It makes no sense, but I love the XB500!
Sep 11, 2011 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tdockweiler

Headphoneus Supremus
For about a year I was always curious about how these sound. I always assumed they were some cheap Kid's toy. For people who just want bass and only bass!

Out of the box, they're good for a laugh. The sound is severely muffled and not clear and detailed. AT ALL. When I bought these for $46 I had every intention of only using them with an EQ.

With my Cowon Iaudio 7 I drop the bass down a ton. We're talking like anywhere from 4-6DB!! I then boost the mids and upper mids by 1-2db and then the treble as well. These things respond extremely well with an EQ! With a massive EQ change you can actually make these sound quite neutral, but still fun!

You know that muffled and unclear sound? It's GONE! Completely. I'm really picky when it comes to the clearness of sound. For $46 and with an EQ the sound is really quite clear. One strange thing is that when I put these on the pads compress to almost nothing. Am I lucky? Maybe this is what makes the sound for me so much better? Hard to say. With a little EQ these drivers are quite capable! When I amped them it seemed like the soundstage got even larger!

I was listening to some Phillip Glass music and was surprised at how good the sound was. In "Of the Girl" from Pearl Jam it felt like I had hearing things from outside my head. Huh? On the XB500?! Violins sounded so lifelike and as if I was sitting right next to them. They sound considerably fuller than on my DJ100 and Grado SR-80. Almost similar as to how they sound on an HD-600!

Now with the EQ, there's actually quite a decent amount of detail! They pick up lots of tiny details including recording hiss.

For $46 they're just too dang comfortable. For those willing to EQ the heck out of them, they're certainly worth a try. With EQ they beat the heck out of many other headphones at this price. Without an EQ I find them un-listenable for my music preferences. Sorry, but it's true.

Sep 11, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 7
Good to hear.  I've been curious about the XB700.  My son is the classic bass head and I thought they would be enjoyed by both of us...

Sep 11, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 7
one of the most comfortable headphone, nice soft, ear pads

[size=10pt] I picked it up for my nephew. Now, I might have to get him something else :)[/size]

It [size=10pt]does sound better/ clearer connected to my GCHA amp.[/size]

Sep 11, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
AHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

You have a Cowon? Since when?

You REALLY need to hear how good an Ultrasone HFI 580 can sound through Cowon's EQ.

Had that thing for about forever. It's the ugly red one and only 8GB. 8GB and FLAC is not fun, but then I told myself that an entire library doesn't actually NEED to be put on a portable player
biggrin.gif

My mom bought me an Ipod Touch 2G 32gb as a gift awhile back for around $175 when the 3G came out. The Cowon sounds a tad better and the treble is less fatiguing out of it, or so it seems. I've never been a believer that the Ipod Touch sounds terrible. Sure, not as good as a regular DAC or a full sized CD player. I do prefer CDs though. BTW who the heck makes a $300 mp3 player that does everything, but yet doesn't even include a custom EQ?! Typical Apple dumbing down everything.

It sounds stupid, but I feel kind of tied down to Itunes because I like their selection of ambient music. Most of it I can't get for cheap. 95% of my stuff is from CD though.

What's annoying is that now my 3.55mm jack on my Ipod is all static and has a short. I need to open it up and see if I can fix it. Maybe my newly acquired soldering skills will come in handy!

I do want a Cowon player that's 32-64GB without paying a fortune.

Sep 11, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 7
Yea after EQing these sound very great, very "full" and detailed for the price despite being a basshead can and the muddiness is gone. I've never tried a headphone that comes close when it comes to EQ potential as XB500. Pair it with a good EQ and you have pretty good deal whatever you're a basshead or not. Vocals and acoustic instruments sound suprisingly great with the optimal EQ settings. It's one of those rare bassy headphones that can have very forward and good sounding midrange with help of a little EQing and that's really to my liking as I was searching for a bassy headphone with more forward midrange before I tried the XB series.

BTW Tyll from innerfidelity recently reviewed XB300, 500 and 700 and thought XB500 were better sounding than XB700 too and quite good for the price for some1 looking for a bass emphasized headphone http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sony-mdr-xb300-mdr-xb500-and-mdr-xb700-extra-bass-headphones

Sep 11, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Yea after EQing these sound very great, very "full" and detailed for the price despite being a basshead can and the muddiness is gone. I've never tried a headphone that comes close when it comes to EQ potential as XB500. Pair it with a good EQ and you have pretty good deal whatever you're a basshead or not. Vocals and acoustic instruments sound suprisingly great with the optimal EQ settings. It's one of those rare bassy headphones that can have very forward and good sounding midrange with help of a little EQing and that's really to my liking as I was searching for a bassy headphone with more forward midrange before I tried the XB series.

BTW Tyll from innerfidelity recently reviewed XB300, 500 and 700 and thought XB500 were better sounding than XB700 too and quite good for the price for some1 looking for a bass emphasized headphone http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sony-mdr-xb300-mdr-xb500-and-mdr-xb700-extra-bass-headphones

Saw that review. I love how he's not afraid of pointing out when a headphone sounds really bad to him. I'm tired of websites filled with nothing but positive reviews.
What's nice is that the XB500 is almost always listed by Amazon Warehouse Deals for under $40. Many stores like B&H often have open box deals on them for dirt cheap.
A $40 extremely comfortable headphone..about time. Could probably fall asleep with the XB500 on my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back