ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Sep 24, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #2,026 of 5,047
Sep 28, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #2,027 of 5,047
Sep 29, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #2,028 of 5,047
So today I received the ISN D02. Following are the impression OOTB:

The first thing that struck me is the brightness at Switch 1! Wasn't Expecting That ! Turned it down to On, and the treble got tamed, but the sound went Can't breathe without you :sweat:!

Ok jokes apart, I'll try to put down what I felt. So the overall sound signature at Switch 1 is bright. The bass in this position depends on which tips you are using. I got an additional set of bright pink narrow bore tips, but they were just too narrow for my liking, somewhat restricted the soundstage. I am using the Green bore eartips after much experimentation, the brightness got under control and bass got good punch. Soundstage is quite wide, depth is a bit less compared to width (but here I compared it with BGVP DH3 and Penon Orb, both hybrid and considerably pricier. Hence got better depth in soundstage and better separation and imaging. I do not have another single DD iem in the same range hence can't really compare.) Vocals have good forward presence, definitely not at the bottom of a V, but have sharpness, male vocals may sound very slightly on thinner side, female vocals sound perfect! Also, vocals have a very slight edge to their sound, but never gets sibilant. Overall the vocals are not unnatural. Upper mids and highs are where the focus is. Bright as a blue lightsaber (not sunlight, because sunlight is warm), very well extended, crispy clean. I could not feel any weird peaks, just the general energy in those region is quite high, a bit too much for my tolerance. But honestly, this only becomes a problem when you're listening to some busy and energetic tracks, like these:

Silversun Pickups - The Royal We (Official Music Video)

Muse - Showbiz [HD] - YouTube

Punchy midbass. Subbass goes deep and has good body. Decay is fast so does not make the rest of the spectrum muddy. Bass slam is very good.
I believe D02 is best suited for listening to songs which are a bit laid back. It adds extra life to those tracks. Listening to Lonely Is The Word - Black Sabbath - YouTube was a blissful experience. On the other hand, tracks which already have a lot of energy turns very much fatiguing.

When I turn switch to 'On' setting, the sound changes radically. Bass now has more focus with slower decay, so becomes slightly muddy. The extra energy from mids and highs disappears, turning them smooth. The depth of the soundstage increases a bit, but the width decreases substantially, making the whole sound signature a bit suffocated. Using wide bore tips did not help much. I'd rather avoid this setting.

I don't think I need to mod the filters, if anything, I think I need to try micropore tape mod :sweat_smile:; but I did not have good experience with it earlier, tried it on Custom Art FIBAE 3 and the sound turned boomy and muddy and veiled. Kindly help me in how to do that :smile:.

Sep 30, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #2,030 of 5,047
3AA05E32-9D54-41B6-94EC-A655A26D3652.jpeg

Ouch I was doing it all wrong.
I was just going by the visual orientation and was playing one side at ‘on’ position and the other in ‘1’ position. No wonder it sounded weird and felt something was off lol.
Fixed it and prefer the both at ‘1’ position.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #2,031 of 5,047
3AA05E32-9D54-41B6-94EC-A655A26D3652.jpeg
Ouch I was doing it all wrong.
I was just going by the visual orientation and was playing one side at ‘on’ position and the other in ‘1’ position. No wonder it sounded weird and felt something was off lol.
Fixed it and prefer the both at ‘1’ position.
Yikes, they screwed up the orientation of your switches.

Sep 30, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #2,032 of 5,047
Has anyone made a comparative study between the D02 and other iems in the same price category? Namely iBasso it-00, Moondrop Starfield, Fiio FD-1, FH-1s, KBEar Diamond,Tin Audio T2 Plus.

Sep 30, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #2,033 of 5,047
Has anyone made a comparative study between the D02 and other iems in the same price category? Namely iBasso it-00, Moondrop Starfield, Fiio FD-1, FH-1s, KBEar Diamond,Tin Audio T2 Plus.

You'll find some comparisons if you read back a few pages. There were some also from discovery and chifi threads.

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #2,034 of 5,047
Orb synergizes better with the ZX300 (MrWalkman ZX300++ firmware) having a well-rounded bass. The AK70ii has warmer tonality, with the bass being a bit scattered and slightly boomy with the Orb. The ISN D02, however, pairs well with the AK70ii adding a nice rumble while the switch is turned to ON.

I also find the vocals to be slightly more upfront on the D02 having the switch to ON, compared with having it toggled to 1. Still, the Orb wins on vocals with richness and body.

IMG_20200915_092627-01.jpeg
With the switch On, isn't the sound slightly veiled?

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #2,035 of 5,047
The T2+ doesn’t have good isolation, o/w I would totally rec it for your needs. The EA1/FD1 also doesn’t have great isolation, and the treble isn’t really extended past 10KHz. The IT00 has quite a bit more treble presence IMO. For you, I recommend considering the FiiO FH3. It has excellent bass, and clear, forward mids. While the treble isn’t necessarily higher in quantity, it is different, being produced by BAs, and may respond better to EQ. The isolation is actually surprisingly good, especially with foam ear tips and a deeper insertion.
Hi, between the it-00 and D02, which one has more treble, more soundstage depth and width, cleaner/more transparent sound, mids with more body and meatier bass?

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #2,036 of 5,047
Hi, between the it-00 and D02, which one has more treble, more soundstage depth and width, cleaner/more transparent sound, mids with more body and meatier bass?
The D02 has a tiny bit more articulate treble, more soundstage depth, and has a cleaner more transparent sound. The it00 has more body and definitely a meatier bass. Both have really good clarity for the price level. They are both very different but do what they do well. If you want soundstage and transparency the D02, if you want bass and body...the it00.

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #2,037 of 5,047
The D02 has a tiny bit more articulate treble, more soundstage depth, and has a cleaner more transparent sound. The it00 has more body and definitely a meatier bass. Both have really good clarity for the price level. They are both very different but do what they do well. If you want soundstage and transparency the D02, if you want bass and body...the it00.
I second everything said.

Saved me a lot of typing! :ksc75smile:

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #2,038 of 5,047
Guess I'm fine with D02. I hope my ears will get adjusted to the brightness soon.

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #2,039 of 5,047
Guess I'm fine with D02. I hope my ears will get adjusted to the brightness soon.
They’re not really “bright” IMHO, but the upper midrange is prominent, and can be intense and “shouty” with some songs. I happen to be sensitive to those frequencies. 2 small pieces of micropore tape, and problem solved for me. I posted pics sometime ago on this thread.

Sep 30, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #2,040 of 5,047
They’re not really “bright” IMHO, but the upper midrange is prominent, and can be intense and “shouty” with some songs. I happen to be sensitive to those frequencies. 2 small pieces of micropore tape, and problem solved for me. I posted pics sometime ago on this thread.
Ya saw that. Slightly apprehensive... let's see, will try them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back