ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Feb 19, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #4,891 of 5,075
Thanks dharmasteve and Echalon! I'm still very much torn... I quite like the idea of trying the deep insertion of the Fan 2 (used to use triple flange tips when I was a teenager, before I got properly into the hobby, and so have always been interested in a deep-insertion pair like Etymotics). The other thing that draws me towards the Fan 2 is the driver configuration, as I have quite a few sets (mostly <$50, but also the Quattros) that handle mids with DDs, whereas I don't have any that use Sonion BAs for the mids so am intrigued to hear what they're like. That said, reasons in favour of the NEO 3 are they sound like a safer and easier pair in terms of comfort, I'd like to try an ISN IEM, and all the recent positive buzz about them.

What do people think about the mids on each? Which has the lusher/fuller vocals of the two? I'll add that my current pair for wearing out the house is the AFUL Performer 5, which I find a bit bland for lots of music by default, but enjoy quite a bit more with some EQ to increase midbass and some frequencies in the mids. So not sure which of the two would make a better companion to them! (best thing about the P5 is the comfort which is truly excellent!)
I'm listening side by side A/Bing. Stock Cable and Azla Crystal 14mm tips on the Neo 3, XINHS copper/silver cable and Orange liqueur 14mm tips on the Fan 2. The Fan 2 is a more audiophile sound, less veiled and cleaner. The Neo 3 has less separation but a very seamless rhythmic, musical sound. The fan 2 is probably the better, more resolving, technical sound. There is more air and separation of notes on the Fan 2. Vocals and mids are, for me, a little better on the Fan 2...it's all a bit cleaner. The Neo 3 is definitely a little more veiled but so musical, good bass too.....but they are very different and both have the enjoyment factor. Fan 2 for clarity, and separation, Neo 3 for rhythmic musicality. I would say that I mildly find the sound of the FAN 2 a mini mite more enjoyable, the vocals have a little more space and air.....but then I'm an oldie and may hear differently to you. In bed the Neo 3's are easier to lie down with, with ears downwards. It's one of those 'different strokes, for different folks', IEMs...that would split 50/50.

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #4,892 of 5,075
I'm listening side by side A/Bing. Stock Cable and Azla Crystal 14mm tips on the Neo 3, XINHS copper/silver cable and Orange liqueur 14mm tips on the Fan 2. The Fan 2 is a more audiophile sound, less veiled and cleaner. The Neo 3 has less separation but a very seamless rhythmic, musical sound. The fan 2 is probably the better, more resolving, technical sound. There is more air and separation of notes on the Fan 2. Vocals and mids are, for me, a little better on the Fan 2...it's all a bit cleaner. The Neo 3 is definitely a little more veiled but so musical, good bass too.....but they are very different and both have the enjoyment factor. Fan 2 for clarity, and separation, Neo 3 for rhythmic musicality. I would say that I mildly find the sound of the FAN 2 a mini mite more enjoyable, the vocals have a little more space and air.....but then I'm an oldie and may hear differently to you. In bed the Neo 3's are easier to lie down with, with ears downwards. It's one of those 'different strokes, for different folks', IEMs...that would split 50/50.
Thanks Steve! Although I definitely tend to prefer musicality over an audiophile sound, given the parity between the sets and your slight preference for the Fan 2's mids, I think in this case I'll go for the Fan 2. It's a little bit cheaper with the discounts I have, and I think the discount for the Neo 3 might be ending soon, so rather than impulse buy on the basis of a discount (which I've definitely done enough recently - waiting for my TSMR-X to ship!), if I commit to the Fan 2 then the pressure is off a bit and I can explore and enjoy what I have a bit longer before purchasing. Also, I really like fabric cables, so the Fan 2's cable is another reason to go for that instead. Cheers for the help!

Feb 19, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #4,893 of 5,075
DSC01560.JPG

This combo for some reason I keep on coming back to with this cable. New Renata and NEO3 sounds crazy good together especially with the Rhodium plug. @Redcarmoose You need to try the Ranata with the Rhodium plug and the NEO3. Try it. It will be good for your soul.

Feb 20, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #4,895 of 5,075
Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #4,896 of 5,075
20240221_180032.jpg

