ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
May 15, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #1,186 of 5,044
First L9 impressions over the H40:
The sound is slightly more mature, more refined (with stock L9 cable, green tips from the H40).
The bass is impactful, not intrusive into the mids, more controlled, but a tad slow (10h burnin so far). The details are more audible. For example on Dear Winter from AJR, Amazon ultra HD version, you can hear nicely the fingers plucking the acoustic guitar, I haven't heard it that way before and it's beautiful.
The comfort is also improved over the H40 and the iems are really beautiful.
Is this a better H40? I think so. Is it $350 better? I don't think so.
My early take is that the L9 is a 15-20% upgrade but the H40 is my value king, by far.
More in the upcoming days.

May 15, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #1,188 of 5,044
Languange barrier? You can try to email them again and quote @Dsnuts words. Hopefully they will send you d10 and you can sell the h40 and the money for you
Update!!! Well what we have discovered is that I have the d10 but that it came in the h40 box and packaging. Weird as hell but I got it. I love it straight out the box. So I take back my angry words penon. All good in the land

May 15, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #1,189 of 5,044
Got my H40 today too. It took a bit less than 3 weeks to get to UK. So not that bad. Ussual time to be honest from aliexpress.

I must say they are impressive. Really did not expect them to be that good.
I definately like them more than Shockwave III.
I personally would not say they are better than my IMR Rah but they are not far off.
Though Rah is more expensive. And H40 needs a some time to burn in to jump to conclusions. Also need to tip roll properly.

One thing they really are better at is fit. While they are big they sit in ear very securely. Though i think they can feel a bit intrusive with time. Need spend some time with them to see.

All in all it is really impressive for a price.
I like the h40 better than my Rah personally.

May 15, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #1,190 of 5,044
First L9 impressions over the H40:
The sound is slightly more mature, more refined (with stock L9 cable, green tips from the H40).
The bass is impactful, not intrusive into the mids, more controlled, but a tad slow (10h burnin so far). The details are more audible. For example on Dear Winter from AJR, Amazon ultra HD version, you can hear nicely the fingers plucking the acoustic guitar, I haven't heard it that way before and it's beautiful.
The comfort is also improved over the H40 and the iems are really beautiful.
Is this a better H40? I think so. Is it $350 better? I don't think so.
My early take is that the L9 is a 15-20% upgrade but the H40 is my value king, by far.
More in the upcoming days.
I would think for just 15-20% upgrade, an upgrade cable like ISN AG8 (209USD) or CU4 (159USD) for the balanced termination will suffice.

May 16, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #1,191 of 5,044
DHL is awesome. They picked my L9 on Monday from Shenzen, received it 2 days later... No custom fees.
Good luck with your order.
My Hong Kong post parcel is still stuck somewhere, probably lost

Mine is looking good.I enabled SMS updates. Today I got an update - LOS ANGELES GATEWAY, CA - USA

I should have it by Wednesday as tracking says

May 18, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #1,192 of 5,044
Does anyone in this thread have the H40 and the Starfield? I searched and the only comparison I could find was a mention that the Blessing 2 was an upgrade over the Starfield with the H40 and Blessing 2 being side-grades of each other. However, from what I understand the Starfield and Blessing 2 are fairly different sound signatures so that's not as clear cut as it could be.

I'm keen to read thoughts between the H40 and Starfield; I really enjoy the Starfield, it's cracking value but I'm always looking to upgrade.

May 18, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #1,193 of 5,044
I just got my D10's and honestly, I can't say I'm too impressed. VS the TFZ No.3's, the only improvement is comfort. Sub bass is about equal in songs that call for it although not as detailed, mid bass is lower in the D10's (and not as clean), and while vocals might be slightly more forward in the D10's, they aren't as crisp. Comfort wise I'd give the D10's a 9.5 though while the No.3's get a 4, note that I apparently have fairly small ears.

These are my first impressions and I will update this post eventually. I was going to try out the Spinfit cp100's to see how they are, but Penon sent me medium instead of small, rip. I do have Ikko i-planet's that I'm going to be trying out though.

Update: You know what it sounds like? It sounds like there's those little clear plastic peel off protectors covering the filters, almost like the D10's are being needlessly suffocated, it shows more in certain songs, and EQ can't get rid of it. Still using the default tips which fit very well, I'll update again when I swap them.

Oh yeah, the right ear cuts out if I try to adjust it too, but I already contacted Penon about that. Edit: The cables are marked incorrectly as well, R is L and L is R. Decided to swap the L&R ear pieces as well just to see if the cutting out would still be and it still is, Penon is working on sending out a replacement, I'm just waiting on the tracking info.

