ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Mar 24, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #916 of 5,044
Does the D10 have thick note weight like CA Vega and Atlas?

If I remember correctly the Atlas when I heard them had some brawny bass. I wouldn't call the D10 basshead levels in bass but sub bass is surprisingly strong on them. It has some great imagery, stage and detail to go along with that strong sub bass. If your looking for something that has more fullness with a fuller note. The H40 is like that more so than the D10.

I'm usually one for details and the treble, but the blon 03s have got me quite into bass lately. the ISN models definitely have the hype behind them, and look to be much more well regarded then something like the DM6.

so I'm thinking about picking one of them up, the D10 for 110£ is very tempting I must say. so I ask, should I do this? am I right to believe the D10 is the more detailed and sharp of the two?

or perhaps should I go for a TSMR model, I ask because I'm not a basshead- but I do want an IEM with strong bass, just not one dominated by it.

I've been listening to a lot of stuff like this lately. I'm really trying to find a set to make tracks like these shine. sorry if I ask too many questions :sweat_smile:

Your tracks should do fine with the D10. TSMR-3pro is the one I would go for if your wanting an all BA set. Those have plenty of bass end too for being a BA set. That being said the D10 for the price is at a great value right now. I have no doubts your gonna enjoy the D10 for your music.

Mar 25, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #917 of 5,044
So I got word that they are almost sold out of the inital batch of the ISN D10. If your planning on getting one I would snap it up before they sell out. From what I was told the newer dark blue shell model will probably go back to standard price.

Mar 25, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #918 of 5,044
I cancelled my order due to the lack of service & communication as well as lies from Penon so that allows another pair to be available!

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #919 of 5,044
Not trying to be contrary here, but I'm hearing something very different from what most are from the H40. They still aren't fully burned in. Maybe about 10 hours on them. Is it possible I got the older version? Housings are slightly purple when in the sunlight...

The signature to my ears is a highly accentuated L shape with a slightly warm and very smooth tone.

Bass is huge. It is borderline basshead, but might be full on certifiable bass cannons with eq/right source. The texture is decent but not anything to write home about. The depth is fantastic. No roll off at all. Decay seems to be very slow to my ears. I'm borderline basshead, but I'm more concerned with quality than quantity. I like the bass, but it's definitely the star of the show, always.

Mid are hard for me to describe. The bloom of the bass definitely interferes with most of the midrange. It sounds like most notes are placed behind the bass, even if it is just acoustic guitar strumming the reverberation interferes with vocals a lot. Due to this the midrange sounds very clustered/confused on any complicated tracks. Strings sound fantastic due to heavier note weight in the lower midrange. Vocals sound pretty muffled and subdued, both male and female. Details are very smoothed over. Very recessed in general to me, but this isn't the case for most on this thread!

The highs are well articulated though everything I hear is similar to the midrange. Details are decent but covered by the bass, so there is never an airy feeling to music. Strings sound great but don't "soar" and high hats lack definition due to the bass bloom. I'm very sensitive to sibilance and for me, there is a ton on this set. An "s" sound in vocals set it off. I tend not to like a lot of treble in general, but I would like it if the details were more discernable on this set. Again, this is not the case for most!

Soundstage is the largest I've heard on a hybrid in width but it is quite short in height (likely due to the treble being subdued). Not very accurate imaging, so things start sounding confusing. Just brilliant width though.

Fit is the bomb. So good.

Cable is amazing.

I will be trading/selling. If anyone is interested, let me know. I'll try the azla tips, as many have on this thread, but I can't imagine they will change the entire signature into a more coherent sound. But! Sounds like the right cables and tip rolling have worked for most, so if you have that ability, I say go for this set! H40 has a lot to offer.

Mar 25, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #920 of 5,044
I got the same question from several PMs. Where do I go next?

As crazy as it may seem I don't know if $500 is going to do it. I can see a different sounding IEM but an actual upgrade? My IT04 is $500. I wouldn't considering it an actual upgrade however. A bit more neutral sounding vs the H40 but not an upgrade.

For me I am waiting on the announcement of the inevitable H50. ISN H40 clearly is a statement piece by ISN and I am willing to bet once they come out with the ISN H50 at around $300 those will be the definitive upgrade on the H40 otherwise.

There are side grades like the TSMR-3pro, blessing 2, DUNU DK2001 and I am hoping Shozy 1.4 might be a good competitor at a cheaper price but an actual upgrade? That is a tough one.

