It's hard explaining to friends/family why you need multiple headphones
Nov 9, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #31 of 154
seriously, its our money, we can do whatever we want with it. we dont have to explain anything to anyone.

only applies to those without the burden of feeding anyone other than themselves.

Nov 9, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #33 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobmgross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"But, honey, they are usually $200. I'd be stupid not to buy them at $125!"

This, except I'm using it to convince myself.

Nov 9, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #34 of 154
You can't explain it. Simple as that. Well I guess you can explain, but usually not in a way anyone else can understand. My brother called recently and was rather proud of himself, and figured I should be too. He'd just bought a $9 pair of Skullcandies. He was very impressed with the sound as it was much better than the ones he usually got from the Dollar Store. I told him that it was great for him and hoped he enjoyed them knowing they almost certainly sounded terrible.

Now how do I explain to him, in a way he'd understand, that it was a good idea for me to spend $270 on an Ibasso D10 and $200 on a pair of Grado sr325i's? It's not possible! Even if you say "Yeah, but you spend your money on (insert useless wanted item here)" people will always think their wants make sense and yours don't. I don't understand why my wife has 40 pairs of shoes and I never will, and nothing she said would convince me otherwise. But she gives me room for my obsession and I give her room for hers. I think, unless you both share an interest, that it can't get better than that.

Nov 9, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #35 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The truth is, you don't need headphones. You want headphones.

I do agree.
Buy a headphone if you NEED it.
Never buy if you just WANT it.

Save more money Buddy.

Nov 10, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #37 of 154
Because human beings can never be in a state or nirvana, sadly.

Nov 10, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #39 of 154
Ah yes, my friends think I'm crazy
gs1000.gif

They don't understand why I bought a pair of Grados, a tube amp, and a few CDs from MoFi...

"But you can buy the same music for, like, $10 on iTunes!"

Now if I ever tried to explain vinyl to them...
deadhorse.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #40 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do agree.
Buy a headphone if you NEED it.
Never buy if you just WANT it.

Save more money Buddy.

Which is to say, never buy headphones. Almost never, anyway.

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #41 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are really only a few items that we absolutely need for survival. Headphone and this hobby is definitely not one.

I am going to disagree. Perhaps not immediate survival, but I am a type A person, and one of the few things that is stopping my lifespan from being 30 years due to stress is listening to music.
smily_headphones1.gif
So yes, I do need them.

-Nkk

P.S. The above was in a tongue-in-cheek-but-sadly-holding-a-grain-of-truth way. Not really serious.

EDIT: To the OP, my answer when my friends ask that is that having never heard good equipment, they are ignorant of what their music truly is supposed to sound like. This they are blissfully ignorant and could never understand. A bit insulting, but if said in a joking way, it stops them from asking any more. And if they are curious, it gets them into hifi.

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #43 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobmgross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@nycdoi: Yeah, I have a wife and two kids. I try to generally go for the "bang for your buck" headphones and IEMs. I just quote the MSRP and it always looks like I'm getting a deal.

"But, honey, they are usually $200. I'd be stupid not to buy them at $125!"

This tactic has never worked with my parents. They give me a glare and tell me I shouldn't "waste" all my money on headphones that you can buy for 10 bucks at best buy. BUT ITS NOT THE SAME! I say. Repeat this a couple times for each new headphone with each one more vicious that the last. They eventually give up. Its quite an annoying process.

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #44 of 154
It's always funny when you convert friend's and have them curse at you about their wallets.
tongue.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #45 of 154
I just tell my family that it's one pair for each personality and pop another lithium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back