It kills me to say this ... but the iPod has the best sound quality
May 23, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #31 of 127
Thanks Ross for the detailed comparison. Imo, other posters that just state one is better than the other without doing a proper comparison (that doesnt last for a mere one sitting) with proper gear like you did, better keep an open mind. We all know there are lots of iPod bashers in this forum (as well as fanboys) so your post is a courageous and honest one. Thanks again.

May 23, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #32 of 127
I wouldn't say iPod's the worst sounding players as there are plenty of cheap, unknown branded Daps out there which sound much cheaper and hallow. One thing I cannot stand is the distortion in bass. I just don't think this device can ever handle low frequencies like other regular Daps. I am not a mania for hip-hop but some of the hip-hop tunes on iPod are just unbearable.

May 23, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #33 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did the same thing minus the Sony and came to the same conclusion got
rid of the rest and kept the mac and yes i prefer the i-pod with my collection
in lossless.

X2. Thats what I am doing right now, redoing all my music to lossless. Had them on VBR MP3 before. The difference is not huge, but is there....

May 23, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #34 of 127
Ross, you are a good guy. I do appreciate your honest comments and your polite/nice reply's devoid of any nastiness. Thank you, man.

May 23, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #35 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by mule65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No Cowon? Sorry, you don't know what you're missing.

I've owned a bunch of DAPs over the years, including the U2, U3 and (still own) a 16gig iAudio7. And although I am not a big fan of Apple for a number of reasons (and still can't stand iTunes), I will say that I've come to conclude that my 160gig ipod classic sounds best to my ears.

Incidentally, I've also owned and loved the Creative ZVM, and agreed with the OP's assessment of it vs the ipod classic.

May 23, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #36 of 127
Finally someone comes out and says iPods sound good. It's almost as if iPods are too popular, so some head-fiers look at them like they are the devil, like they are the Bose of DAPs. I've been able to compare iPods to many different portable sources, and have never been able to relate to the iPod bashers. To my ears, iPods sound awesome. Nothin to complain about whatsoever, especially amped through the lineout.

May 23, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #37 of 127
I had a much more pleasing experience listening to music on the Zune than on the iPod (exact same library and quality of music). I found a big difference between the bass output from the Zune and iPod in that the iPod tended to sound less clear, and turning on the EQ would make it sound muddy. In the end, I sold my iPod to my friend and kept the Zune(which has amazing sound quality even without using the eq).

I'm not a hardcore audiophile, but I don't think you have to be to find out what sounds better in your ears =]

May 23, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #38 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by DNA Doc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned a U2, U3 and still own a 16gig iAudio7. And although I am not a big fan of Apple for a number of reasons (and still can't stand iTunes), I will say that I've come to conclude that my 160gig ipod classic sounds best to my ears.

That's a fair assessment. The OP didn't even mention Cowon so for me to take his assertion that iPod SQ is the best doesn't fly. This thread is totally subjective so there's no right answer. Cheers.

May 23, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #39 of 127
Quote:

This thread is totally subjective so there's no right answer. Cheers.

Well so is this headphone hobby of ours.
wink.gif
Duh.

May 23, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #40 of 127
Quote:

The OP didn't even mention Cowon so for me to take his assertion that iPod SQ is the best doesn't fly. This thread is totally subjective so there's no right answer.

I didn't mention Cowon, but I did say there were other players on which I could not comment. I also did not say the ipod was the "best", I said quite clearly it was the best only of those I compared it to.

Yes, there is a degree of subjectivity, undoubtedly. However, there are also objective criteria. Bass or treble extension, for example, can easily be measured. It is your preference for one type of sound over another that is subjective, not the character of the sound itself.

Even subjective impressions can provide a useful data point when enough information is given about the comparisons undertaken, the equipment used and the conclusions reached.

Therefore it is not "totally subjective". And the aim is to provide enough information that someone can find the "right answer" for them.

But thanks for your very helpful contribution.

May 23, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #42 of 127
Great writeup! I am really interested in the topic and I liked your approach. Too bad the Zune did not work, it would have been interesting to see how it faired against the others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion, the common wisdom that the ipod has poor sound quality is a myth which can now (reluctantly) be laid to rest.

I only wish this were true. But alas, tomorrow there will be another "ipod sq sux" thread and the party will roll on unfettered.

May 23, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #43 of 127
Just out of interest Ross, in comparison to your H340, how would you rank the bass output/impact on all the players you've tried in terms of what it sounds like with bass output maxed or pushed up until it begins to sound muddy/flabby/mid-bass-ish? Thanks.

May 23, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #44 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of interest Ross, in comparison to your H340, how would you rank the bass output/impact on all the players you've tried in terms of what it sounds like maxed or maxed until it begins to get muddy/flabby/mid-bass-ish? Thanks.

Unless you don't like your hearing, that's a test you should never do.

May 23, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #45 of 127
I own an Iriver H320 and IAudio X5L. Both are considered bricks these
days but share a similar (physical) footprint with the Ipod Classic.

My son bought an Ipod Classic 80Gb recently and today I got my first
chance to try it and compare with the Iriver and IAudio. After hearing
alot of good reports about the Ipod classic SQ I was considering
purchasing one.

I love the feel of the Ipod and the way it looks. It's a work of art.
The UI is well thought out and it's a joy to use although the wheel
wasn't as responsive as I'd hoped - I'm assuming this can be tweaked.

My main interest was not how cool it looked but the sound quality and I have
to say I was very, very disappointed. The overall sound is thin and tinny.

Compared to the Iriver the sound was severely lacking in punch.
I was shocked when turning up the volume to see that the Ipod
had already run out of steam.

There seemed to be an overall fuzziness to the sound and when switching
to my Iriver I could see there was an obvious lack of detail on the Ipod.

The width of the soundstage was reasonable but there was almost no depth
to it - both the Iriver and the X5 have superb soundtages.

Midrange and treble were OK but marred by the lack of detail.

Both the Iriver and the X5 reproduce bass superbly with both sounding punchy
and controlled. Again, the Ipod comes nowehere near in this regard,
sounding rather dull and lifeless in comparison.

SOooooo....my son loves his Ipod and laughs when I talk about SQ.
I'm happy he's happy
smily_headphones1.gif

I will definitely be hanging on to my existing players for a long time to come.

BTW: The comparisons were done using lossless files on all players using
stock Ipod buds and Ultrasone proline 750's (low impedance).
All three were compared unamped and amped through the Graham Slee
Voyager.

I mean no disrespect to the OP with this post. Just my opinion!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back