It kills me to say this ... but the iPod has the best sound quality
May 22, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #16 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by mule65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you being sarcastic or ironic?
confused.gif

Why does it have to be either? I've owned 3 myself: 4G iPhoto, 2G Shuffle for the gym and a 2G Nano for bedtime and on the go. I gave away my iPhoto and was going to purchase a 160GB classic but now that the news is that a new one is close to release I'll hold out a bit longer hoping for larger capacity. That would bring me to 4 that I have purchased not to mention the 5G my wife has.

May 22, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #18 of 127
I've been very pleased with the iPods I've had - why apologize for it being a good product? I'm using a 30GB video right now, but will grab a 250GB if (hopefully) they roll one out for Christmas.

May 22, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #19 of 127
Quote:

confused.gif

What? I am just being honest!

May 22, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #20 of 127
Quote:

confused.gif

Are you being close-minded or are you ignorant?

May 22, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #22 of 127
Quote:

You're on your 4th iPod Classic and ready for another?

I assumed he meant 4th iPod total. Just moving up through the line as new models hit or buying different flavours for different activities akin to why I have a bunch in my house.

May 22, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #23 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fortgammon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a Cowon iaudio 7, and it's said quite frequently that's it sounds better than the ipods

That is my finding. I love my 5.5 G iPod though.

May 22, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #24 of 127
Ross - thanks for the interesting and detailed post. I'm hardly an audiophile, but I agree that my old H340 seemed to provide more depth of soundstage than the iPod that replaced it. It seemed to have a bit more "life" overall.

Interested in hearing more about rumors about the new classic though. Any links or leads?

May 23, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #26 of 127
A few people have replied that one or more other players have better sound quality than the ipod, but without giving any further explanation. In my initial post, I tried to describe the differences between the SQ of various players, and their relative strengths and weaknesses, and why I thought that, on balance, the ipod had the best SQ. if someone thinks that another player has better sound quality, I would like to hear further explanation. How is it better? Does it have better bass, better mids, better highs, better detail, better resolution etc etc? is it better at everything or just some things. Just saying something is "better" or that one or other player "has the ipod beat" is a meaningless statement.

May 23, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #27 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Against all my intentions, my intense dislike of Apple and their dumbed-down kindergarten computers, and my absolute detestation of iTunes, the iPod Classic sounds better than all of the other players listed above.

Just to clarify: it was the iPod what started this portable music revolution. There were others first, but none of them came close to change the music wolrd as the iPod. I have tried others including Rio, even the Palm based software (several), none of them as nice as iPod.
As far as your Kindergarden computer comments, (silly comment) I have used them all, from HP to Dell to Sony and Toshiba, the Mac is by far the best IMHO. They all are good, but not as good and stable as the OSX software. If you don't like them, buy something else.

May 23, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #28 of 127
Quote:

Just to clarify: it was the iPod what started this portable music revolution.

Um, Sony Walkman? Ipod has been huge, but the Walkman was equally big two decades earlier. I don't recall the iPod having a number one song written about it (Cliff Richard's "Wired for Sound").

Quote:

As far as your Kindergarden computer comments, (silly comment) I have used them all, from HP to Dell to Sony and Toshiba, the Mac is by far the best IMHO. They all are good, but not as good and stable as the OSX software. If you don't like them, buy something else.

I did.

May 23, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #29 of 127
I've got two Ipod's now, a 5.5 G 30GB and a 80GB classic and the lineout is the only way I'll listen to them because the headphone out is, in my opinion, the ipod's failing. The Ipod does a lot of things well, but to my ears the sound is sterile, lacking character which is why I use the lineout connected to an amp to give it some life. Don't get me wrong, when done this way, I think it sounds great, but straight out of the head-out into a pair of UE5pro's, I'm not impressed. The Sansa clip, for even being so inexpensive, sounds fuller than the IPOD and has a workable Equalizer, where as the IPOD's EQ is a joke. Like I said in another post, I even dusted off an old Creative Zen Nx with its strong amp and although it looks dated, the sound is in another league. It almost makes me think we've gone backwards in sound quality.

As they say, it's all subjective and my opinion is what it is, but I've yet to be blown over by the Ipod sound. When I listen to older players like the Zen and the Karma, I think they have more to offer in sound, but the Ipod's genius is its simplicity in operation and I'm warming up to Itunes as a conduit, so enjoy whatever you are listening with because if your happy with the IPOD sound then who am I to argue.

May 23, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #30 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to clarify: it was the iPod what started this portable music revolution. There were others first, but none of them came close to change the music wolrd as the iPod. I have tried others including Rio, even the Palm based software (several), none of them as nice as iPod.

I did the same thing minus the Sony and came to the same conclusion got
rid of the rest and kept the mac and yes i prefer the i-pod with my collection
in lossless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back