ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jan 29, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #466 of 5,044
It scales tremendously even with high end cables and DAPs. The H40 is just a special IEM.

Agree on the DAP and DAC side. I hooked them up to my desktop setup and they sounded even better than on my (rather budget) DAP.
And they are incredibly easy to drive on my FiiO X3 on low gain, I don't need more than 40 volume at most, they play very loud.

Jan 29, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #467 of 5,044
Can anyone compare the H40 with the ThieAudio Voyager 3?

Jan 29, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #468 of 5,044
Finally got my ISN H40. I've been listening to them for over three hours now, having used the FH5 earlier in the day before I got them I must say I'm not that impressed. To start, cable cutting sound on one channel so that goes into the garbage. Construction is OK but nowhere near as nice as the FH5. Put them in my ears, bit of driver flex which always annoys me but the constant vacuum feeling I'm getting is what's pissing me off. Sound wise, these don't seem spacious to me as I've seen them described, just average. Nowhere near something like E4000 or E5000, even the FH5 sounds less in your head. Bass is also less satisfying than the FH5, feels smaller and not as lively and defined. Midrange is a bit better though as it doesn't have that honky peak the FH5 has. All in all, not a bad sound, have to listen for a few days to create an impression, maybe they'll grow on me.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #469 of 5,044
Cable cutting out. Tell Penon they will send you a new one. As per the bass. I got a bit of that narrow bass sounding out of the box. I dont know if you believe in burn in but I would burn them in a bit. Bass fills out nicely once that is done. Try using some foams.

Jan 29, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #470 of 5,044
Hi, I finally got my H40. WOW.
A solid upgrade to my Unique Melody´s Miracle at a fifth of their price. Unbelievable!!!
Big, effortless, coherent sound, bass kicks hard when needed; beautiful, lush, smoooooth midrange, and extended, clear, non-fatiguing treble.
Love the way voices are presented, not recessed but neither upfront.
Paired with E1DA 9038S, I am getting a very transparent, detailed, clean sound from end to end, with great layering, and instrument separation. Soundstage feels wide and tall.
Very engaging and addictive sound. I´m totally hooked.
Fantastic IEM, that´s what I wish Obravo cupids could have achieved, but not quite there.

The only caveat to H40 is the shell size, if they were just 1 mm wider, it would not have fit me.
Coming from Tin Audio P1, these feel huge.
The only thing that keeps me away from losing completely myself into the music is the permanent awareness of having something tight in my ears.
I wish they were the same size as BGMP DM6, which fits like a glove.
No time yet for tip rolling, will try later New Bees and Final E and see how it goes.

My profound gratitude to each one who recced this beauty, and particularly to @Dsnuts and @tgx78, who help me decide on H40 instead of Tri I3.
Time to rediscover my music collection.
Now it begins my search for something similar to H40 but with the smaller form factor. Right now kind of intrigued by IMR R2 Red.
Thank you all, Jose

Jan 29, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #471 of 5,044
A solid upgrade to my Unique Melody´s Miracle at a fifth of their price. Unbelievable!!!
Big, effortless, coherent sound, bass kicks hard when needed; beautiful, lush, smoooooth midrange, and extended, clear, non-fatiguing treble.
Paired with E1DA 9038S, I am getting a very transparent, detailed, clean sound from end to end, with great layering, and instrument separation. Soundstage feels wide and tall.
Fantastic IEM, that´s what I wish Obravo cupids could have achieved, but not quite there.

The only caveat to H40 is the shell size, if they were just 1 mm wider, it would not have fit me.
The only thing that keeps me away from losing completely myself into the music is the permanent awareness of having something tight in my ears.
No time yet for tip rolling, will try later New Bees and Final E and see how it goes.

My profound gratitude to each one who recced this beauty, and particularly to @Dsnuts and @tgx78, who help me decide on H40 instead of Tri I3.
Now it begins my search for something similar to H40 but with the smaller form factor. Right now kind of intrigued by IMR R2 Red.
Thank you all, Jose
My imr collection is great but I’m preferring the h40 and campfire atlas

Jan 29, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #472 of 5,044
Agree on the DAP and DAC side. I hooked them up to my desktop setup and they sounded even better than on my (rather budget) DAP.
And they are incredibly easy to drive on my FiiO X3 on low gain, I don't need more than 40 volume at most, they play very loud.
Indeed. My latest favourite combo is H40 + PW Monile 4 core Shielding out of my DX220. So good :p

