ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Sep 22, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #2,011 of 5,044
Let us know how they turned out for you. I am certain you will be pleased with them.
I'm still in the honeymoon period with the H40, but from the first listen it was clear to me that these were special. Definite "it" factor for sure, and your review is spot on in its description of the H40 as a statement product. It's an easy default rec for anyone looking for an IEM in the $200 range, and especially so for those who like some bass.

Sep 22, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #2,012 of 5,044
I recently got my hands on the grill modded H40. Loved the sound, hated the fit. Even with the grill mod, the bass was quite full for me, so can't imagine how would it have been in stock form. I compared it with my BGVP Artmagic DH3.

Soundstage and Presentation
H40 - Soundstage is very well rounded. Extend quite well in depth, and more in depth than in width. It is a quite holographic experience.
DH3 - Soundstage is more wide than deep. Depth is less than H40. Sounds a bit flatter compared to H40. However, because of less presence of subbass rumble, the presentation sounds more clean.

Separation and Imaging
H40 - It has much more air between different sounds, contributing to the holographic soundstage. Outstanding separation. Similarly outstanding imaging - different sources of sounds are very distinctly projected.
DH3 - Less air between different sounds, but nothing overlaps others. Good enough separation and acceptable air. Less impressive imaging, different sources are not that distinctly projected.

Bass
H40 - Meaty, full bodied, punchy, and has that sweet juicy rumble to give you the guilty pleasure. Gives a very enveloping feeling.
DH3 - Good punch, faster decay that makes the notes a bit drier than H40. Subbass has less focus than midbass. Midbass has good attack. No lingering presence of subbass rumble helps the presentation to stay clean. It is almost exactly what I look for in iems.

Mid:
H40 - Has good body and transparency. Nothing sounds fuzzy. Can be termed as warm, but not overly thick.
DH3 - Has slightly less body but equally transparent. Sounds slightly drier than H40, but absolutely not thin or cold. Less warm than H40 but has more edge to it.

High:
H40 - Transparent highs with good amount of body. Pretty similar to the Mid. Details are very good. Good extension.
DH3 - Similar to the mid, transparent with slightly less body, has more edge. Not at all thin or cold. Similarly good extension.

Fit:
H40 - Needs large ears to fit properly, sadly, I have average sized ears. Nozzle length is a bit shallow compared to the size. had to use large bore dual flange tips or large bore L sized tips to get the perfect fit. Not very comfortable for me.
DH3 - Extremely comfortable and snug fit. Even though the nozzle length is shallow, because of the much smaller size fits pretty good, while paired with the sky blue Vocal M tips.

Conclusion:
Wearing IEM for long time requires it to have a good fit, hence I'd have to choose DH3 over H40. Even though H40 is clearly superior in the sound department, has that juicy WOW factor, the comfort broke the deal.

P.s: H40 had very noticeable driver flex. DH3 has that too, but much less noticeable.
What is the grill modded H40 ?

Sep 22, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #2,013 of 5,044
What is the grill modded H40 ?
If you open the nozzle grill, you'll see that there are cloth mesh attached to the inside part of the grill. Removing them is the grill mod.

Sep 23, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #2,015 of 5,044
How change the sound after this mod ? can you put back the grill without glue ?

you can, just use the leftover residue, they will stick them back on. But if you ditch the mesh nylon filter, they usually can't be putted back. So i suggest listen without any grill to test, if you are sure then you can buy replacement grill (recommended) so you can keep the original grill with filter in case you want to go back to default setting. Or if you feel you won't go back and like the filterless H40, you can ditch the filter and put the original grill on

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #2,016 of 5,044
I don't know why I didn't think to try removing the stock grill with the mesh cloth on my D10 when @DynamicEars started suggesting that mod on the H40, but I did just replace the stock grills with bare metal replacement grills after seeing @illumidata post about doing the mod on the D10. So far I'm not using any other sort of sponge/foam/dampening, and I do think there are subtle-but-noticeable improvements. Bit more clarity and resolution in the mids/treble, the bass is less boomy, and I *think maybe* the imaging is a little more accurate too.

