It's official... iPad!!
Jan 28, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #196 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by maporter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks to me like the Kindle / eBook Reader is dead.

Hardly, it's a niche that will continue thanks to the proper use of e-ink. Some casual ebook readers might use it like that though.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #197 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is obviously a reason why the first iteration of the maxi comes functionally crippled, and thats so over the course of the next 5 years or so they can announce new *updated* models, something like, one featuring a webcam, then one with multitasking, then perhaps only wifi and 3g models only available, it will carry on down this route for half a decade until the final model in 2015 will be approaching, but only approaching mind you, what it should have been originally, 5 years too late, at which point they'll anounce another game changer no doubt to fit between the maxi and the iphone.

This. 100%.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #198 of 379
mt1276.jpg

I don't really care, I'm just a troll.
snarf snarf

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #199 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is obviously a reason why the first iteration of the maxi comes functionally crippled, and thats so over the course of the next 5 years or so they can announce new *updated* models, something like, one featuring a webcam, then one with multitasking, then perhaps only wifi and 3g models only available, it will carry on down this route for half a decade until the final model in 2015 will be approaching, but only approaching mind you, what it should have been originally, 5 years too late, at which point they'll anounce another game changer no doubt to fit between the maxi and the iphone.

Yes, Apple does this ALL the time. Thus, the reason why I do not like them. They always come out with great products, but skimp out on their features in hoping that people would buy and upgrade later.

Most of their products are innovative and have great potential, it's a pity that they choose to limit them though, which in my mind makes them seem pretty mediocre.

They could easily be Microsoft or whatever killers but they do not wish to be.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #201 of 379
x2

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #202 of 379
I think the iPad will replace the iPod Touch. The iPod Touch to me, was in the middle between an iPhone and a Macbook. For those people who already had a phone and didn't want to pay for phone service just for the iPhone so they can use all the features on it. The iPod Touch would have been perfect for me if it weren't for the small screen. I wanted to take notes on it in my classes, but couldn't, because the screen was too small, I wanted to sketch on it, but couldn't because the screen was too small, I wanted to browse the web on it, but found it annoying because the screen was too small, I wanted to read on it and display my PDF files on it, but the screen was too small and the processor was really slow with large PDF files.

The iPad can now do all of those things simply because it has a bigger screen. I can even type up a paper right on it now with their entire line of iWorks on it, and yes it is essentially a bigger and more powerful iPod Touch, but I think thats a good thing. The iPod Touch done right this time.

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #203 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by TLY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the iPad will replace the iPod Touch. The iPod Touch to me, was in the middle between an iPhone and a Macbook. For those people who already had a phone and didn't want to pay for phone service just for the iPhone so they can use all the features on it. The iPod Touch would have been perfect for me if it weren't for the small screen. I wanted to take notes on it in my classes, but couldn't, because the screen was too small, I wanted to sketch on it, but couldn't because the screen was too small, I wanted to browse the web on it, but found it annoying because the screen was too small, I wanted to read on it and display my PDF files on it, but the screen was too small and the processor was really slow with large PDF files.

The iPad can now do all of those things simply because it has a bigger screen. I can even type up a paper right on it now, and yes it is essentially a bigger and more powerful iPod Touch, but I think thats a good thing. The iPod Touch done right this time.

I don't really think this is going to replace the ipod touch just because it's not nearly as portable. I love having my ipod touch in my pocket next to my cell phone all the time, this way if I'm out somewhere that has wifi I can use the internet. I like using my ipod touch at Barne's and Noble, because if I'm interested in a book I can look up amazon reviews on it before purchasing, its things like this that will keep the ipod touch around for a while imo. I think the new ipad is cool, but just because of portability, I still want my ipod touch.

Jan 28, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #204 of 379
I have soo many comments to your comments!

