ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jun 4, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #1,306 of 5,044
No, the D10 just has a V-shaped sound. What I did was switch tips until I found a pair that deemphasized the sub/mid-bass just enough. I'm not sure which tips would work best for you, but the slimmer ones worked best for me (not so slim that the seal breaks though).
Whirlwinds tame bass. But they smooth treble out too.
My favorites by far are E-Pro Horn Shape graphene tips. They tame bass slightly but what i like best about them is that they add sparkle and air h40 needs without shoving treble in agressively in your face like say Sednas do.
Problem with them is they might not fit everyones ears. As they are quite deep fit and extremely thin membrane making them flimsy for some. Though with h40 near ciem level fit its a perfect match. And a good seal

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #1,307 of 5,044
Hi, I swapped to Audiosense cable because of S4 problem. I feel I lose the subwoofer effect on D10 and the bass is not as much as using the S4 (stock cable).
I hope my replacement cable will reach me soon.
The stock cable from my Toneking T4 was sitting on my desk, swapped that onto the D10 and the flabby thudding is gone. Still very v-shaped with a lot of bass energy, but these were borderline unlistenable with any music that had prominent bass with the stock cable. The bass might still be a bit too loose for my liking, but I'll keep burning in and tip rolling and see how things end up. Thanks for the suggestion @sutosuto.

That's still unfortunate though, because one of the reasons I bought an ISN IEM was to get one of their lauded cables. And the cable is incredibly nice in terms of looks and feel. Maybe it will pair well with something else I own 🤷‍♂️

Jun 5, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #1,308 of 5,044
The stock cable from my Toneking T4 was sitting on my desk, swapped that onto the D10 and the flabby thudding is gone. Still very v-shaped with a lot of bass energy, but these were borderline unlistenable with any music that had prominent bass with the stock cable. The bass might still be a bit too loose for my liking, but I'll keep burning in and tip rolling and see how things end up. Thanks for the suggestion @sutosuto.

That's still unfortunate though, because one of the reasons I bought an ISN IEM was to get one of their lauded cables. And the cable is incredibly nice in terms of looks and feel. Maybe it will pair well with something else I own 🤷‍♂️
This has also been my experience with the D10, although I do like the subwoofer effect in general, and the lack of midbass hump. So following @Dsnuts' suggestion, I tried the ISN S8 cable and replaced spiral dots with Final E tips. The bass tightened up and there's added weight across the freq range, perhaps at the expense of some clarity and air. Also tried it with the Penon 8-core OCC cable with similar results. Still hoping these will break in a bit more (~30hrs now), otherwise no complaints whatsoever.

Jun 5, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #1,309 of 5,044
Optimizing earphone sonics will be different with each person. I know I suggest this and that cable but to be honest what works for me might not be the same for you. But the one advice I can give to guys that get a new earphones. Burn in the earphone. Even if sonically the sound does not change a whole lot. Why wouldn't you want whatever earphones you get to be at 100% of what it can do sound wise vs lets say 99%. Burn in doesn't cost nothing either. Before there is any type of debate on the subject. Not all earphones need burn in and some dont change sonically at all with burn in. But as a general rule. Do it anyways. If you dont believe in burn in. Not gonna judge you for it. So I hope you don't judge others that do. I am a firm believer of burn in on everything I get. That is just me however.

While most will grab for tips right away. It is a good idea to try different tips later on in the process of things. Reason I say this is. After cable changes and initial burn in. Sound profile you heard could change where them optimized tips you initially put on the earphones might not be so optimized later on. Basically if you change a parameter on the D10 for example like a different cable you threw on there or even lets say you got a new source. Ya try an older tip you once tried. It might sound different now. It might actually work better now. You never know. Again it doesn't cost you nothing to try.

One saying I always like to say for new earphones. Try this try that. Source matching matters more than you think. I have seen plenty of reviews from folks, and I realize not everyone can afford multiple nice DAPs or a higher end sources to listen to your new earphone with but guys that judge a phone from using a single source in my opinion is not really hearing the best out of that particular phone. In general I notice a highly resolving earphone with a highly resolving source. Is actually not a good match for example. You want to get ear fatigue. This will happen with this type of combination. How about a highly resolving earphone with a warm full bodied source. Now we are talking. Or a warm full bodied earphone matching up with a highly resolving source. What I am saying here. If you feel your getting too much in the way an earphone sounds. Try it on another source. Might surprise you.

As a personal note. Only way I give up on an earphone is if I tried all my cables and sources and they still sound off. Then they will go up for sale. Lol. But usually I find a combination that will work with a particular phone. Try this try that.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #1,310 of 5,044
Optimizing earphone sonics will be different with each person. I know I suggest this and that cable but to be honest what works for me might not be the same for you. But the one advice I can give to guys that get a new earphones. Burn in the earphone. Even if sonically the sound does not change a whole lot. Why wouldn't you want whatever earphones you get to be at 100% of what it can do sound wise vs lets say 99%. Burn in doesn't cost nothing either. Before there is any type of debate on the subject. Not all earphones need burn in and some dont change sonically at all with burn in. But as a general rule. Do it anyways. If you dont believe in burn in. Not gonna judge you for it. So I hope you don't judge others that do. I am a firm believer of burn in on everything I get. That is just me however.