I thought maybe the upper mids/lower treble would be too intense without some other replacement foam, but I've been testing on some tracks that really emphasize those ranges, and so far so good.

Sep 23, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #2,017 of 5,044
I don't know why I didn't think to try removing the stock grill with the mesh cloth on my D10 when @DynamicEars started suggesting that mod on the H40, but I did just replace the stock grills with bare metal replacement grills after seeing @illumidata post about doing the mod on the D10. So far I'm not using any other sort of sponge/foam/dampening, and I do think there are subtle-but-noticeable improvements. Bit more clarity and resolution in the mids/treble, the bass is less boomy, and I *think maybe* the imaging is a little more accurate too.

I thought maybe the upper mids/lower treble would be too intense without some other replacement foam, but I've been testing on some tracks that really emphasize those ranges, and so far so good.
Glad you posted this - there was always the chance I was just imagining improvements! Whatever the dampers were doing it wasn't that much, I went with the foam because I thought the midbass jumped out a bit more without anything...oddly. The mids and treble must have dropped a bit as well with the foam but in a very linear way - whatever happened it's got me back into them in a serious way!
Happy listening :relaxed:

Sep 23, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #2,019 of 5,044
They both have a different sound altogether. H40 is very popular for a reason. It has the type of sound that lets you enjoy what music is about. It has a full bodied musical tuning that a lot of earphones can't do right, not to mention throwing out a large wide stage to go along with it. Of course your limited on the sound tuning of the H40 and it is a good one but the A7 lets you tune the sound to your liking and the filters and tuning switches do make a difference in how that earphone sounds. I just got the A7 and have not really gotten into analyzing the sound quite yet.

I will say however the A7 is a more refined sound but the price would warrant that and the added tuning options help make it be very versatile. It does not have that full immersive tuning of the H40 but the base tuning has an excellent high level of refinement across the board. If your curious about the A7 there will be a flood of reviews and impressions coming soon I would wait and read the sound descriptions to see if it will be worth it for you to get into a set.

I think either way will be money well spent it will depend on what your looking for and how much your willing to spend really. The A7 is a compelling new product and I feel has to be the best LZ tuned earphone to date. All in due time.

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #2,020 of 5,044

Glad you posted this - there was always the chance I was just imagining improvements! Whatever the dampers were doing it wasn't that much, I went with the foam because I thought the midbass jumped out a bit more without anything...oddly. The mids and treble must have dropped a bit as well with the foam but in a very linear way - whatever happened it's got me back into them in a serious way!
Happy listening :relaxed:

improvement in clarity, imaging and cleaner bass is real, even measurement rig says so. Differences are more noticeable than changing cable or even eartips.
If you saw my post on BLON thread with many different material for damping, foam is good, but use the not so dense foam, with lots of cavities. And remember just a little bit to polish edge of peaks, dont stuff too much until blocked the sound and air. Good air flow is key for bass not to be bloated. even with same amount of damping per db, soft density foam make better result than that nylon mesh damper, air flow is very bad with that nylon mesh under the metal grill, another prove is the combination like this tend to make moisture or clogged.

Sep 23, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #2,021 of 5,044
you can, just use the leftover residue, they will stick them back on. But if you ditch the mesh nylon filter, they usually can't be putted back. So i suggest listen without any grill to test, if you are sure then you can buy replacement grill (recommended) so you can keep the original grill with filter in case you want to go back to default setting. Or if you feel you won't go back and like the filterless H40, you can ditch the filter and put the original grill on
Thanx, Where can i buy the replacement grill ?

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #2,022 of 5,044
Search for "dust network" on aliexpress and you'll see a lot of listings. I bought packs of various sizes (4.0mm, 4.2mm, 4.5mm, 4.7mm, 5.0mm) to give options for various sizes of nozzles, they're usually less than $1 USD per package.

Sep 23, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #2,023 of 5,044

like @jibberish suggested, search by keyword "dust network" on aliexpress, dirt cheap, just buy lot of them with different sizes for back up in the future

Sep 24, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #2,025 of 5,044

Users who are viewing this thread

Back