I got the Penon Leo Plus on the H40 listening to it out of my newly aquired Fiio M15. AMAZING. Just stupendous. In fact so much so I am wondering if even my Solaris is an actual upgrade at this point.
Hey hoping to get some friendly advice, trying to decide on a cable upgrade and I know you just did a review on the ISN sc4. Do you also have any experience with nocturnal hydra v2? Which in your opinion would play better with JVC fx 850 and provide a better value? On a side note looking to add another pair of great headphones to my collection. Looking in The $100 to $300 range saw your review on Dunu dk2001 and they caught my eye, as well as moondrop starfield or do you prefer the h40 etc. My collection consists of the fx 850, Dunu 1k, Carbo tenore and basso, Uiisii t8s and Fidelio x2hr. Source is a LG V40. Amps fiio e12a and cayin c5. I'd like the best value/sound money can buy. What are your current favorite in that price bracket with a sound sig that plays well with just about all genres? BTW any new headphone amps you could recommend as well around $300 and under? Sorry for all the questions but just had to pick your brain as I know you have quite a bit of experience with all the new gear/hardware coming out there nowadays. Your assistance, time, and feedback is greatly appreciated!

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #921 of 5,044
You want bang for buck. Get yourself a H40 and an ISN SC4 cable. Boom. That is bang for buck. Cus your getting a great hybrid in the H40 and one of the best bang for buck cables the ISN SC4. If you heard what the H40 sounds like with that cable. I am certain you will be happy with the sonics. I haven't tried it on the FX850 but It should sound nice on it. DK2001 I like a lot as it also comes with a really good mmcx cable which you can also try on the FX850. Love the SQ of the DK2001 but it doesn't have that large sound of the H40. DK2001s are extremely comfortable in the ear if that matters to you for longer listening sessions. It is an excellent package for your money. I think either way you should be fine.

As per amps. Can't help you much there as I am more of a DAP guy. Value for bucks sonically is clearly the Ibasso DX160 at $400. ( On a side note I would wait a bit to get the new updated 2020 version IBasso recently announced.) That player sounds ridiculously good for the money. I recently bought a new Fiio M15 I can't even begin to tell you guys how good this thing sounds. It is amazing for IEMs.

I have an IFI Black Label at home which I highly recommend for everyone. I know it cost more than $300 but is worth the money for certain. It is Semi portable but mostly stationary due to smaller brick size. I see used ones on sale on the sales forums all the time. Worth snapping one up on a sale price if your lucky. Love my Ibasso PB3 is a portable amp but like I said I find myself just using a DAP now a days. Which all have plenty of power and sound quality for on the go for me.

If you looking for an affordable Amp dac IFI just came out with the hip dac that is getting some attention. Not all that expensive either.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #922 of 5,044
You want bang for buck. Get yourself a H40 and an ISN SC4 cable. Boom. That is bang for buck. Cus your getting a great hybrid in the H40 and one of the best bang for buck cables the ISN SC4. If you heard what the H40 sounds like with that cable. I am certain you will be happy with the sonics. I haven't tried it on the FX850 but It should sound nice on it. DK2001 I like a lot as it also comes with a really good mmcx cable which you can also try on the FX850. Love the SQ of the DK2001 but it doesn't have that large sound of the H40. DK2001s are extremely comfortable in the ear if that matters to you for longer listening sessions. It is an excellent package for your money. I think either way you should be fine.

As per amps. Can't help you much there as I am more of a DAP guy. Value for bucks sonically is clearly the Ibasso DX160 at $400. ( On a side note I would wait a bit to get the new updated 2020 version IBasso recently announced.) That player sounds ridiculously good for the money. I recently bought a new Fiio M15 I can't even begin to tell you guys how good this thing sounds. It is amazing for IEMs.

I have an IFI Black Label at home which I highly recommend for everyone. I know it cost more than $300 but is worth the money for certain. It is Semi portable but mostly stationary due to smaller brick size. I see used ones on sale on the sales forums all the time. Worth snapping one up on a sale price if your lucky. Love my Ibasso PB3 is a portable amp but like I said I find myself just using a DAP now a days. Which all have plenty of power and sound quality for on the go for me.