While most will grab for tips right away. It is a good idea to try different tips later on in the process of things. Reason I say this is. After cable changes and initial burn in. Sound profile you heard could change where them optimized tips you initially put on the earphones might not be so optimized later on. Basically if you change a parameter on the D10 for example like a different cable you threw on there or even lets say you got a new source. Ya try an older tip you once tried. It might sound different now. It might actually work better now. You never know. Again it doesn't cost you nothing to try.

One saying I always like to say for new earphones. Try this try that. Source matching matters more than you think. I have seen plenty of reviews from folks, and I realize not everyone can afford multiple nice DAPs or a higher end sources to listen to your new earphone with but guys that judge a phone from using a single source in my opinion is not really hearing the best out of that particular phone. In general I notice a highly resolving earphone with a highly resolving source. Is actually not a good match for example. You want to get ear fatigue. This will happen with this type of combination. How about a highly resolving earphone with a warm full bodied source. Now we are talking. Or a warm full bodied earphone matching up with a highly resolving source. What I am saying here. If you feel your getting too much in the way an earphone sounds. Try it on another source. Might surprise you.

As a personal note. Only way I give up on an earphone is if I tried all my cables and sources and they still sound off. Then they will go up for sale. Lol. But usually I find a combination that will work with a particular phone. Try this try that.
I would agree with most you say. But that can lead you to a sort of placebo effect if you try too hard. But i suppose its not necesserally bad thing. But sometimes letting go off iems you try hard to like gives way to find some new stuff that might be way better.

I remember moving from v30 to wm1a which should have been decent step up.
When i fired it up i suddenly felt like something was missing. Even though technically they were superior. So i thought i just need a brain burn in. Few weeks FFW. I tried all possible firmware all my iems and what not. And i got to the point where i started to enjoy it. But deep inside i was still thinking to myself why i struggled so much and then i came across dx220 review and its modular amps. So i thought that might give me some tuning options. But now i like wm1a too. So after buzzing my brain for few weeks i decided to pull the trigger...
And damn was i gob smacked. It hit my sweet spot so well i was surprised someone even considered comparing these 2 daps. It was so much better it was like another league. Sound was spacious, massive with incredible detail and seperation.
I went as far as modding my amp8 got custom ROM. And now i dont even have a thought of changing it.

What i was trying to say with this wall of bovine feces. Is that sometimes its just better to move on and try something new.

Sorry for derailing thread a bit.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #1,311 of 5,044
Dont mean to spam, but i am curious. Did anyone had issues with h40 fit?

I had 4 of friends to try them on and they all said they fit perfect. Seems like they nailed it with fit. But it also looks like it might not fit certain ear shapes.

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #1,313 of 5,044

I had 4 of friends to try them on and they all said they fit perfect. Seems like they nailed it with fit. But it also looks like it might not fit certain ear shapes.

I had problem with h40 fit, until i tried to use smaller eartips than my usual and go with deep insertion a little bit twist the IEM when inserting

Jun 7, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #1,314 of 5,044
I have some issues with fit as well. Even with different tips it takes me time to get a decent seal with these.

Jun 8, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #1,317 of 5,044

I've had issues for a while up until recently. I had some JVC Spiral Dots in medium-large size come in yesterday and I've had a consistently good fit so far. What's worked for me was having it rest a bit more in the concha instead of just pushing it as far as you can. Still get good isolation.

I have been able to get Comply foam tips to work too but I hate having to pull them out and fit them again. If you don't mind foam tips those are also definitely worth a shot.

Jun 8, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #1,318 of 5,044
Seems
I've had issues for a while up until recently. I had some JVC Spiral Dots in medium-large size come in yesterday and I've had a consistently good fit so far. What's worked for me was having it rest a bit more in the concha instead of just pushing it as far as you can. Still get good isolation.

I have been able to get Comply foam tips to work too but I hate having to pull them out and fit them again. If you don't mind foam tips those are also definitely worth a shot.
Sorry but i will then one to moan out on comply topic:ksc75smile:I went through many types of comlys. And they were the reason why id did not dare to try foam tips for another 18 months.
One reason was it destroys the sound. But i get it its very subjective so i will leave it there.
But main thing was it is extremely overpriced and poorest longetivity i have tried among foams.
I basically had to change it every month because it started losing seal.

I mean it still probaby worth trying if youre into tip rolling as you might have better experience than i did but if you havent tried any other tips id highly recommend to try someting else.

Jun 9, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #1,319 of 5,044

Not really, but interestingly I found the best fit was with different size tips on each side, normally that isn't the case for me. I use medium Final E on the left and small Final E on the right, works really well.

Jun 11, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #1,320 of 5,044
Decided to pair ISN's latest cable GC4 with the H40 and this is an excellent pairing. There is tighter bass, vocals are more bodied, treble is smoother with controlled sparkle. There is improvement in both width and depth. Having owned many high end cables myself and given how gold plated copper is quite rare at this price point, the GC4 presents terrific value. It helps to fine tune the overall sound and really makes the H40 more complete sounding.

photo_2020-06-11_15-32-06.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back