ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Nov 4, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #3,993 of 5,042
I have 4 iems with the FatFreq Maestro Mini being my daily. I'm a basshead (obviously to anyone familiar with the MM) and also enjoy my OH10's and even the $20 QKZ x HBB (surprisingly good). The first two mentioned are hybrids and both have a bit more treble than preferred but not by much. Comply foam tips solved this.

I'm wondering what a good tribrid sounds like with the EST's and have the Empire Ears Bravado mkII in my sight, but it's $800. The graph on it looks impressive and is really my kind of tuning. Close to the MM's but with a bit more mid bass and the treble would be more refined...

Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 11.50.28 PM.png

I'm new here and some of the first reviews I came across were for the ISN EST50 and the H series. They were written with such passion and detail. I haven't heard of ISN/Penon prior. My only wish were if they were compared to popular iems in their range, but they were mostly compared to other ISN iems, which doesn't help me imagine what they're like. I'm quite surprised that there is absolutely NOTHING on youtube about the EST50's. If they're so good, how can this be? And if they were compared to other tribrids, like the Variations (same exact driver make up), Xenns Up, ThieAudio Oracle and Excalibur etc, that would help a lot. And I wonder if any EST50 owners have heard the Maestro MIni or even the OH10's to compare.

The EST50's are on sale now and is one of the least expensive tribrids out there. But I fear that they may not surpass the Maestro Mini's and would be a wasted purchase. By the way that it's eloquently described on head-fi definitely intrigues me. I like that they're not forward in the treble, but there may be layers of intricacy that the EST's provide. I also don't like forward mids (prefer mega bass and mids/treble close but not over harmon). Will the EST50 bass be enough for me, being used to the MM's? In my searches, ISN/Penon are not regarded as highly as they are here by their fans which also gives me pause.

Any help/comments here would be great...

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #3,994 of 5,042
I have 4 iems with the FatFreq Maestro Mini being my daily. I'm a basshead (obviously to anyone familiar with the MM) and also enjoy my OH10's and even the $20 QKZ x HBB (surprisingly good). The first two mentioned are hybrids and both have a bit more treble than preferred but not by much. Comply foam tips solved this.

I'm wondering what a good tribrid sounds like with the EST's and have the Empire Ears Bravado mkII in my sight, but it's $800. The graph on it looks impressive and is really my kind of tuning. Close to the MM's but with a bit more mid bass and the treble would be more refined...

Screen Shot 2022-11-04 at 11.50.28 PM.png

I'm new here and some of the first reviews I came across were for the ISN EST50 and the H series. They were written with such passion and detail. I haven't heard of ISN/Penon prior. My only wish were if they were compared to popular iems in their range, but they were mostly compared to other ISN iems, which doesn't help me imagine what they're like. I'm quite surprised that there is absolutely NOTHING on youtube about the EST50's. If they're so good, how can this be? And if they were compared to other tribrids, like the Variations (same exact driver make up), Xenns Up, ThieAudio Oracle and Excalibur etc, that would help a lot. And I wonder if any EST50 owners have heard the Maestro MIni or even the OH10's to compare.

The EST50's are on sale now and is one of the least expensive tribrids out there. But I fear that they may not surpass the Maestro Mini's and would be a wasted purchase. By the way that it's eloquently described on head-fi definitely intrigues me. I like that they're not forward in the treble, but there may be layers of intricacy that the EST's provide. I also don't like forward mids (prefer mega bass and mids/treble close but not over harmon). Will the EST50 bass be enough for me, being used to the MM's? In my searches, ISN/Penon are not regarded as highly as they are here by their fans which also gives me pause.

Any help/comments here would be great...
You have probably the best basshead IEM already, I haven't heard the EST50 but it is going to be on my buying list next year.

I think why many on ISN and Penon thread talks so highly of the cables and IEMs is due them really being good value gear. From how well the quality is to the sound. Price is also higher than what many want to use for a non EU or USA made product.

If they were sold on places like linsoul or Shenzhen they would have sold much more and probably have been more mainstream.

Nov 5, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #3,995 of 5,042
Yeah ISN and Penon are a small boutique brand and don’t spend much on marketing.

I think one or 2 members may have had Empire Ears IEMs and EST50 for comparison.

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #3,996 of 5,042
Also it’s kinda like the chicken or egg type situation. Not many mainstream reviews or graphs available so not much interest. Since there’s not much interest reviewers less likely to review and would spend time on more popular/promoted brands.

