It's official... iPad!!
Jan 28, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #166 of 379
Desktop <--> Laptop <--> Netbook <--> iPad <--> iPhone

We need more products to fill in some of this spectrum, as I'm not yet bankrupt.

Seriously though, this iPad could have been an absolute "game changer" had it consolidated all of the above, hence the definition of "game changer". They didn't even make the Netbook obsolete. Time will tell though.

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #168 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your missing the point. There worse in that the screens are too small and the keyboards are harder to type on.

In my opinion a netbook/CULV around 11-12" is the perfect balance of screen size and portability. Also, many netbooks have 90%+ keyboard size of a laptop. It takes a while to get used to but becomes more than serviceable. Quote:

Because something is cheaper, smaller, and less functional to use does't make it any better.

What particular areas do you find it less functional in? Gaming, number crunching, AV editing ... these are all more suited to a desktop, despite market trends towards laptops. One would accomplish more with a netbook and desktop than an iPad and laptop, I think it is safe to say. For less.
Quote:

The iPad is more functional and probably more enjoyable in the specific areas it was intended for thus making for a better experince than I had with the netbooks.

Please cite some of these areas. I can't see your internet browsing experience being significantly better with a mobile CPU, no flash support and no keyboard. Quote:

I don't need a one all be all gadget with compromises. I want a gadget to exceed in the task it was desighned for.

As above. This device is compromised without excelling in any particular area, except perhaps seamless UI transitions and kinetic scrolling.

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #169 of 379
When I say functions I'm referring to how well I can perform the task at hand. I understand the ipad has many compromises compared to a laptop and that is why I use my laptop. This is a simple device to perform simple tasks with a more enjoyable experience. That is why I'm intrigued by it.

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #170 of 379
Quote:

When I say apps I'm mainly referring to the productiviy apps. Imagine being able to control your desktop anywhere in the world while using a touch screen device seemlessly. My iPhone does this and the iPad would do it even better.

There is a $250 netbook for that.
(it does that and much more better than this iFail thing)

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #171 of 379
Quote:

When I say apps I'm mainly referring to the productiviy apps. Imagine being able to control your desktop anywhere in the world while using a touch screen device seemlessly. My iPhone does this and the iPad would do it even better.

I agree, productivity apps will make this one. Imagine using Jaadu on this screen! Much easier and I suspect better performing too. But I'm with you, it's all about the "cloud." Heck, I even back up our home machines nightly to Amazon's S3 warehouse.

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #173 of 379
mad.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a $250 netbook for that.
(it does that and much more better than this iFail thing)

I understand this I had several but they were not as simple and enjoyable to use. User experience is what is most important to me now that I've switched to mac. The netbook was the most pain in the arse experience for me. Like I've said the ipad is a loungers dream come true.

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #174 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by aragornmustdie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If this had Wacom Cintiq integrated it would be the gadget of my dreams.

Yes, you, me, and about 4 other people on the planet. Apple don't care about us. They care about people who buy Nintendo DSi XLs, because there's more of them and they have more money to burn.

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #175 of 379
I agree that this wasn't meant to be a revolutionary product. I think with 3g, it will be a great product to lug around for internet, email and video. I don't think it's meant to replace your laptop. The more I think about it the more I'm intrigued by it. It would be great while on the road to surf the web and check email, which is really clunky on the iPone but laptop is packed in the trunk. The $30 data plan is way more than enough usage and cheaper than getting a 3g card for a laptop. AT&T confirmed that yesterday. It would cost $60 a month for 5meg for a 3g card for my laptop, whereas this would only cost $20 or $30 depending on usage. AND since it isn't a contractual usage, you can lower your usage payments. I really want to see how the ereader function works. I would be happy to sell my nook to pay for the 16gig 3g iPad if it works well for an ereader.

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #177 of 379
It's not even available for purchase or even pre-order. Where are you looking?

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #178 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll probably pick up one. What this does is connect me to the "cloud" so it doesn't have to have much local storage. It has all the basic apps that interest me, eMail, contacts, calendar, music, video, maps, and a browser. The screen size, and touch screen are definitely what my wife and I would love. My wife surfs the Web on her iPhone on longer road trips. With the 3G option, it would make that experience much more usable.

It really should have had the same sensor group that the iPhone already has, i.e. GPS, magnetometer, which would have made it even more ubiquitous. And there's no reason it shouldn't have a built-in video camera. (EDIT: the built-in video will be a great tool for video conferencing. Ok, well, maybe that's a stretch
tongue_smile.gif
. I'm just a fan of "2001 A Space Odyssey!" Hey, we can dream can't we?)

I like the data plans since you can buy only what you want/need, a month at a time or unlimited.

The touch screen is the natural way to browse, read and play, and the screen size is just what us over 50 folks want, eh, need. Not sure what the control panel will look like but, we'd better be able to adjust the screen brightness for in-bed reading.

I think the developers are gonna jump all over this one including the gaming community. Depending on how they take to the platform, I think I could easily forego my Powerbook. In fact, even in this basic release, I can't think of a reason to hang onto my lil' 12" G4 anymore.

They didn't mention Flash for the browser. Hmm...

They did mention MobileMe connectivity for eMail but, it wasn't clear if they provided similar MobileMe syncing with my calendar and contacts so that my iPhone, Mac desktop and iPad are "together."

Great post. I sympathize with the tech heads who want everything and the moon, but they're not understanding that they may not be the audience for this type of device. The audience is a mainstream who wants a slick and seamless graphic interface that gets them on the internet and allows them to do the simplest tasks. This is perfect for my gearhead friends, who love cars but can't stand, and don't have the patience to figure out computers. Or my dad who has the patience, but can't seem to figure out the simplest tasks. Or my grandmother who wants to be able to email, but doesn't know how to turn her computer on. Or my nieces who would love to watch Veggietales by simply pressing a couple buttons. Or my Pastor's wife who's hectic schedule would make this a convenient way of compiling notes. Heck, with a few tweaks, I think this could even be a great and convenient tool for documenting care at the clinics I work for, especially at its price point. The iPad's audience is not necessarily going to be the hardcore gamer, or graphic designers, or maybe even audiophiles. Its going to appeal to the everyman who wants a simple medium for entertainment and web browsing.

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #179 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you, me, and about 4 other people on the planet. Apple don't care about us. They care about people who buy Nintendo DSi XLs, because there's more of them and they have more money to burn.

I don't own a DSi (i'm not certain I even know what that is), but is this a bad thing that they're not tailoring to you? If you don't want it why get worked up about it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back