ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Mar 16, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #4,966 of 5,044
Penon sent through some new goodies I plan on reviewing in due course, in the meantime here are a some brief impressions from my last few days with them. :relaxed:

Penon Liqueur Eartips come in two varieties (4 sizes each), orange and black which vary slightly in construction – the black ones are thicker walled, as a result the two sound slightly different.

If you’ve ever tried Azla Sedna Xelastecs you’ll know they feel very tacky/sticky which helps create a really strong seal. The Liqueur tips feel similar but thankfully nowhere near to the same extent, as I could never get along with the Xelastecs for that reason. Instead they’re much closer to regular silicone, but sized quite large – the largest are actually too big for my ears, whereas I typically use the largest size on most eartips. Good news if you’re someone who struggles to find tips large enough.

Both the orange & black versions are quite soft & comfortable, in my early tests the orange tips seem to emphasise upper midrange more & sound a bit airier than the blacks, which highlight midbass and seem a bit darker. I turned on my very noisy robovac to conduct some noise tests, and the black versions in particular are superb at creating a very strong seal – they seem to isolate better than any other tips in my collection (except Xelastecs which I don't like) so I plan to use them on public transport.

ISN Neo3s are extremely light, I wouldn’t call them small but they’re very comfortable as the stems are long enough that the portion of the shells that makes contact with my ears is fairly slender. As expected from an ISN IEM they’re very bassy with sub bass that goes quite deep, but I wouldn’t call it exaggerated or excessively dominant. In fact they sound quite balanced, even polite.

Compared to the Neo1s I recently reviewed the Neo3s have a much wider soundstage, are smoother & less shouty with a greater sense of refinement. The Neo5s by contrast feel more bass dominant than the Neo3s, with a much slower DD bass driver. They’re also brighter, more dynamic & v-shaped whereas the Neo3s are more neutral. I’ve quickly A/Bed the Neo3s against the NiceHCK F1 Pros which are also much brighter and perhaps faster but don’t sound as natural.

Penon OS133 USB-C Dongle is on the smaller & more ergonomic side of dongles I’ve tried over the years, and is way less expensive than those I use – however I’m very much a DAP lover out & about, and only ever use dongles with my laptop. However for maximum portability the OS133’s design is much less burdensome than the usual dongle form factor, and feels like plugging an IEM directly into your phone with a slightly longer & heavier cable.

Sonically the OS133 isn't as refined as the Penon Tail, with a background that’s not quite as black & instruments that aren’t as separated, though the OS133 has more emphasised sub bass and is more v-shaped overall which is going to suit energetic genres, whereas by contrast the Tail is fairly neutral.

Swapping to the far more expensive RU7 unlocks a whole new level of refinement with a more analogue tonality, though for some reason I find my iPhone 15 Pro’s USB-C port doesn’t do any of these dongles full justice – they all sound much better through my Macbook for some reason… but for $35 the OS133 feels like a super convenient way to use IEMs through my phone.

Penon ASOS+ Cable is identical to the regular ASOS I recently reviewed, except the ASOS’ modular plug & 2pin connectors have been replaced by a higher quality ‘purple copper’ plug & 2pin connectors with the ASOS+. As someone who’s DIYed my own IEM cables I’m well aware connector quality (especially 4.4mm plugs) can have a substantial impact on performance but have never had the chance to A/B identical cables where only the connectors differ.

After briefly comparing the ASOS+ with the ASOS on the ISN Neo5s, I find the ASOS+ has better dynamics, improved note weight & deeper bass. Vocals sound smaller & more recessed on the ASOS, everything feels more mechanical and less organic whereas the ASOS+ feels much more direct with music flowing more effortlessly.

This lines up with my prior experiences with modular friction-fit connectors - that they tend to rob musicality. For an extra $46 I’d strongly recommend spending the extra on the ASOS+ if you’re considering purchasing either cable, as I would personally never dream of purchasing an expensive cable with friction-fit connectors because what you gain in convenience IMHO simply isn’t worth putting up with sound that's more robotic, mechanical & less natural. Of course it’s easy for me to say that given all my IEMs use 2pin connectors and my sources have 4.4mm sockets, but that’s very much by design.