This may slowly change as they gain traction though. Akros reviewed H30 and was really impressed with it. Apparently HBB reviewed the Serial and rated it highly.

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #3,997 of 5,042
Also it’s kinda like the chicken or egg type situation. Not many mainstream reviews or graphs available so not much interest. Since there’s not much interest reviewers less likely to review and would spend time on more popular/promoted brands.

This may slowly change as they gain traction though. Akros reviewed H30 and was really impressed with it. Apparently HBB reviewed the Serial and rated it highly.
There so many brands coming out lately, so its not weird its hard being noticed. But the good new brands get solid forum threads activity and followers who love them. TBH I first heard of ISN and Penon some months ago, and I am a big believer now.

If there's no graph, very few wants to check it out. Myself I prefer to listen myself, measurement can not say everything.

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #3,998 of 5,042
DSC00487.JPG
Sorry bout the bad pic folks. ISN S2 w Moonlight, ISN H2 with Serial, ISN C2 with the MEAOES EAGLE.

Ok so it is that time of the year when you will see newness. Newness in all things related to our hobby including shiny new IEM cables.

The sheer varieties of IEM cables are even greater than the actual IEMS they were meant to be used for and the sound guys at ISN has created their newest cables in the C2,H2, and S2 cables. One aspect I appreciate about ISN cables is that their cable name describes what the cables are.

C2 stands for Copper 2 core, H is hybrid 2 core and as you can guess Silver plated 2 core.

When I initially was sent the cables for evaluation I made a classic mistake I will own up to and that was quickly judging these after a quick listen using the C2 on the new MEAOES Eagles IEM.

Lets get real, you spend extra to get extra. You don't buy a turbo charger for an engine to get no gains in power right? The Eagles comes with a very nice, albeit basic copper cable that matches extremely well with the Eagles tuning. So I figured I would try out the C2 on them as it has been the IEM I have been listening to a lot lately. Initially I was thinking they aren’t much of an upgrade. They kinda gave the similar vibes as the stock copper cables actually. Both being copper cables and all.

But then I started to listen to more tracks which eventually turned into an hour long session.
Then I changed back to the stock cable. OK here we go. Now I can tell the difference.The stock cable make the Eagle sound not as good. Not as defined, aha I should have known. This is how you test out a cable by the way. Get used to hearing a sound with the new parameter, the new parameter being the new ISN C2 cable, then switching back to the original cable it came with. I wanted to put the C2 back onto the Eagles right away. But that is what made me realize. The new ISN C2 is not just your average aftermarket IEM cable.

I went back and forth using the same music tracks and now it was clearly evident the C2 is not just a clear upgrade but now I dont like the sound of the Eagles without it. Lol. Conclusion? Not all copper cables are the same. I know non cable guys want you to think a coat hanger copper is the same as a high end copper cable. But my ears are telling me the resolve of the ISN C2 is much greater than that of this copper cable that comes with a $149 IEM.

So I took another cable out to test it but this time I threw them on a much higher end IEM. Yanyin moonlights. The cable I was using it with was no push over in the Effect Audio Cadmus. You guys can youtube this cable and see what that is about. I connected the S2 to the moonlight and I was actually expecting a bit of a degradation of the sonics on the Moonlight. Not only did I not get that but I got the best sounding Moonlight I have ever heard. Ok so this pairing clearly was telling me the ISN S2 was playing on a much higher level than I initially thought.

So let me break down what the cables are thus far. All 3 of the cables here look like they are made in the exact same way. All 3 are 2 cores with the same gauge and thickness, all 3 are very soft and flexible , All 3 have the same blue clear finish, most importantly all 3 of the cables include their new modular plug ins which means you can pull out the bottom 2/3rds of the connector and plug into the male end in any termination you want. All 3 cables come with the 3 most commonly used plugs. 3.5mm single ended. 2.5mm balanced and 4.4mm balanced plugs.

The ISN C2 is two cores of pure copper. It is most definitely a higher end pure copper type cable. For folks that already have some of the Penon cables. These I was told are actually better than the Penon Fiery cables. The difference in your standard sub $50 pure copper cable vs a higher end copper cable is that the C2 resolves on a different level. If you carefully listen to your music you will get better note separation, a cleaner blacker background. A more detailed imaging to the host IEM. Every note will have better distinction vs the standard copper warmer smoothening musical properties. This is what the C2 does. I will test out the cables in full form for my write up but for now. Yes these are clearly a higher end copper cable.

