It kills me to say this ... but the iPod has the best sound quality
May 23, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #46 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless you don't like your hearing, that's a test you should never do.

Oh sorry, I meant maxed in bass output (whatever Mach3Bass or Bass Boost function that comes with each player) not sound level ^_^

May 23, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #48 of 127
The whole idea of Head-Fi is to get the best sound you can get from the portable device for YOU, the individual end user with your sonic/acoustic preference.

For now, the iPod ecosystem makes it relatively easy to get a decent line-level output to an amplifier with a sound signature of your choice. Yes, LODs are available for Zen's, but your choice of available high-end LODs for Zens/Zunes/etc are limited compared to iPods.

I would argue that there is no absolute BEST portable player. It all depends on what you want to use it for (portable unamped vs amped via line out or optical out), and what sound signature you like (e.g. boomy vs clean, warm vs clinical).

If FM radio is important to you, iPods truly suck. If high-end aftermarket accessories and quality interconnects are important to you, the 160GB iPod Classic is great. So it is kind of pointless to claim one particular player is the bestest greatest ultimate player to rule them all, or to condemn someone else for their choice of an ideal player.

I'm glad there is no absolutely prefect best portable player or amplifier - this gives us an excuse to keep buying stuff...

May 23, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #49 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by trickywombat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would argue that there is no absolute BEST portable player.

Agreed,

Many people will say that the PSP sucks as a portable player. For people that need 160gigs to be happy I understand that, but people like me that only like a few bands at a time, the psp is great. I can only compare the sound quality of the psp to the ipod shuffle, and the psp blew it away.

May 23, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #50 of 127
the thread gets ridiculous.
once again, the author is talking about unamped solution, right? then why people started to refer to portable amps???

1. unamped touch sounds like "music" mobile phones - anyone disagrees?
2. classic is ok, but bass roll off spoils the fun.
3. i insist again, that comparison between sony 829 and vision:m is inaccurate. i do have both of them, love them both, but sony is way better.

i appreciate that some aspects of sound quality are quite subjective, but bass roll off and soundstage are quite objective criteria.

therefore, please, do not confuse people that all ipods will sound good unamped. state specifically, that you are talking only about classic.

May 23, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #51 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by vr5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the thread gets ridiculous.
once again, the author is talking about unamped solution, right? then why people started to refer to portable amps???

1. unamped touch sounds like "music" mobile phones - anyone disagrees?
3. i insist again, that comparison between sony 829 and vision:m is inaccurate. i do have both of them, love them both, but sony is way better.

i appreciate that some aspects of sound quality are quite subjective, but bass roll off and soundstage are quite objective criteria.

therefore, please, do not confuse people that all ipods will sound good unamped. state specifically, that you are talking only about classic.

You seemed to have misread the OP. Ross stated that he listened to them both amped and unamped.

BTW I do not agree with point #1. The iPod Touch sounds almost identical to the 5G iPod video even without LOD + amp, only that the 5G I have sounds slightly grainier. It might also be specific to the Classic, but I do not find any bass roll off with either my Touch or my 30gb 5G, just a good neutral sound.

May 23, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #52 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by triggerc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You seemed to have misread the OP. Ross stated that he listened to them both amped and unamped.

BTW I do not agree with point #1. The iPod Touch sounds almost identical to the 5G iPod video even without LOD + amp, only that the 5G I have sounds slightly grainier. It might also be specific to the Classic, but I do not find any bass roll off with either my Touch or my 30gb 5G, just a good neutral sound.

well, i am very-very surprised that you think Touch and Classic sound identical. i just hope that people take decent h-phones and listen to touch and classic, or possibly sony/cowon before buying it. to my ear the difference between unamped touch and classic was very obvious.

please-please do not take it personal. i was considering classic 160, but i am jogging with the DAP. i have ordered 32g touch but cancelled it once I had a chance to listen to touch vs vision:m.

ps. i also disagree with the whole proprietary concept of itunes/ipod. but that's another story

May 23, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #53 of 127
Quote:

well, i am very-very surprised that you think Touch and Classic sound identical. i just hope that people take decent h-phones and listen to touch and classic, or possibly sony/cowon before buying it. to my ear the difference between unamped touch and classic was very obvious.

please-please do not take it personal. i was considering classic 160, but i am jogging with the DAP. i have ordered 32g touch but cancelled it once I had a chance to listen to touch vs vision:m.

ps. i also disagree with the whole proprietary concept of itunes/ipod. but that's another story

No no no no no, the Touch and Classic do not sound alike, at least I wouldn't know because I don't own a Classic. You have misread my post. I said that the Touch and 5/5.5G sound very much identical. I'm not taking it personally at all, just saying that I don't agree with the Touch sounding like a music phone idea.

BTW there are numerous programs out there that you can use to sync iPods that doesn't involve iTunes, Winamp for one works very well.

May 23, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #54 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif

[size=small]
Say it ain't so
I will not go
Turn the lights off
Carry me home...
[size=x-small]- All The Small Things, Blink-182[/size]
[/size]

tongue.gif

hahahahaa
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #55 of 127
Quote:

Would you care to explain what this "bass roll off" means?

May 23, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #56 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by triggerc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No no no no no, the Touch and Classic do not sound alike, at least I wouldn't know because I don't own a Classic. You have misread my post. I said that the Touch and 5/5.5G sound very much identical. I'm not taking it personally at all, just saying that I don't agree with the Touch sounding like a music phone idea.

BTW there are numerous programs out there that you can use to sync iPods that doesn't involve iTunes, Winamp for one works very well.

well, then it must be something about UE 5Pros
smily_headphones1.gif

i simply compare n95 and old vision:m to the touch and canceled my 32GB order after the comparison.

i know about MM, rockbox and winamp options, but each of these solutions is not flawless

May 23, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #59 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, but you were talking about the classic, not the 3G and 4G ipods. the guy that wrote that blog post is a member here and has said that the 5G doesn't have the issue

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/wh...ml#post3117276

last i heard, hes in "lurk mode", and we haven't heard anything from him on the classic.

5G, 5.5G, Touch and Nano 1,2,3 all roll of like this when loaded with 32 ohms or such.
Classic and Shuffle 1g are the only known exception. Classic vs. touch is like night and day. The mids on the Classic are as neutral as it gets whereas the Touch fields these ridiculously cheap entry level Marantz amp airy mids. BTW, the Classic has the best headphone out I have heard from any DAP ever. I haven´t owned any Zune or the DS and neither Sony´s latest but anyway the Classic ranks with the best.

May 23, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #60 of 127
There's no "best" player actually, all boils down to personal preference.

The ipods sound more neutral, and depending on the iems/cans you use them with the sound varies too. I personally like my ipod video with my um1 and my cowon d2 with my ue superfi 5 pro.

Anyway, since we're touching on this how does the 5.5g imod fare against the classic? If it's not that worth imodding I might decide to get a classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back