Isolation question (er4p vs custom tips)
Sep 8, 2010 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

aSunshine

New Head-Fier
Hi there, i heared so much about etymotics er4p isolation and now im in doubt — can they provide more isolation then custom-fit tips? Etymotics site says they block 35-42db, and i think its alot, because,for example, UE 18pro provides a maximum of 25db isolation, how can this be real?

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
Hi there, i heared so much about etymotics er4p isolation and now im in doubt — can they provide more isolation then custom-fit tips? Etymotics site says they block 35-42db, and i think its alot, because,for example, UE 18pro provides a maximum of 25db isolation, how can this be real?

Because the UE and most other customs are hollow acrylic and transmit external noise better than a deep inserting Ety or Klipsch w/ foam or silicone.  You need a solid acrylic or silicone custom for isolation.  Hollow acrylic is not the way to go there.

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #5 of 5
I fly alot and isolation is important to me.  The biggest let-down of my custom UE IERMs was the isolation.  It's not bad or anything. Better than my IE8s, about the same as my Coppers.  For some reason, I was expecting it to be better.

There is a new material that isolates better from UE available soon.  A week ago, my sales guy said that it would be about 45 days. 

I went with the hard material for 3 reason.
1.  I wanted it now. Impulse buy!
2.  I've read that other customs that use softer material aren't as durable.  For $1000 I want these to last.
3.  The audiologist, who didn't know specifics about the UE, said that in hearing aids they use soft material for the most extreme hearing loss.  It helps, but it absorbs the high frequencies so you lose treble.  

I don't know the impact, but I figured I'd go with the hard version to be safe.  I'm happy with the hard shell.  I couldn't imagine them being more comfortable.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back