20240221_181940.jpg

This just in.....
I had decided not to give in to the temptation of a straight out of the box listening but It was impossible for me not to do so....
It's good..really good ..
I like it ...maybe a lot?
Things are on the warmer side as usuall ..
There's a certain magic in the midrange
Definitely....really good mids ..lots of air and a unique organic sentimental timbre...
Bass ticks my boxes alright ..maybe a little loose and uncontrolled but it was expected at first audition that one..
i ll give it a couple of days using continuous burn in and things ll be definitely tighter there..
To me this one addresses bassheads as well as naturalists...it's natural,it's musical,it's a lot of fun , maybe not the latest word in separation imaging and resolution overall but first and foremost this one portrays emotions and brings out musicality more than anything else..
Soundstage is pretty descent, not the widest or the tallest one ,feels more intimate in one hand but realistic in the other ....
Spatiality and distribution of elements across the head stage is pretty good as well
In many cases Neo 3 reminded me H40 with a more sophisticated and refined midrange upon first listen ...
A good step up overall for ISN ,a big value for 199$ for sure..
Next audition for me will be in about 3 to 4 day having completed a minimal burn in period so that the drivers will find the time to blend nicely together in terms of coherency and stability, and the bass to find it's own form but first impressions were really overwhelming..
I found out that Tri Clarion tips work pretty good on this oneproviding an open feeling so I am using these as of now ....
i forgot to mention the most important part here....Neo 3 being so tiny helps for a deeper and more secure insertion..its custom like fit to my ears and the deeper the better in this case ....the vibration is there ..indeed.. it just has to get deed inside and then all the lower frequencies melt together giving you the famous ISN BASS ENJOYMENT !!!
I ll be coming back in a few days having more to say and for some quite interesting comparisons ...as well as music suggestions......😍

20240221_182402.jpg

20240221_175243.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #4,897 of 5,075
Lots of similarities between EST50 and NEO 3 in terms of soundstage, presentation, imaging and details. No comparison on bass - EST50 is a monster and NEO 3 is much more restrained. EST50 details are clearer and effortless. Neo 3 is very good, but sounds a bit more strained and it takes more focus on the music to pick out the same details and staging cues. But the NEO 3 has a bit more sparkle and dynamics in the upper registers, which adds to the fun factor.

Both are fantastic and seem to share the same approach to presenting a sonic landscape. Extremely highly recommended. Two of my favorites.

BTW, I'm using Clarion TRI tips for both. Excellent match for these IEMs.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #4,898 of 5,075
Lots of similarities between EST50 and NEO 3 in terms of soundstage, presentation, imaging and details. No comparison on bass - EST50 is a monster and NEO 3 is much more restrained. EST50 details are clearer and effortless. Neo 3 is very good, but sounds a bit more strained and it takes more focus on the music to pick out the same details and staging cues. But the NEO 3 has a bit more sparkle and dynamics in the upper registers, which adds to the fun factor.

Both are fantastic and seem to share the same approach to presenting a sonic landscape. Extremely highly recommended. Two of my favorites.
I found exactly the parallel ideas between the two.

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #4,900 of 5,075
Any comparison between Neo 3 and Neo 5 please?
Where vividness in vocals is no joke with the Neo 5, the Neo 3 takes a more somber and careful approach. Same as the bass, where bass was so stuffed-up with the Neo 5 that it could be looked at as outrageous and definitely an L shape. The beautiful quest with the Neo 5 is learning to sculpt the bass via cables or ear-tips, or DAP choice to find great clarity, because when that happens we are in the zone. Where none of those bass workouts need trimming with the Neo 3, as it is more polite and a more carefully balanced affair. So in the end the Neo 5 comes off a more vivid stage size holding those contrasts inside of its tone, the Neo 3 a slightly more congealed stance of audiophile playback, with amazing timbre to boot!

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #4,901 of 5,075
I found exactly the parallel ideas between the two.
Listening to the Neo 3 now and I have to say that it's the best overall IEM value I've heard in my experience. Extremely capable on all fronts and can play in the flagship league. Sure, it may never hoist the trophy, but it'll make it to the quarterfinals at least. Of course, my Neo 3 is supported by an excellent cable from EA and a strong desktop DAC/amp, which may change the game a bit. But the technology in the Neo 3 can take advantage of the upstream component quality. The Neo 3 has SO much more capability to offer compared to just driving it through a phone dongle or cheap DAP and stock cable. Whatever ISN is doing with these somewhat modest components (6mm drivers, really?) is sonic genius. I hope they find a way to put this technology to work into a higher-end model in the future.

Feb 21, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #4,902 of 5,075
Really enjoying them.

IMG_20240222_084303.jpg

Feb 22, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #4,903 of 5,075
Hello guys, my review of the ISN Neo3 is out here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/is...anar-universal-iem.27032/reviews#review-33073

I really love those, it's so well balanced, smooth and musical, ISN is a blessing in this IEM world fullfill with too bright or austere tonality, these aren't made for deaf people or treble head, nor for thin or shouty mids lover, nor for harman target fans....

Those are made for colorful music lover.

It's all about pleasant immersivity with weighty macro dynamic free of sharp attack agressivity.

Pros:
-lush dense timbre
-warm round and vibrant bass
-smooth full bodied mids
-good note weight
-open holographic layering
-wide and tall soundstage
-smooth but fast and controlled treble
-fatigue free (no sibilance, no shout, no splash, no spike)
-captivating piano, cello, saxo and violin
-not compressed instrument presence
-extremely cohesive tuning for such hybrid
-good accessories

Cons:
-not the most define bass impact and separation
-lack of treble sparkle and brilliance
-average imaging and clarity
-will be too dark or warm for some

1708607483790.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread