ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Nov 30, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #4,036 of 5,046
Also, any tips on uh, tips while I'm ordering from Penon audio? I tend to use both silicon and foam ones intermittently, and good isolation is also important for me. If penon doesn't have anything good in this regard it's fine, I'm mainly concerned about cost efficiency on this part.

If you order anything from Penon, take the opportunity to throw in a set of Dunu S&S tips or Spiral Dots if you don’t have them already. They let you choose the size of each pair of tips in the set, which is a very cost-effective option that I wish more retailers offered as well. E.g. I usually use ML or L, but sometimes size down to M for IEMs that require deeper insertion (like Fan 2, H30 or even Serial) so it’s very helpful to be able to order a mix of sizes like 2 pairs L and 1 pair M.

I have a set of the Dunus on the way with my latest order.

Nov 30, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #4,037 of 5,046
I'm interested in getting either the H40 or H50 (leaning towards H50), I'd be using them about 50/50 between music/gaming. I have a decent idea of their sonic differences from reading around here, but I'm curious if anyone here has experience with both for gaming (or movies/shows ig), in terms of how much the difference in their characteristics affect immersion/enjoyment, and precision/realisticness in locating sounds like footsteps? Wondering if any differences in this area would justify getting either over the other.

Also, any tips on uh, tips while I'm ordering from Penon audio? I tend to use both silicon and foam ones intermittently, and good isolation is also important for me. If penon doesn't have anything good in this regard it's fine, I'm mainly concerned about cost efficiency on this part.
I have a mint set of H50 if you're interested in saving a bit. Still haven't posted on the classifieds but i might today finally.

Nov 30, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #4,038 of 5,046
Just a tip, IEMs that has to much emphasis in 6-8k region will make your ears blead from gunshots in games.

I would recommend the Penon Serials, used it much this weekend in both BF, overwatch and PUBG. It has good pinpoint imaging in-game and a very good and fun sounding IEM. Maybe not the largest soundstage but quite good in direction. But the Serial can have too much bass for very competive gaming. This also goes for h40 and 50.

A neutral IEM with good details and soundstage imagining is usually best for the competive part, but then they can be boring on some genres of music.
Thanks for reminding me of the part about high treble and gunshots. Tried using my ER2XR with white filters (the highest treble ones), and after I got adjusted the treble seems fine to me, so I think I should be alright? Otherwise I could just eq the treble, competitive fps isn't my main thing anyway.

I'm actually looking for good treble (and bass, and soundstage) IEMs, so the H40/H50 seem better for me than the Serial, but thanks for the suggestion.

I'm interested in getting either the H40 or H50 (leaning towards H50), I'd be using them about 50/50 between music/gaming. I have a decent idea of their sonic differences from reading around here, but I'm curious if anyone here has experience with both for gaming (or movies/shows ig), in terms of how much the difference in their characteristics affect immersion/enjoyment, and precision/realisticness in locating sounds like footsteps? Wondering if any differences in this area would justify getting either over the other.
Anyone able to comment on this? Sorry if I'm spamming, but the penon audio sale is ending in 4½ hours and I'd like some perspective on this :)

Nov 30, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #4,039 of 5,046
I would say if you can muster the bucks for the H50 go for those as it is the more accurate sounding IEM with a large stage, they certainly image better than the H40. The H40 is a full bodied warmer sounding IEM but the better technical aspects and precision of the H50 will be better for positional cues. I would go for the H50.

And if your getting a new set from penon. Throw in some Dunu S&S tips to go with them. You will thank me later.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #4,040 of 5,046
Thanks for reminding me of the part about high treble and gunshots. Tried using my ER2XR with white filters (the highest treble ones), and after I got adjusted the treble seems fine to me, so I think I should be alright? Otherwise I could just eq the treble, competitive fps isn't my main thing anyway.

I'm actually looking for good treble (and bass, and soundstage) IEMs, so the H40/H50 seem better for me than the Serial, but thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone able to comment on this? Sorry if I'm spamming, but the penon audio sale is ending in 4½ hours and I'd like some perspective on this :)
Would clearly go for H50 then, you will get a seriously good IEM for both music and gaming. But this is from reading the reviews, and if @Dsnuts say its best I would listen. Just got the Fiio K7 as a gift for my brother and its brilliant, so the advices stands right again :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #4,041 of 5,046
On another note does Penon usually have sales around chinese new year?
I wonder if I shall wait or go for it now. Since I have some IEMs on the way.
Paycheck was big this month, so I'm curious about the EST50. A fun and technical sounding IEM for techno etc sounds good. Should be a good IEM to have besides FAN2 and Serial.