Mar 17, 2024 at 7:37 AM Post #4,967 of 5,044
Amazing synergy:
ISN Neo 5 + Fiio M15S + ISN CS02
One of the best cables I came across lately and it's a perfect match for Neo 5. Now it sounds even more dynamic and musical, great combo!

IMG_20240317_132003.jpg

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #4,968 of 5,044
Just received my EST50, here are my early impressions :)

So far its not exactly what I expected, although not bad at all! I expected them to be bass monsters after looking at the reviews but so far they sound rather balanced to me haha

The highs are very present and crisp, just how I like it -> was scared I would be missing treble, hell nah^^ The ESTs are doing their work for sure (the extra sparkle is very noticeable without being irritating, although I am not treble-sensitive at all), a lot of air in the upper region!

Bass is great but I expected a bit more in terms of quantity? Its way more track dependent than I thought, which is a positive overall but I have to adjust my expectations I guess. It sounds nicely controlled with great extension down low. D&B is great!!! The sub-bass can be crazy good on them. Definitely something different from the BA/Planar bass I am used to in iems

The mids I like a lot, not recessed too much, instruments sound lovely and have a nice weight/body to them. Voices are also way more present than expected and sound rather lovely! So far they work for every track I throw at them perfectly

Soundstage isn`t huge but depending on the recording you get a nice 3d effect

Isolation/comfort is great but none of the included tips worked for me, had to go through 3 tips to get a nice seal -> Spinfit W1 it is for now

TLDR: I wouldn`t call them basshead-iems but rather a nice balanced (slightly v-shaped) sound with great (elevated) bass that doesen`t overpower the rest of the spectrum at all. Seems like a great all-rounder! Especially enjoying Rock/Metal and D&B right now but for techno I simply was expecting a bit more impact/slam. Every track with sub-bass focus is amazing though! Also they are a lot brighter than I expected, which is overall a positive for me

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #4,969 of 5,044

So far its not exactly what I expected, although not bad at all! I expected them to be bass monsters after looking at the reviews but so far they sound rather balanced to me haha

The highs are very present and crisp, just how I like it -> was scared I would be missing treble, hell nah^^ The ESTs are doing their work for sure (the extra sparkle is very noticeable without being irritating, although I am not treble-sensitive at all), a lot of air in the upper region!

Bass is great but I expected a bit more in terms of quantity? Its way more track dependent than I thought, which is a positive overall but I have to adjust my expectations I guess. It sounds nicely controlled with great extension down low. D&B is great with them!!! The sub-bass can be crazy good on them. Definitely something different from the BA/Planar bass I am used to in iems

The mids I like a lot, not recessed too much, instruments sound lovely and have a nice weight/body to them. Voices are also way more present than expected and sound rather lovely! So far they work for every track I throw at them perfectly

Isolation/comfort is great but none of the included tips worked for me, had to go through 3 tips to get a nice seal -> Spinfit W1 it is for now

TLDR: I wouldn`t call them basshead-iems but rather a nice balanced (slightly v-shaped) sound with great (elevated) bass that doesen`t overpower the rest of the spectrum at all. Seems like a great all-rounder! Especially enjoying Rock/Metal and D&B right now but for techno I simply was expecting a bit more impact/slam. Every track with sub-bass focus is amazing though! Also they are a lot brighter than I expected, which is overall a positive for me
Give the DD time to break in...for bass.

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #4,971 of 5,044

Bass is great but I expected a bit more in terms of quantity? Its way more track dependent than I thought, which is a positive overall but I have to adjust my expectations I guess. It sounds nicely controlled with great extension down low. D&B is great with them!!! The sub-bass can be crazy good on them. Definitely something different from the BA/Planar bass I am used to in iems

The bass extension is very good on sub bass and relatively clean into the low midrange, help est50 not sound too bassy on all type of music. But when its bass there, it delivers 💯

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #4,973 of 5,044
I`m falling in love with some of my old tracks all over again :) They render older recordings of rock music so beautiful... I love this treble! Never heard an iem with EST drivers and I am just amazed at the detail and sparkle in the upper region. It just sounds so lively. Not a hint of artificial timbre, its just a nice organic sound that is very "Hi-Fi" without sounding digital. And the bass gives every track such a nice foundation while the midrange has a nice warmth to it. I ain`t missing a single thing when listening to rock with these, seems like they are made for each other :D