What happens if you add half the cores with a silver coating? You get the H2. This hybrid version of these new cables introduces a slightly more transparent C2 cable. Half silver plating means at its foundation you get everything the C2 cable does but these add just a bit of extra treble enhancing silver shares. These are like the medium well done steak where everything sounds juicy from the copper cores but want a bit of that crispy edge to your sounds. The hybrid version of these new IEM cables is the one to get if your not sure which cables to go for. It has half of both the C2 and the S2.

In theory if you can just choose one cable out of the 3, it makes logical sense to get the H2 and be done with. BUT this is where a bit of cable synergy comes into play. If you don’t want the cables to change the sound character of your IEM but want an uptick in resolution, detail and imaging aspects. Yes you would do well with the H2.

Go for the C2 for hybrid or BA type IEMs that do well with pure copper cables. You like your music with the best bass and mids presentation and take a premium to natural tonal character and dynamism the C2 is good like that. The H2 will be excellent for dynamic and well-balanced IEMs. The S2 is for max transmission for any type of IEMs that need the best transparency, warm IEMs that would match well with clean clear cable properties that enhances technical aspects of an IEM the S2 is the best out of the 3 for that.

S2 is the silver coated higher purity copper cable in 2 cores. These are for folks that want the most transparency possible out of the 3 brothers. These have the most silver content. Silver plating on a higher end copper yields the cable to be just as transparent as pure silver but adds a hint of extra body, dynamism and musicality from the copper cores. These are what you get if you want absolute detail. A high end IEM deserves a high end transmitting cable and that is what the S2 does extremely well. Its highly resolving properties are similar to what pure silver does. You have to know what flavoring you want your food to be. Mild spicy and hot.

Lets say your IEMs have a smoother treble tonal character or feels it could use a bit more treble extension. The S2 will be what your looking for. While the H2 sound shaping character is similar it is not exactly like 100% silver plating. These are what you get for warmer, full bodied sounding IEMs as these will enhance their technical ability, stage and treble presence.
DSC00488.JPG
In the end.
These cables are a clear gateway to higher end IEM cables. They boast some excellent transparency and will be a clear upgrade on any stock cable that was included with your IEMS. Thus far from my testing. These are going to be worth every penny Penon will be asking for a set. Be on the look out for their release unto the masses. Yet another excellent offering from ISN and Penon.
Dsnuts,
so you like S2 synergy best with Moonlight? Am leaning toward H2 or S2.

Nov 5, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #3,999 of 5,042
Go for the S2. It sounds just as good with the S2 vs my EA Cadmus. Cadmus is a $200 SPC cable. A higher end IEM with the S2 and it sounds even more higher end. Believe me the S2 for the moonlight. It is my fave out of the 3 thus far. H2 is a good compromise between the C2 and the S2 as it is half of both cables but that synergy with the moonlight is for real. S2 throws out the widest stage and enhances technicalities for the moonlight.

To tell you the truth I haven't heard an IEM yet that I didn't like using the S2. The cable is worth every penny Penon is asking for a set.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #4,000 of 5,042
Hi guys.

I'm thinking about getting the H30 in this 11/11 promotion. How do you see this one compared to Audiosense's DT line (200 and 600)? In terms of tuning, timbre, resolution, etc.

I'm looking for something complementary to the OH10 and Hook-X I have and I'm in doubt about this ISN and Audiosense

Nov 6, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #4,001 of 5,042
Hi guys.

I'm thinking about getting the H30 in this 11/11 promotion. How do you see this one compared to Audiosense's DT line (200 and 600)? In terms of tuning, timbre, resolution, etc.

I'm looking for something complementary to the OH10 and Hook-X I have and I'm in doubt about this ISN and Audiosense
Haven't heard the Hook-X, but the OH10 I have used for a few days. The ISN H30 has better mids and less sub bass, but hits faster in the mid bass. Also more forward sounding due to the 6-8k presence. The OH10 had something weird for me in the low treble region that plagued my ears. From memory I would say the H30 is a good different IEM complimentary to OH10.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #4,002 of 5,042
Hi guys.

The all-BA DT600 is articulate and elegant, but lacks the visceral DD impact. The hybrid H30 is nearly as good on technicalities and, in my opinion, had a better timbre.

For me, the DT600 wins on details and looks, and you can make it brighter with impedance adaptors. The H30 wins on tuning and fun, so long as you are happy with the long nozzle.

If I could only keep 1, it would be the H30. I’ve not tried the DT200, and either should be nicely different to what you have.