If you looking for an affordable Amp dac IFI just came out with the hip dac that is getting some attention. Not all that expensive either.
Thanks for the feedback! So in your opinion where does D10 and starfield sound/fit compared to h40. Would you take the h40 10 time out of 10 with that cable? Your review of the D10 has me extremely curious. I listen to all types of music but a lot of edm, hip hop, female vocal trance?

Mar 26, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #924 of 5,044
Just for you guys.

"Hi dear friends

ISN D10 just launched, we make a promotional price of USD135,the coupon code is PA101010, provide DHL service with extra USD15, and plus supply 25PCS masks for free for the customers who need it.
Placed an order for D10 last night SG time. The coupon was still available. However, the free 25 pcs masks is only available if you choose DHL/express service.

Mar 26, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #925 of 5,044
Dsnuts: D10 vs NA1?
I had another person ask me this. This was my answer.
I mentioned earlier but both has good stage. NA1 is tuned to have that reference type definition. It has a slight cooler tonality due to the treble extension and detail. If your a treble guy or a macro/micro detail guy. NA1 will be enlightening for you.

The D10 has more in the way of bass emphasis vs the treble skew U fr tuning of the NA1. Sub bass on the NA1 is no weak sauce. Both might be similar there but since the D10 is not a treble biased tuning, It is more sub bass biased. D10 has a bit wider stage vs the NA1. Isolates a bit better too. NA1 is a more for discriminating detail oriented listen. The D10 is more you can listen to it the whole day, enjoy a punchy bass w excellent low end rumble, engaging and fun to listen to all day type of listen. Hope this helps.

Your getting an excellent premium cable with the D10 by the way. The NA1 has a gimpy noodle stock cable with a stiff ear guides that you will be able to feel behind your ears. This alone will make you want to change up the stock cable. Value= D10 wins in that category all day long.

I will be spending some well deserved vacation time at home here next week and I will get to some more in depth comparisons but for now I have to start my write up on the D10 among others I owe a review for. I think for the D10 review I will have some comparisons to some of the others I have been reviewing. TSMR line. Dunu. NA audio. AS well as comparison to the H40.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #926 of 5,044
So this is the first time I seen the sound description of the D10 on the sales page. This describes the sound characteristics of the D10 well.

"Sound signature :
Crystal clear sound with defined low frequency that dives well.
Middle frequency full of clarity & sparkly high frequency."

I would also add excellent sense of space and stage on there too.

Mar 26, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #928 of 5,044
I mentioned this yesterday. If you guys are even remotely curious to get these. The time is now before they run out of their inital batch. It will probably be today actually. No more sale price after. I got confirmation on that.

This being said the new batch will be in a new color and I was told the ISN S4 cable will be in a different color due to the color variation. Otherwise. Save that money for some toilet paper!

Mar 27, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #930 of 5,044
I'm not taking anything away from the H40. Its a very solid contender in the sub $200 price range. However, i am utilizing ~6mm bore tips.

Does anybody know what these tips are?
In a PM Darkestred mentioned to me they are double flanged tips but that is the extent of his knowledge about them.
TIP PICTURE.jpg

Of the silicone tips that come with the H40 and I found that the Smoke outside color and Red on the inside where it grips the nozzle are the ones that seem the best for me. My problem with them is that my Right ear doesn't want to seal very well with them. I really have to work at the angle and insert depth it to get a good seal/ angle/ position. Then moments later something happens and it's not right anymore. I've tried the next size up in that ear but I get the same results. My left ear is perfect every time.

I've tried the 0-ring trick and my AZLA SednaEarfit tips (5mm opening) in both standard length and the shorts. They don't work for me on the H40. They do work good with the Blon BL-03. I also tried the Spinfit CP500 (5mm opening) and they don't work for me and have a loose fit on the nozzle.

By the way if anyone wasn't aware an snug fitting O-ring or the cut portion of a tight fitting ear tip slid over the top of a loose fitting ear tip helps with the whole coming off in your ear thing.

When I tried the Small Foams tips supplied (5mm opening) with the H40 they instantly worked in both ears and were comfortable. I'm not really a foam type of guy but maybe with these I'll have to be. However they have a 5mm opening but I'm looking for a 6mm opening.
I have tried some Tenmack Turbo Whirlwind tips (they have a 6mm opening) in both Med and Large but no success there either. The M didn't seal well and the large feels like I'm stuffing a tennis ball in my ear. They are also loose on the nozzle.

Maybe I'll have to order original Spiral dots again. They didn't work for me on the BL-03 so I'm not sure about this application.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back