Also got a freebie with my order (https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-type-c-dac-adapter.html), gonna try it later but since I got the Hiby R5 ii I`m not sure how much use its going to see. Anyone has experience with this adapter? Could be a nice alternative when I just want to grab my phone and listen on the go Just tried it, its not bad at all, especially for the price! Definitely going to see some use on the go. But it almost destroyed my eardrums on first listen because I forgot to turn it down

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #4,974 of 5,044
I`m falling in love with some of my old tracks all over again :) They render old recordings of rock music so beautiful... I love this treble! Never heard an iem with EST drivers and I am just amazed at the detail and sparkle in the upper region. It just sounds so lively. Not a hint of artificial timbre, its just a nice organic sound that is very "Hi-Fi" without sounding digital. And the bass gives every track such a nice foundation while the midrange has a nice warmth to it. I ain`t missing a single thing when listening to rock with these, seems like they are made for each other :D

Also got a freebie with my order (https://penonaudio.com/isn-audio-type-c-dac-adapter.html), gonna try it later but since I got the Hiby R5 ii I`m not sure how much use its going to see. Anyone has experience with this adapter? Could be a nice alternative when I just want to grab my phone and listen on the go
The EST50 changes character a lot with cable changes, so try it out with whatever decent cables you have to hand. You should get various flavours of bassy, articulate awesome.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #4,975 of 5,044
The EST50 changes character a lot with cable changes, so try it out with whatever decent cables you have to hand. You should get various flavours of bassy, articulate awesome.
Which cable would you recommend for giving them a bit more mid-bass? Or just give them more bass overall? I like the signature they have now and ain`t sure if the vocal cable would be the right one for me, although it is highly recommended.

I only have the S12 Pro cable around at the moment. Going to try it later but since its made from the same material I don`t think there will be a huge difference

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #4,976 of 5,044
Which cable would you recommend for giving them a bit more mid-bass? Or just give them more bass overall? I like the signature they have now and ain`t sure if the vocal cable would be the right one for me, although it is highly recommended.

I only have the S12 Pro cable around at the moment. Going to try it later but since its made from the same material I don`t think there will be a huge difference
Depends on your budget. Given the sales, I’ll recommend NiceHCK a lot.
Bargain (~$15): BlackCat
Cheap (~$25): SilverCat or SnowCat
Mid (~$45): Xinhs 2core palladium silver
Upper (~$55): Maple, GreyDragon
High (~$70): ISN S2/H2/C2
Pricy (~$100): Reconditioned EA Ares 2+

I’m using a NiceHCK GreyDragon, giving emphasis to mid-bass and mids, but am tempted to use something with more sub-bass.

If you want bass and treble emphasised, the SilverCat and Xinhs do that well. That Xinhs is a little hot in the treble for me, but may suit you.

The Vocal is great with the EST50, but definitely emphasises mids/vocals over bass.

Hope that helps.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #4,977 of 5,044

I’m using a NiceHCK GreyDragon, giving emphasis to mid-bass and mids, but am tempted to use something with more sub-bass.

If you want bass and treble emphasised, the SilverCat and Xinhs do that well. That Xinhs is a little hot in the treble for me, but may suit you.

The Vocal is great with the EST50, but definitely emphasises mids/vocals over bass.

Hope that helps.
Thanks a lot, that`s a great starting point! Silver Cat and Xinhs sound like the right fit for me. But honestly, what are those sale prices?! They won`t go back to full price after the timer runs out right? In the eu such a price foolery would be illegal :D

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #4,978 of 5,044
Thanks a lot, that`s a great starting point! Silver Cat and Xinhs sound like the right fit for me. But honestly, what are those sale prices?! They won`t go back to full price after the timer runs out right? In the eu such a price foolery would be illegal :D
NiceHCK mess around a lot with prices. At the sale prices, they are usually good value. Outside sales, they jack up the prices too much (though not as high as the sales claim). I don’t agree with that practice, but they do make good cables. So long as you get them on sale.

Mar 19, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #4,980 of 5,044
Lol @ "Pricy" $100

I'm using the EA Cadmus 8-wire on my EST50 and the sound is sublime. I honestly can't even find a flaw anywhere. It's fast, punchy, dynamic, has great bass, airy highs, pinpoint imaging, crystal clarity, and huge soundstage. True flagship quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back