It kills me to say this ... but the iPod has the best sound quality
May 23, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #61 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by ceres /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5G, 5.5G, Touch and Nano 1,2,3 all roll of like this when loaded with 32 ohms or such.
Classic and Shuffle 1g are the only known exception. Classic vs. touch is like night and day. The mids on the Classic are as neutral as it gets whereas the Touch fields these ridiculously cheap entry level Marantz amp airy mids. BTW, the Classic has the best headphone out I have heard from any DAP ever. I haven´t owned any Zune or the DS and neither Sony´s latest but anyway the Classic ranks with the best.

i am not sure why i had an impression of lacking bass when i've listened to classic. however, as I said previously, classic sounded ok (ok=good, not mediocre).
touch is a different story.

sony is a bit heavier on lower freqs (not trully flat), but very nice sound as well.

May 23, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #62 of 127
There's a lot of discrepancies in the frequency response graphs, they vary differently from each sound card to another. Some see a 1db drop in bass while others see a 4db drop. Though all of the bass roll-off is negated when an amp is applied anyway, doesn't matter if it is through the LOD or headphone out.

Interesting to note that Marc Heijligers measurements show the same roll off for the 5G and Classic.

May 23, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #63 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, but you were talking about the classic, not the 3G and 4G ipods. the guy that wrote that blog post is a member here and has said that the 5G doesn't have the issue

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/wh...ml#post3117276

last i heard, hes in "lurk mode", and we haven't heard anything from him on the classic.

thanks, did not know he is inhabitant of head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

i'll give classic another try this weekend along with sony 829 and will report back if i was wrong )

May 24, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #64 of 127
Hi,

Bass is a problem on the 5.5g using low impedance 'phones. Even after Rockboxing and equalization it is still not completely satisfactory, particularly since this decreases battery life.

Zune on the other hand gives a superior sound, certainly through UE's, including the cheap ones.

My 5.5g is for sale on e-bay, then I'm getting a Zune.

I am talking about using the un-amped headphone output, since I want a fully portable solution. The Sony is tempting, but I have not had a chance to really listen to it.

Cheers

John

May 26, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #66 of 127
Measurements

One db at 30hz it seems, on a 5G, it should be the same for a 5.5G.

May 26, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #68 of 127
Not to mention the EQ of iPod is highly practical because it is Genre based and not Environment based.

iPod classic is Harddisk based...do u think Harddisk based players sound better than Flash based???

May 26, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #70 of 127
i don't see how people bring up the graphs against ipod when about 90% of all portables share the roll off: most worse than recent ipods. comparing an ipod from 2005 or 2004 to one from now is silly too. shall we test the competition from then as well?

if you really want to see bass roll off: check cowon portables.

May 26, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #71 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't see how people bring up the graphs against ipod when about 90% of all portables share the roll off: most worse than recent ipods. comparing an ipod from 2005 or 2004 to one from now is silly too. shall we test the competition from then as well?

if you really want to see bass roll off: check cowon portables.

Well, we know there are some players that don't share the bass roll off, so it might be worth bringing up in a thread discussing the relative sound quality of the iPod.

May 26, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #72 of 127
Don't really understand what the fuzz is about?

Everebody knows/should know by now the ipod (headphone) output is flawed, definately anemic. Anyone sayin' anything else is dellusioned. Try almost any player out there i.e: 1st gen Shuffle, Sony Walkman (800 series)/Walkman mobile with your favorite headphones & without EQ. Well? What do you hear? More punch/power/bass/whatever. & no, it's not that the iPod is hmmm "neutral" which is another expression for anemic.

(Oh, by the way I'm a huge Apple-fan but the sound of the players is somewhat of a joke & I haven't even mentioned the EQ).

Hence, the title is a little misleading...

May 26, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #73 of 127
i don't see what you mean by anemic. it is like back in the md days, everyone said that sony were the most limp sounding or the most weak. so, panasonic, victor, kenwood and sharp were the most preferred among those who 'understood' sound. sony were the biggest manufactuerer by far.

sound similar?

in real world tests, the sony happened to generally perform the same. it was the amount of nuetrality that was taken away or amount of fuzz that was introduced into the signal that people responded positively to

May 26, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #74 of 127
Well I guess its up to the individual's taste as to which player provides
the sound signature he or she is looking for guess I got lucky and the
5.5 I-POD did it for me and others out there.

May 26, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #75 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't see what you mean by anemic. it is like back in the md days, everyone said that sony were the most limp sounding or the most weak. so, panasonic, victor, kenwood and sharp were the most preferred among those who 'understood' sound. sony were the biggest manufactuerer by far.

sound similar?

Funny you mention this.

This was exactly how it was, & it was completely true! All other players had much mure powerful output & fuller sound than any Sony. The Sony didn't stand I chance. Yes, I had many of these players & The Sharp (all of them) with the AUVI-amp crushed the competition (Sony's) hands down! To be quite honest, the other brands sounded somewhat similar, except the Sony's which strangely had a totally anemic "sound signature" of their own.

What's strange about that? Sort of "reversed" situatuion now. I guess Sony learned from their mistakes....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back