It kills me to say this ... but the iPod has the best sound quality
May 26, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #77 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't see how people bring up the graphs against ipod when about 90% of all portables share the roll off: most worse than recent ipods. comparing an ipod from 2005 or 2004 to one from now is silly too. shall we test the competition from then as well?

if you really want to see bass roll off: check cowon portables.

BC Apple keeps on using the same output stage for yrs so the numbers are still valid except for the Classic and Shuffle 1g that don´t roll off when loaded with 32ohms. That´s lame for a company that has a) the cash b) the resources and c) has proven that it can deliver. Of course, the same applies to all other manufacturers that wrap (predictable) shells around the same deficient audio components year in - year out. How much more would it cost not to have roll off?. The cheap Shuffle 60 Euro 1G destroyed the 350 Euro HDD iPod from the same yrs lineup I had back then.
I don´t find excuses for such negligence. Neither with the market leader, nor with Samsung, Cowon etc.

May 26, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #78 of 127
Is this bass roll-off issue still present when using a LOD and amp? Listening to Tricky's "Bury the Evidence" massaging my eardrums through my Mini^3, I can't complain about bass roll-off too much.

May 26, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #79 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this bass roll-off issue still present when using a LOD and amp? Listening to Tricky's "Bury the Evidence" massaging my eardrums through my Mini^3, I can't complain about bass roll-off too much.

No, to my knowledge that should remedy the problem.

May 26, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #80 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, to my knowledge that should remedy the problem.

As does the Radio Remote ( at least to my knowledge)
wink.gif
Unfortunately it doesn´t work on the Touch but it surely cures all Nanos and HDD players.

May 27, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #81 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to clarify: it was the iPod what started this portable music revolution. There were others first, but none of them came close to change the music wolrd as the iPod. I have tried others including Rio, even the Palm based software (several), none of them as nice as iPod.
As far as your Kindergarden computer comments, (silly comment) I have used them all, from HP to Dell to Sony and Toshiba, the Mac is by far the best IMHO. They all are good, but not as good and stable as the OSX software. If you don't like them, buy something else.

yea theres no denying they popularized the devices and pushed the industry forward. i had diamond rios that came out before ipod...believe me, those were some cr@ppy music players in every way imaginable. apples made the market what it is now, popularized to a degree that shure headphones costing hundred bucks are sold at freakin target and walmart when before the ipod they probably wouldn't carry anything costing more than 40 dollars.
they've helped push expectations up and created such a large market place that tons of neat stuff is available now.

May 27, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #82 of 127
Got to say i think the ipod has the worst sound quality of all
Certainly no where near the best
I owned a 80gb 5th gen one and a mini and thought they were awful!
Nowhere near the quality of my sony rh1 nor my various sony dap's
In fact ive heard better sound on a £10 alba player which says it all really

May 30, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #83 of 127
Hey Ross

Please forgive my previous comments re: the Ipod Classic.
By a strange series of events I ended up with another Ipod Classic
and some free time
smily_headphones1.gif

My previous listening sessions did not go well and I much preferred
my H320. I'm beginning to think there was something wrong with the
previous Ipod I listened to because after leaving this 2nd unit on
charge for a few hours and then listening with Apple lossless tracks
from various genres, the SQ was actually really good. There were some
shortcomings but overall it was a completely different sound to my previous
session with the other classic. I've been going through the possibilities that
could have accounted for the differences between the two units and I
cannot figure it out...
frown.gif

Anyway......OMG....I'm beginning to like the total package - taking into
account the look and feel, the GUI and the all important sound.

Definitely have to look into this....

Giving a hesitant thumbs up right now but I still think the Imod would suit
me better - the EQ on the stock Ipod is pants.

Apologies once again for my previous rant
wink.gif

As long as I don;t get a yearning for white earbuds I can still hold my head up
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #84 of 127
Perhaps theres some variation in build quality between identical DAPs and I assume earphones. Perhaps sometimes this variation might not be a night and day difference. But enough to put a HeadFier off?

May 30, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #86 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The supposed sound quality shortcomings of iPods has been greatly exaggerated on Head-Fi, IMO.

Agreed, i think "quality" is a misleading term when discussing DAPs , Ipods sound good to me, just not my favourite sound signature.
Even the Hifi press are guilty of using vague language as well Hifi world totally dissed the Touch saying "they got it right with so much on this why does it sound WORSE than my 10 year old minidisc player" what the %uck does worse mean?

I prefer the X5s sound to any ipod i have heard , it is less neutral , probably adds more to the signal but i like it and thats all that counts.

May 30, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #87 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by doomlordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even the Hifi press are guilty of using vague language as well Hifi world totally dissed the Touch saying "they got it right with so much on this why does it sound WORSE than my 10 year old minidisc player" what the %uck does worse mean?

Low output? Anemic bass? Distorting EQ?

May 31, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #88 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The supposed sound quality shortcomings of iPods has been greatly exaggerated on Head-Fi, IMO.

That will probably continue and has more bearing on the fact its an Apple
product than its actual performance some people have a hatred for some
brands no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back