ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Dec 12, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #76 of 5,053
Currently testing ISN H40 + ISN TD2 Type C DAC Cable Adapter. With the TD2, bass is tighter, midrange is clearer and more forward, airier top end. Good on the go combo.

photo_2019-12-13_01-00-43.jpg

Dec 12, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #77 of 5,053
Mine arrived and immediately I tried the original retired version first and got worried. It was borderline unlistenable mess of sound. Only spent 30 seconds or so before putting it away and try the retail version. Sigh of relief.. It is indeed much much better and sounds expansive in every direction. I am going to tip roll and source match few days and report back with my initial impression.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #78 of 5,053
It is good the they recognized how gimpy the first version was. I have never heard flabby bass on an earphone quite like what is on the retired version. Lol. Kinda cool they are just giving them away. If anything that cable that is on the retired version is usable.

occ-8-core-upgrade-cable-700x700.jpg
I believe it is this. Valued at $35 OCC copper. Not a bad little free bee.

Dec 12, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #79 of 5,053
Mine arrived and immediately I tried the original retired version first and got worried. It was borderline unlistenable mess of sound. Only spent 30 seconds or so before putting it away and try the retail version. Sigh of relief.. It is indeed much much better and sounds expansive in every direction. I am going to tip roll and source match few days and report back with my initial impression.
Yea the new H40 is superior to the retired version.

Dec 12, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #80 of 5,053
Yea the new H40 is superior to the retired version.
That would be quite the understatement of the year !
In 2019 I bought the IT01s, the BLON Cardinal, the H40 and the drop + jvc fx collab (not received yet). And I can say without a doubt that the H40 is my best iem of the year. Heck it easily bests my ~$1000 CTM custom (5 BA) in everything but isolation. Truly my best purchase of the year regardless of category. Christmas is already good for me!

Dec 13, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #82 of 5,053
Dec 13, 2019 at 12:09 AM Post #83 of 5,053
That would be quite the understatement of the year !
In 2019 I bought the IT01s, the BLON Cardinal, the H40 and the drop + jvc fx collab (not received yet). And I can say without a doubt that the H40 is my best iem of the year. Heck it easily bests my ~$1000 CTM custom (5 BA) in everything but isolation. Truly my best purchase of the year regardless of category. Christmas is already good for me!
Glad you enjoy the H40 as much as I do. This is why I recommend the H40 very highly, it is that good.

Can you briefly compare the new H40 to the ikko OH10?
would like to read about this too
The H40 has more punchy bass, thicker lower midrange, less forward upper midrange, more extended treble. The H40 has bigger stage. It really depends on personal preference. Both are very competent IEMs. Cheers!

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #84 of 5,053
Good observations, @audio123,

I bought the original H40 & actually liked it though honestly it wasn't anything to write home about.

My Revised Version is still incoming, should be early next week, looking forward to what is considered dramatic improvements.

Hope you & everyone has a great day !

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #86 of 5,053
I've been trying to find a new iem that has a better form factor than my favourite, the AKG N40, and a similar sound. I managed to find one in the Magaosi DQ40. I use the Enchanced Low Frequency setting on that. Both have a very wide soundstage and some of the sounds seem to come from behind the head. Bothe have similar amounts of bass, though DQ4 seem to have a bit more control, and a proper amount of treble detail. The Ikko OH1 is not to my liking as the treble is way too mellow. The DQ4 can be a little harsh in the treble in High Resolution mode but I still prefer detailed treble to "polite" and "nonfatiguing" same.
In this thread there have been some comparisons between the H40 and the LZ A6 where it is said that the H40 has a smoother treble than the LZ A6:
Quote: "If I have to pick between the ISN H40 & LZ A6, it will be the H40 because of its better fit and fatigue-free sound in comparison."
That has me a little worried. Since I can't use filters on this model to subtly change the sound I would need some kind of assurance that the treble is as "forward" as I prefer it. I just got the Blon 03 and have listened to it for a few hours the last two days. It's good, but not exactly what I'm looking for. I do prefer it to the Ikko OH1 even though the fit is terrible. I have to use the foam tips (13 mm) from the 1more triple driver and have it siting in the outer part of the ear canal. None of the silicon tips I have can be used as they simply don't stay put in my ears.

Dec 13, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #87 of 5,053
I am familiar with the LZ sound since I own the A5. The H40 sounds very natural in all the ranges including treble. It doesnt stick out of the balancing. Again a testament to the fine tuning they did on the H40. If your worried that there will be a lack of forward treble. I wouldnt worry about that at all. It has one of the more controlled detailed refined treble ends for the cost I have heard. The treble end doesnt poke you in the ear with purposefully tuned treble spikes for added detail. They incorporated essentailly 2 BAs for the treble end. To me the treble sounds not only complete but has that added element of sparkle when tunes call for it has excellent extension in the region. No fatigue but detailed and shimmery at the same time.

I did notice with my higher end silver based cables the treble is more highlighted in the tuning so there is that element. With this stock S8 cable there is really nothing lacking in the sound on the H40 that I can hear.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #89 of 5,053
Good observations, @audio123,

I bought the original H40 & actually liked it though honestly it wasn't anything to write how about.

My Revised Version is still incoming, should be early next week, looking forward to what is considered dramatic improvements.

Hope you & everyone has a great day !
Thank you! The revised H40 is superior. Looking forward to what you think of the revised H40.

audio123: You need to get a hold of the NF Audio NA1 and do a review of it.
I have it on my hand. Will review it soon.

I've been trying to find a new iem that has a better form factor than my favourite, the AKG N40, and a similar sound. I managed to find one in the Magaosi DQ40. I use the Enchanced Low Frequency setting on that. Both have a very wide soundstage and some of the sounds seem to come from behind the head. Bothe have similar amounts of bass, though DQ4 seem to have a bit more control, and a proper amount of treble detail. The Ikko OH1 is not to my liking as the treble is way too mellow. The DQ4 can be a little harsh in the treble in High Resolution mode but I still prefer detailed treble to "polite" and "nonfatiguing" same.
In this thread there have been some comparisons between the H40 and the LZ A6 where it is said that the H40 has a smoother treble than the LZ A6:
Quote: "If I have to pick between the ISN H40 & LZ A6, it will be the H40 because of its better fit and fatigue-free sound in comparison."
That has me a little worried. Since I can't use filters on this model to subtly change the sound I would need some kind of assurance that the treble is as "forward" as I prefer it. I just got the Blon 03 and have listened to it for a few hours the last two days. It's good, but not exactly what I'm looking for. I do prefer it to the Ikko OH1 even though the fit is terrible. I have to use the foam tips (13 mm) from the 1more triple driver and have it siting in the outer part of the ear canal. None of the silicon tips I have can be used as they simply don't stay put in my ears.
I can assure you the H40 treble is extended and prominent.

Enjoy & Happy Listening everyone! :)

Dec 13, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #90 of 5,053
Thank you! The revised H40 is superior. Looking forward to what you think of the revised H40.

Not a problem, @audio123, definitely let you know...
As an aside, might turn out to be similar in scalability & value to IT 01 being able to punch way above its price class.
IF this turns out to be the case, I look forward to being potentially impressed though I have no misconceptions or do comparisons...

By the way, off topic but looking forward to your AM05 review !

Keep up the good work !

Hope you have a great day !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back