it depends on how you like your bass. I know a little more bass usually suits those genres better but there are plenty of folks that like that type of music with less bass. I don't know anything about those particular headphones though so I can't help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back