Dec 1, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #4,042 of 5,046
Probable have 500h of burn in and usage on H30, they have transformed for me. It's still not a mellow sound, the treble is clear and crisp. Just not so edgy anymore, mids has been good all the way. Low end is probably what have changed the most. Punchy and digs deep, specially on tracks from Infected Mushroom. The soundstage is brilliant in this price range.

It is now stuck in the portable rig together with SG-01 OVA, but lately I haven't touched the SG-01 OVA.

I still think that some of the early adopter's who didn't give it more time with burn in and tip rolling has let a very good IEM pass by.

Attachments

• PXL_20221201_081431540~3.jpg
    PXL_20221201_081431540~3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Dec 1, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #4,043 of 5,046
Probable have 500h of burn in and usage on H30, they have transformed for me. It's still not a mellow sound, the treble is clear and crisp. Just not so edgy anymore, mids has been good all the way. Low end is probably what have changed the most. Punchy and digs deep, specially on tracks from Infected Mushroom. The soundstage is brilliant in this price range.

It is now stuck in the portable rig together with SG-01 OVA, but lately I haven't touched the SG-01 OVA.

I still think that some of the early adopter's who didn't give it more time with burn in and tip rolling has let a very good IEM pass by.
More subbass than SG01OVA? What about compared to Fan 2?

Dec 1, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #4,044 of 5,046
FAN2 I haven't tried yet, it's stuck still at the post office due to some paper error. Had a quick test from a friend only so it's hard to say.

From my hearing the H30 has maybe about the same amount sub bass, maybe a little south of SG-01 OVA. The mid bass is a little leaner and has no bleed compared to SG-01 OVA. The mid bass is more punchy and fast on H30.

Basically H30 is more w shaped and the SG01 OVA is more L shaped in tonality. Sg01 is also cheaper and perhaps better for a new person into the hobby.

Keep in mind if you use a Headphone/IEM for a while and don't change it out then that becomes your new baseline👍 so basically if you come from Bass monster everything else will sound dull until you used it for a time.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #4,045 of 5,046
Paycheck was big this month, so I'm curious about the EST50. A fun and technical sounding IEM for techno etc sounds good. Should be a good IEM to have besides FAN2 and Serial.

I don’t recall Penon having Chinese New Year sales. IIRC there was an Easter one last year but can’t remember if it’s a regular thing. Maybe reach out and see if they’re willing to extend their Black Friday discount to you since it only just ended. Congrats on the paycheck. I have an EST50 on the way. Looking forward to it!

Dec 1, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #4,046 of 5,046
I have been very close to buy it for a while, I want a tribrid IEM. Looked at both Moonlight, Oracle, Variations and EST50 as the first one to try. But the subwoofer like bass on EST50 sounds tempting for techno etc.

Dec 1, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #4,047 of 5,046
I have been very close to buy it for a while, I want a tribrid IEM. Looked at both Moonlight, Oracle, Variations and EST50 as the first one to try. But the subwoofer like bass on EST50 sounds tempting for techno etc.
Dont know about the variations but the Moonlight is more neutral in how it performs, a higher end H30 basically. EST50 is got that room filling speaker like bass presentation, very musical full bodied full bored sound. Very excellent for EDM genres. Greates aspect of the EST50 is that you can make them sound as audiophile as you like or as fun as you like depending on how much bass you need. Cables tune them to be whatever you like. Cables affect the EST50 more than any other ISN IEM. It will clearly be something different for you too so there is that aspect.

Dec 1, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #4,048 of 5,046
Going to wait over Xmas, so I can get SA6 in the house first. Will be a very busy time forward for me, can contemplate my thoughts on the tribrid also over this time.

Dec 1, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #4,050 of 5,046
I don’t recall Penon having Chinese New Year sales. IIRC there was an Easter one last year but can’t remember if it’s a regular thing. Maybe reach out and see if they’re willing to extend their Black Friday discount to you since it only just ended. Congrats on the paycheck. I have an EST50 on the way. Looking forward to it!

Its their anniversary sale in April/Easter. But since they are now also on Aliexpress some promo coupons will apply to them too.

Have fun with the EST50!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back