ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Apr 12, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #2,326 of 5,044
Switched to a different source. Listening to amazon hd now, I like their ultra hd and hd more than tidal hifi and mqa. I like the app more than uapp as well, it also lets me turn up the volume way more with my 9038s gen 2, which helps a lot with the believe. I still find the believe way too harsh and lacking bass. Idk anything about eqing but I put together the following by ear and this has helped a lot, makes these sound way better. The bass very clean and tight, and sounds great once you turn up the quantity. The treble is a lot less fatiguing once it's turned down a bit, and vocals sound a lot more full/natural to me. They had a very tinny sound to me before I turned the treble by eq.
Screenshot_2021-04-12-05-23-41-013_com.miui.misound.jpg

Apr 12, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #2,327 of 5,044
Switched to a different source. Listening to amazon hd now, I like their ultra hd and hd more than tidal hifi and mqa. I like the app more than uapp as well, it also lets me turn up the volume way more with my 9038s gen 2, which helps a lot with the believe. I still find the believe way too harsh and lacking bass. Idk anything about eqing but I put together the following by ear and this has helped a lot, makes these sound way better. The bass very clean and tight, and sounds great once you turn up the quantity. The treble is a lot less fatiguing once it's turned down a bit, and vocals sound a lot more full/natural to me. They had a very tinny sound to me before I turned the treble by eq.
I chose Amazon HD over Tidal too, although I did feel at the time Tidal MQA had a bit more 'presence' than Amazon, they are both very good. Tidal through UAPP, though, is a pain in the backside and although the Amazon app isn't great, it is way better than the Tidal app. Using the KBear Believe through my iFi hip-dac gives a big sound indeed. I think the KBear Believe cost me under a £100 at the time so it is hard to better for it's price. Mine was a very early one and it has a very 'fulfilling' noticeable and solid bass. In the UK it's impossible to get Tidal HiFi/MQA discounted so Amazon HD is way better value if we have Amazon Prime. In the end there is such little difference between Amazon Ultra and and Tidal that it makes sense to spend much less on Amazon.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #2,328 of 5,044
I chose Amazon HD over Tidal too, although I did feel at the time Tidal MQA had a bit more 'presence' than Amazon, they are both very good. Tidal through UAPP, though, is a pain in the backside and although the Amazon app isn't great, it is way better than the Tidal app. Using the KBear Believe through my iFi hip-dac gives a big sound indeed. I think the KBear Believe cost me under a £100 at the time so it is hard to better for it's price. Mine was a very early one and it has a very 'fulfilling' noticeable and solid bass. In the UK it's impossible to get Tidal HiFi/MQA discounted so Amazon HD is way better value if we have Amazon Prime. In the end there is such little difference between Amazon Ultra and and Tidal that it makes sense to spend much less on Amazon.
I've found that amazon hd has a bigger library too. My experience with tidal has sucked. A bug riddled mess and their support couldn't give a crap. I have so many support tickets with them where they said they were looking into it then never responded again.

I want to find something with similar tuning to my trueengine se. The sound quality on these aren't good but for some I prefer listening to these than my other iems. But the distortion/poor sound quality is very noticeable sadly.

Apr 12, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #2,329 of 5,044
So has anyone chosen to upgrade from the H40? I’m looking for something with a similar sound signature but with more sub bass.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #2,330 of 5,044
I've found that amazon hd has a bigger library too. My experience with tidal has sucked. A bug riddled mess and their support couldn't give a crap. I have so many support tickets with them where they said they were looking into it then never responded again.

I want to find something with similar tuning to my trueengine se. The sound quality on these aren't good but for some I prefer listening to these than my other iems. But the distortion/poor sound quality is very noticeable sadly.
I agree...Tidal support is the worst I ever dealt with.

Apr 13, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #2,332 of 5,044
Anyone had a chance to compare h40 to Fiio FD5?
FD5 is more V shaped signature vs the H40 relatively balanced and warmer signature. Stage has some similarities but FD5 is a bit more airy in sound due to being a semiopen design. Treble is a bit hit or miss on the FD5 due to some peaks so your own cables and tips helps a lot to get the sound where you want it with the FD5. Detail wise FD5 has excellent detail micro and macro level for a dynamic earphone but again it will come down to right source pairing. It is more finicky of sources vs the H40. There is some sound options on the FD5 due to 2 different nozzles but the narrow tube nozzle they provide is an aquired taste as it restricts a lot of that air and is more bass focusses tuning using that nozzle. It is a good dynamic for certain but imo,

For folks that want an upgrade on the H40 sound, I would actually look into the new Penon Globe. Which has some similar DNA in the tuning but made with more premium drivers. I would say it is a direct upgrade. Working on a review of the Globe and it is imo the next level H40.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #2,333 of 5,044
Amazon supports usb dac playback without uapp?

Guess I have to check that out if it is better than tidal by any means.

Edit: I don't think that would work since android resamples everything to 48khz and amazon music has no support in uapp.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #2,334 of 5,044
FD5 is more V shaped signature vs the H40 relatively balanced and warmer signature. Stage has some similarities but FD5 is a bit more airy in sound due to being a semiopen design. Treble is a bit hit or miss on the FD5 due to some peaks so your own cables and tips helps a lot to get the sound where you want it with the FD5. Detail wise FD5 has excellent detail micro and macro level for a dynamic earphone but again it will come down to right source pairing. It is more finicky of sources vs the H40. There is some sound options on the FD5 due to 2 different nozzles but the narrow tube nozzle they provide is an aquired taste as it restricts a lot of that air and is more bass focusses tuning using that nozzle. It is a good dynamic for certain but imo,

For folks that want an upgrade on the H40 sound, I would actually look into the new Penon Globe. Which has some similar DNA in the tuning but made with more premium drivers. I would say it is a direct upgrade. Working on a review of the Globe and it is imo the next level H40.
Is the Penon Globe worth the extra money over the Penon Orb? Also, does it have that huge high frequency roll off?

Apr 13, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #2,335 of 5,044
Apr 13, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #2,337 of 5,044
Is the Penon Globe worth the extra money over the Penon Orb? Also, does it have that huge high frequency roll off?
The highs are perfect. If anything they are just slightly bright. Never heard the Orb but I absolutely love the Globe.

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #2,339 of 5,044

Users who are viewing this thread

Back