Basicly i just wanted to say that I am an Apple-head-fan-boi-whatever :p and I like most you you guys really can't see the point of this "iPad"...

disappointed... aapple.. :/

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #205 of 379
Interesting thread, this product is just a monstrosity. There is no way to truly justify a device so crippled. Lots of people have mentioned that this isnt for techies, but for grandparents and little kids to use easily. Last I remember grandparents love pictures of grandkids and whatnot. How will grandma easily be able to take pictures from her digital camera and send it to family if there is no usb or sd card slot?

Also, wasnt the main hype for the tablet pc to take notes and to use as an ebook reader? Well this product falls on its face in that regard. Tablets need a stylus of somesort so you can DRAW figures while in class along with jotting down some quick notes. IPAD relies on a digital QWERTY for input, which is counterproductive from a physical keyboard. Artists were dreaming of a cheap Apple made tablet to draw on (Modbook doesnt count). As a ereader, this uses a tradition backlit LCD which cant be used in direct sunlight and strains your eyes if your tyring to read for over 3 hours straight, thats why E-Ink dominates in that market.

For the media junkies, this has no HDMI, and no way to simply play media from a usb stick. No flash, so no youtube (Relying on HTML5 is just stupid at this point, functionality needs to be there out of the box).

So, now what is the purpose of this thing? Im failing to see how a non techie could find use of a closed system machine that has a app store, and a browswer. If Apple really wanted to be revolutionary, I know exactly what could have made that happen, and im not asking for anything difficult. Hybrid OS X/ Iphone OS, pretty much just OS X with Iphone App emulation. 1 USB port, 1 Displayport or HDMI, webcam. CULV Intel with 9400m, and a simple stylus support. A Windows 7 Convertable Tablet w/ CULV processor can do all these things, but people buy into the Apple marketing machine and think anything that isnt apple stinks.

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #206 of 379
If these babies can be jail-broken and get cheaper as they get released and apps became more widespread.... many things can happen, hope the iphone and new classic cirus chip or something better is in there.... could make an awesome for movie library over wifi... They did show a device to copy flies from cameras so it may have usb otg to load files from external hdd... cooped with vlc from appstore and were in business
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #208 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A friend of mine just pre ordered one. The local apple store sold 2000 in 2 hours and told him in 8 months it will have a build in DVD slot

Built in dvd slot in the 1/2" thin ipad??
well... if they do dvd slot+ able to play bluray disks~~~ I'll buy one just cus it will be the thinnest dvd player ever!!! Now that's a tech breakthru!!!

I'd doubt that happening tho.
I like apple products - I've got first gen Nano, Iphone 1st gen, Iphone 3g etc.
All great products... but I'll really have to see this iPad.

Hmm... I can't believe this barely -2 day old thread being already 13pages!
wow.oops 14pages!
Free publicity!
Some BAD ... but good for apple.
Like I said in prev. post: - they'd sell like hotcakes in the beginning... then the hype will die down as ppl start to use them and them toss them - JUST like BoSe products.

I say - let the public buy them!
Move the economy!
Let them waste their $$... better spent here than George Foreman Grills and Juicers the size of a microwave! lol
... at least this will add $$ into the e-commerce.

I'll have to say it: Suckers! [don't mean any offense - this is a tech-forum afterall] ... should have bought a Dell,HP,Asus,Acer Netbook for half the price!!!... especially when the screen cracks in half.

triportsad.gif

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #209 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by maporter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BBC News - Apple's iPad touchscreen computer given once-over

Short BBC video showing the iPad in action for those who are interested, nice to see the Apple haters are already here slating the product before it's been launched.

Looks to me like the Kindle / eBook Reader is dead.

That video only shows how the loopy those accelerometers behave when your trying to tilt them. That demonstrator had to try 3 times to get it to turn on its side. I was always running into that. They're nice when its laying flat and youre making small movements, though.

I dunno, I think the iPad is coming off as not so exciting since we've already seen all the real innovations with the iPhone and iPod touch. There's nothing new about this besides the size. And if you've already seen the iPhone's tricks, then there's not that much dazzling about the iPad. It's okay, but not much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back