FB_IMG_1580350374923.jpg

Finally got my ISN H40. I've been listening to them for over three hours now, having used the FH5 earlier in the day before I got them I must say I'm not that impressed. To start, cable cutting sound on one channel so that goes into the garbage. Construction is OK but nowhere near as nice as the FH5. Put them in my ears, bit of driver flex which always annoys me but the constant vacuum feeling I'm getting is what's pissing me off. Sound wise, these don't seem spacious to me as I've seen them described, just average. Nowhere near something like E4000 or E5000, even the FH5 sounds less in your head. Bass is also less satisfying than the FH5, feels smaller and not as lively and defined. Midrange is a bit better though as it doesn't have that honky peak the FH5 has. All in all, not a bad sound, have to listen for a few days to create an impression, maybe they'll grow on me.
Run the H40 in for a few days then compare :)
As I have those IEMs you mentioned too, the H40 surpasses them easily imo.

Thank you all, Jose
Given my exposure to those IEMs extensively, the H40 is definitely better than those IEMs mentioned. Agreed. As for the UM Miracle, the Miracle is a decade old IEM :p

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #474 of 5,044

Thank you all, Jose

so the h40 + E1DA 9038s is better combo..
wow cant't wait..

Jan 29, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #477 of 5,044
I use these foam tips
HTB1mqdSasfrK1RjSszcq6xGGFXaz.jpg

The T400 knock offs here. Obviously they are copying Complys. So hows about 20 pairs that is 40 pieces of whatever sized tip you use for $10 shipped to you.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32749908913.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dih9d7b

No driver flex and no suction effect at all.

I use these tips on a lot of my earphones. They do the trick every time. The inner silicone core makes them have excellent bass performance and unlike actual complys that deaden the treble range. These don't due to the stiffer foam material. They form well in the ear gives better isolation and did I mention you get 20 pairs? Lol

I forgot to mention these are actually physically longer/taller than most foams. These are perfect for shorter nozzled earphones. And they have a nice wide mouth about 5mm. Don't restrict sonics on any phone they are attached to.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #479 of 5,044
They are a very good set, like my impressions on previous page, I said they have wide soundstage but not jawdropping huge, and imaging isn't the best for me. For me their strong points are the coherence, the dynamics and their attack that precise and gone like a ninja at right time, and what most impressed me is the note weight, timbre and tonality. Basically a complete set you can get without major weakness here. downside for me is their sensitivity thus very prone to hiss, and this just about preference matter that bass quantity is too big for me, bass quality is very good, not fastest decay but very good.

What is this 9038s btw?
short story, there is a russian audiophile and he is tech savvy, living in china, he built the mini DAP, brand them E1DA.
E1DA have 2 types now, power DAC v2, and 9038s. Power DAC V2 is bigger and not so portable, warmer type but have app built by his son than can EQ without sacrifice quality, so currently TinHifi P1 which are very capable technicalities with their planar driver can be retune with their app and become much favorable. the 9038s on other side is like dragon fly USB DAC, but their quality is very very good, beat the midfi DAP quality like hiby R5 and ibasso DX160, too good to be true but that what the R5 and DX160 owner said. The 9038s is more neutral and detail oriented, more better in technical resolving, and more portable but downside they are sucking out your phone / DAP battery like crazy. currently only 9038s with 2.5 balanced out are available but they will come with 9038D for 3.5 unbalanced.

Jan 30, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #480 of 5,044
Going from my low tier Cayin N3 to 9038S as a Dac/Amp on the H40, the change is notorious.
It is like listening through a magnifier glass, details are more pronounced, instrument separation and layering more distinct, tighter bass and soundstage expands quite a bit.

Forgot to mention in my former post one key attribute of these beauties is the fantastic dynamics they have in their musical presentation.
Whenever I try a new earphone I use Sheffield´s direct-to-disc drum solo recording, and so far H40 has given the best rendition of all earphones I have tried (none of TOTL). They brought back memories of my audition of Wilson Audio Sasha, fantastic dynamics, razor-sharp definition and very fast attack accompanied by crystalline and transparent mids and smooth highs.

Of all rock bands I listen to, Riverside´s Mariusz Duda voice is the one I enjoy the most. With H40, I am noticing nuances in his renditions I never noticed before, increasing my emotional involvement with the music.
If they were just a little bit smaller they would be perfect for me!!!
Cheers, Jose

Users who are viewing this thread

Back