ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Mar 15, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #782 of 5,046
Just asked over in the Oriveti thread. Sounds like you can upgrade the H40 cable and save $200 instead of buying the $500 Oriveti.
1584310218997.png

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #783 of 5,046
Very interested in purchasing these ISN H40's, but I have one concern. How efficient are they?

H40 are pretty easy to drive, on par with most of my IEMs.

Quite right. They are easier to drive then the Blon BL-03.

Thanks for the feedback. I thought it came with good cables and tips, no? I guess I'll see what my impression of them is as they come stock and then go from there. Just purchased them from Penon Audio with the express shipping (no idea how much faster that makes it but figured it was worth the $10)

I purchased mine with express shipping too. For me when the item costs this much it's worthwhile because they go through less hands meaning less chance to get damaged. With the added benefit of getting two or more weeks quicker delivery.

Mar 16, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #784 of 5,046
Pulled the trigger from Penon yesterday. Hopefully they won't get stuck in customs. :)

I recently returned the JVC HA FDX1 because I thought it sounded downright horrible. It was very, very good with certain types of songs but lacked bass (It was downright wimpy), very sharp/tinny highs, and an odd soundstage. Not bad for acoustic/strings, but not at all my cup of tea.

I am coming from the IT03, which was almost perfect to my ears for the sub-500 price bracket. The mids were a smidge too thin, the bass could have had slightly more slam,and the soundstage a bit more holographic. Alas, I lost them.

Anyways, does the H40 check these boxes at all? I'm not a straight up basshead, more of a bass-quality/soundstage head (if that were a thing). I mostly listen to rap/electronic music, with a dash of everything else thrown in.

Mar 16, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #785 of 5,046
Pulled the trigger from Penon yesterday. Hopefully they won't get stuck in customs. :)

I recently returned the JVC HA FDX1 because I thought it sounded downright horrible. It was very, very good with certain types of songs but lacked bass (It was downright wimpy), very sharp/tinny highs, and an odd soundstage. Not bad for acoustic/strings, but not at all my cup of tea.

I am coming from the IT03, which was almost perfect to my ears for the sub-500 price bracket. The mids were a smidge too thin, the bass could have had slightly more slam,and the soundstage a bit more holographic. Alas, I lost them.

Anyways, does the H40 check these boxes at all? I'm not a straight up basshead, more of a bass-quality/soundstage head (if that were a thing). I mostly listen to rap/electronic music, with a dash of everything else thrown in.

bet you'll satisfied with H40, they closer to IT04 than IT03, mids have decent weight, note weight is just right but stay clear without bass range disturbing mids. Bass is big in quantity and punch great but in good control. As I describe, not the fastest or tightest bass, but very good in control with great texture and rumble. soundstage wise? one of the best in an IEM, it is the H40 main selling point.

Mar 16, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #786 of 5,046
bet you'll satisfied with H40, they closer to IT04 than IT03, mids have decent weight, note weight is just right but stay clear without bass range disturbing mids. Bass is big in quantity and punch great but in good control. As I describe, not the fastest or tightest bass, but very good in control with great texture and rumble. soundstage wise? one of the best in an IEM, it is the H40 main selling point.
Interesting. I've read in a review the H40 have more bass than the FH5, and the FH5 having more bass than the it03. Would you say the H40 has more bass quantity than the it03? Thanks so much for your input!

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #787 of 5,046
Interesting. I've read in a review the H40 have more bass than the FH5, and the FH5 having more bass than the it03. Would you say the H40 has more bass quantity than the it03? Thanks so much for your input!

H40 has high bass volume, but to me it sounds a bit forced. Like a small speaker trying to pretend it's a big one, that combined with the tight vacum is creating to achieve this makes it not my favorite. It's good don't get me wrong, but compared to it, the FH5 bass sound large, natural and efortless. It's better in every way.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #788 of 5,046

That's a pretty good description. They remind me of playing records with the two channel stereo I had when I was young. 15 in woofers but with more detail and clearer mids. At times I think the bass isn't so much but then I happen on a track or something on youtube that will bring the bass and I just think to myself "Yea I guess they they can shake it down low too". I like bass but am not a basshead. I have to be able to hear the bass guitar, the screaming lead, and faint cymbal work. So far these are working for me with just the stuff that came in the box. Of course I would like to try a cable or two on them.
All in all not much for me to complain about. A little driver flex and the suction effect is about it. Mayyybe a little sizzle up top.

Mar 16, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #790 of 5,046
D's, does that cable look familiar?? Went to the H40 product page but no graph to compare.

Here is the one from the general info page here on Head-fi...

1584380988513.png

1584380895045.png

Looks quite good. If they were measured the same way that is. A smidge less sub roll and less mid-bassy for those who thought the H40 were a bit much there. A bit of leveling of the peak around 3k but below the bass level. Second peak dropped from what the H40's armatures bring and trebles rolls off sooner. Looks like a fun V with both the right amount of mid-bass and treble kept safer but still there. Of course tells little about the stage or detail and other things like how the vocals are in the mix. No crossover being a single but the mids are dipped lower overall. Interesting start even though very little info just to speculate from the graphs.

Mar 16, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #792 of 5,046
I was told the cable that will be included on the retail version will be their ISN C4 actually. The one pictured there is the ISN S4. There might be a way to choose your cables when ordering. Not a 100% certain. The ISN D10 is on its way to me so I will let you guys know how it is.
1584382065436.png

4 Cores single crystal copper. I suppose if you can choose which cable you can order with the D10. The S4 will add a bit more in the way of detail and will be more treble biased. The C4 will be more for mids to bass focus with a smoother treble end. So it will be cool to have that option to choose which cable you prefer. I have both cables and will try both on the D10 and will report.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #794 of 5,046
Smaller is nice. Just to confirm, as they show it with the other cable in the picture, the graph is with the C4 and not the S4 right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back