It's official... iPad!!
Jan 28, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #181 of 379
Jan 28, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #182 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoNB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that this wasn't meant to be a revolutionary product.

I could be wrong, but I really think it will be. And I wouldn't consider myself an Applefanboy at all. I don't really care who does what. I love Windows, Linux, Mac, Google, all of them.

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #184 of 379
Apple doesn't even have them for pre-order on their website. They have a "Notify Me" when you can place an order. I wouldn't buy it thru an Apple store. Taxes are too high here. I think I would go with the 32gig 3g version and just keep swapping out stuff as needed.

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #185 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by adrift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could be wrong, but I really think it will be. And I wouldn't consider myself an Applefanboy at all. I don't really care who does what. I love Windows, Linux, Mac, Google, all of them.

I used to be an Apple fanboy, but now I agree with you. Whatever gets me on the internet works for me.

If Steve Jobs wanted me to immediately plunk down my money on one, the first thing he should have done was sit it on a table a pour a full glass of ice tea on top of it. If this is supposed to become my household workhorse to access everything, damn thing better be bulletproof.

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #187 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoNB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't buy it thru an Apple store. Taxes are too high here. I think I would go with the 32gig 3g version and just keep swapping out stuff as needed.

For Apple stuffs, I always buy from Amazon. Always has lower price and no tax.

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #188 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Do /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A friend of mine just pre ordered one. The local apple store sold 2000 in 2 hours and told him in 8 months it will have a build in DVD slot

What are you talking? They could not put a single USB port on this thing for $500+ USD and do you expect a DVD slot.....

and for what purpose??? if the ****ty thing can't load anything that is not coming from iTunes

buahahahahahahaha....

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #189 of 379
Lol, DVD slot. I doubt an Apple employee said that.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #190 of 379
Yeah, I am pretty sure Apple has said publicly they would like to do away with the DVD slots on their FULL SIZE computers in the near future so that one was probably dreamed up by a "Genius."

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #191 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by maporter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BBC News - Apple's iPad touchscreen computer given once-over

Short BBC video showing the iPad in action for those who are interested, nice to see the Apple haters are already here slating the product before it's been launched.

Looks to me like the Kindle / eBook Reader is dead.

Thanks for the flash link, but I can't play it on my iPhone yet nor ironically will one be able to on the iPad.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #193 of 379
there is obviously a reason why the first iteration of the maxi comes functionally crippled, and thats so over the course of the next 5 years or so they can announce new *updated* models, something like, one featuring a webcam, then one with multitasking, then perhaps only wifi and 3g models only available, it will carry on down this route for half a decade until the final model in 2015 will be approaching, but only approaching mind you, what it should have been originally, 5 years too late, at which point they'll anounce another game changer no doubt to fit between the maxi and the iphone.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #194 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I am pretty sure Apple has said publicly they would like to do away with the DVD slots on their FULL SIZE computers in the near future so that one was probably dreamed up by a "Genius."

I totaly agree! My friend isn't a techie so some moron probably told him. I'm not a big fan of apple stores myself so take this with a grain of salt. It's rather amusing to say the least
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #195 of 379
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you would take the time to actually read what i wrote and you quoted, you could see that I never claimed that Apple made the chip, that is all you, somestranger26!

Apple says they designed the chip, and I quoted them right off of their specification page, which is why I used quote marks. Motorola made the entire 68000x line of Apple's early CPUs btw, you can find out more here:

"Apple does use third party components, however. Current Mac CPUs use Intel's x86 architecture; models from 1994-2006 used the AIM alliance's PowerPC and models from 1984-1994 used Motorola's 68k."

Also:
"The PowerPC 600 family was the first family of PowerPC processors built. They were designed at the Somerset facility in Austin, Texas, jointly funded and staffed by engineers from IBM and Motorola as a part of the AIM alliance."

Seems like you are the one who needs a clue, somestranger26.

And yes Apple markets this "crap" quite well, in fact better than anyone else.

Is Apple's success at using words like "revolutionary" when they re-define a paradigm or introduce an entirely new consumer product sector (again and again) what makes you so insecure about them?

It seems to me that they are one of the brightest lights for an American company in this global economic crisis.

Sounds like you're being influenced too greatly by the Reality Distortion Field to have an intelligent discussion. Apple made the processor, via their recent acquisitions. Why bring up Apple's previous use of PPC CPUs when that isn't even what the discussion is about? I'm talking about the ARM CPU that Apple is using right now in the iPad, the subject of this thread.

How is it that you believe Apple has "re-defined a paradigm or introduce [sic] an entirely new consumer product sector" with the iPad? Tablets in this form factor existed long before it, in addition to some recent ones announced by the likes of HP and Dell; enlarging an iPod Touch is not redefining a paradigm when competitors run OSes that are able to multitask.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i never said you said it was made by one of them. and saying its arm plain and simple would be like saying all the processors from AMD and intel ar identical...well, they're all x86,plain and simple. Its just not the case, the processor being used within the iPad could very well be revolutionary in its own right, and still be ARM. As evident by its 10 hour battery life, and that is while watching a movie.

You've got to be kidding me. It's still an ARM CPU. ARM is power-efficient by design, hence why it is used in phones, MIDs, and other portable electronics. 10 hours of battery life is not that impressive. Most smartphones will do that with heavy use, now scale up the size of the screen along with the battery proportionally. Same battery life, bigger battery, bigger screen. x86 is not comparable to ARM seeing as they use the same base instructions (SSE, SSE2, SSE3) but then branch off with SSSE3, SSE4.1 and SSE4a between the two companies. ARM processors in the same generation/category all have the same instruction set, nothing new was added, nor does Apple have any reason to add instruction sets to their custom processor/SoC. These instruction sets are defined by ARM Holdings, not Apple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple has a huge head start on the multi-touch OS from the iPhone, but the two devices use different processors and their OS's will evolve differently, like a fork in the road on the way to two diverging realities.

This is just the Beginning.

The Evolution of this device will be the Revolution
popcorn.gif

Ah yes, the "evolution" of this device as they slowly add features that should have included by default like USB ports, SD card reader, the list goes on. The iPhone and iPad both use ARM-architecture processors and consequently can run off of either an identical OS or a slightly tweaked one to account for the different graphics chip being used. I highly doubt the iPhone OS will be forked since keeping them synchronous means less work for Apple's developers and must have played a part in their choice of an ARM cpu over an alternative like an Intel ULV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back