(If you go for the DT600, get a better cable!)

Nov 7, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #4,003 of 5,042
You have probably the best basshead IEM already, I haven't heard the EST50 but it is going to be on my buying list next year.

I think why many on ISN and Penon thread talks so highly of the cables and IEMs is due them really being good value gear. From how well the quality is to the sound. Price is also higher than what many want to use for a non EU or USA made product.

If they were sold on places like linsoul or Shenzhen they would have sold much more and probably have been more mainstream.
I appreciate your reply. Though I think there are better basshead iems out there, the maestro mini is likely the best <$500.

I may have to go for the Bravado mkII as I want a tribrid basshead iem with more intricate layering of the both the lows and highs. A bit more midbass and the upper sheen that estat drivers deliver, while on the smooth side with good extension over 10K. I don't think I'll find similar quality below that $800 mark of the B mkII's. Graph wise (see my post above) it seems perfect on paper for me, and the tech that it boasts looks impressive...

4 Proprietary Drivers, Tribrid Design, 1 Next Generation W9+ Subwoofer - Sub-Bass/Bass, 1 Proprietary Balanced Armature Driver - Mid, 2 Premium Electrostatic Drivers - 1 High, 1 Super-High, 6-Way synX Crossover Network, EIVEC - Empire Intelligent Variable Electrostatic Control Technology, A.R.C. Resonance Mitigation Technology, Impedance: 4 Ohms @ 1kHz, Frequency Response: 5 Hz - 100kHz, Sensitivity: 99dB @ 1kHz, 1mW, Bespoke Alpha IV UPOCC Copper Litz Cable.
I wasn't aware that a range of 5 Hz-100 kHz was possible and 4 Ohms, suckers must be loud.

Variations is too close to the MM tuning being, while not mid bass light - are not mid bass strong. I don't want the lows bleeding into the mids but there's a bit of room there on both the MM's and the Variations for a subtle boost. Oracle/Excalibur aren't quite deep enough and both have just a bit more treble than I want. Xenns Up and Kinda Lava and almost all that I find as a possibility in the $400-$600 range, aren't deep enough as well.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #4,004 of 5,042
I appreciate your reply. Though I think there are better basshead iems out there, the maestro mini is likely the best <$500.

I may have to go for the Bravado mkII as I want a tribrid basshead iem with more intricate layering of the both the lows and highs. A bit more midbass and the upper sheen that estat drivers deliver, while on the smooth side with good extension over 10K. I don't think I'll find similar quality below that $800 mark of the B mkII's. Graph wise (see my post above) it seems perfect on paper for me, and the tech that it boasts looks impressive...

4 Proprietary Drivers, Tribrid Design, 1 Next Generation W9+ Subwoofer - Sub-Bass/Bass, 1 Proprietary Balanced Armature Driver - Mid, 2 Premium Electrostatic Drivers - 1 High, 1 Super-High, 6-Way synX Crossover Network, EIVEC - Empire Intelligent Variable Electrostatic Control Technology, A.R.C. Resonance Mitigation Technology, Impedance: 4 Ohms @ 1kHz, Frequency Response: 5 Hz - 100kHz, Sensitivity: 99dB @ 1kHz, 1mW, Bespoke Alpha IV UPOCC Copper Litz Cable.
I wasn't aware that a range of 5 Hz-100 kHz was possible and 4 Ohms, suckers must be loud.

Variations is too close to the MM tuning being, while not mid bass light - are not mid bass strong. I don't want the lows bleeding into the mids but there's a bit of room there on both the MM's and the Variations for a subtle boost. Oracle/Excalibur aren't quite deep enough and both have just a bit more treble than I want. Xenns Up and Kinda Lava and almost all that I find as a possibility in the $400-$600 range, aren't deep enough as well.
U good sir are a true basshead! (I'm just bass-leaning... 😄)

You have very solid footing in your sound preferences.

Saving yourself a ton of time & money in this interesting hobby...

Nov 12, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #4,005 of 5,042
During the sale now I noticed the EST50 gets almost down to 400euro, anyone who can maybe compare how the EST50 stacks up to Penon Serial? I am guessing more detailed all over and maybe more treble and bass presence?

Probably going to be a long while before its discounted this much again, while the H30 and Serial is very different. Both has impressed me with what they do, so I kinda want to try more from ISN and Penon. Tried a friends Penon Volt and liked it a lot, but can not justify the price for now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back