Penon got back to me and they are aware of the issue so they are sending me out one of the newer cables, awesome customer support.

5/20/2020 Edit below:

Overall thoughts: Not very "clean" sounding, most genre's are bloated with an overall muddy sound, timbre is bad, and the mid bass is terribly textured. Sub bass isn't bad, but it isn't great, it's there when it's called upon as previously mentioned, but I'd actually say that the sub bass in the No.3's was cleaner and overall better. Some songs actually have me asking where the bass is. Soundstage is fairly large, and these have been very good in both competitive CS:GO and Valorant, so I'm happy about that. Comfort is still good, and I've settled on the Ikko i-planet tips as they seem to give the best seal (5/21/2020 Edit: they don't stay on the nozzle, so they aren't a good match). Vocal trance seems to be the best fit, rap is just alright, and rock is unpleasant (listening to rock is actually more unpleasant on the D10's than my $10 logitech speakers)

I'm actually really curious how I'd rate the H40's, but I was concerned about the bigger size, which is why I chose the D10's over them.

No.3's get a 7.8 out of 10 from me while the D10's get a 5.5 out of 10.

Conclusion:
I might have been satisfied if the D10's were $30.

5/30/2020 Edit below after 100+ hours of burn in:

Final thoughts: Clean sounding, while rock is probably not their strongest point, the "overall muddy sound" that I mentioned is gone and replaced with clarity and pleasant sparkle, timbre went from being bad to decent, and the texture of the mid bass has increased dramatically, it's much tighter and controlled as well. Sub bass is good, it's now cleaner and more defined, similar to the No.3's. Mid bass is stronger in the No.3's (as I recall) but it's equally as clean. D10's are also more intimate sounding than the No.3's. Soundstage is just right and anything more might give off an artificial sound. Comfort is still really good 10 days later as well. Vocal trance is now fantastic, rap is great, and rock while just "okay" isn't bad, but could be better.

No.3's get a 7.8 out of 10, while the D10's now get a 7.5 out of 10 (previously 5.5 out of 10 before 100+ hours of burn in) .5 points deducted for the subpar rock performance.

Note: I've never believed in burn-in being an actual thing, and I didn't expect the D10's to improve over time, during the past two or so weeks I've also been switching back and forth between my TR-X00 Ebony setup and the D10's, so it's not like my ears have adjusted.

Conclusion:
Satisfied with spending the retail price on the D10's at $175 USD. Yes, they were that bad out of the box.

Last edited:
May 18, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #1,194 of 5,044
I just got my D10's and honestly, I can't say I'm too impressed. VS the TFZ No.3's, the only improvement is comfort. Sub bass is about equal in songs that call for it although not as detailed, mid bass is lower in the D10's (and not as clean), and while vocals might be slightly more forward in the D10's, they aren't as crisp. Comfort wise I'd give the D10's a 9.5 though while the No.3's get a 4, note that I apparently have fairly small ears.

These are my first impressions and I will update this post eventually. I was going to try out the Spinfit cp100's to see how they are, but Penon sent me medium instead of small, rip. I do have Ikko i-planet's that I'm going to be trying out though.

Oh yeah, the right ear cuts out if I try to adjust it too, but I already contacted Penon about that.
I don't love my D10 either. Also have the same problem with the right piece. I'll contact them as soon as I check with other cable.

May 18, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #1,195 of 5,044
I don't love my D10 either. Also have the same problem with the right piece. I'll contact them as soon as I check with other cable.

I hope it's just the cable and they offer some sort of advanced RMA type replacement. There was a couple posts in this thread of users that had the same issue, one said it was rectified with a new cable, the other said it wasn't..

May 19, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #1,196 of 5,044

Update: You know what it sounds like? It sounds like there's those little clear plastic peel off protectors covering the filters, almost like the D10's are being needlessly suffocated, it shows more in certain songs, and EQ can't get rid of it. Still using the default tips which fit very well, I'll update again when I swap them.

Oh yeah, the right ear cuts out if I try to adjust it too, but I already contacted Penon about that. Edit: The cables are marked incorrectly as well, R is L and L is R. Decided to swap the L&R ear pieces as well just to see if the cutting out would still be present and it doesn't seem to be, so I'm unsure if it's the cable, the connector on the D10 itself, or a mix of both.

Penon got back to me and they are aware of the issue so they are sending me out one of the newer cables, awesome customer support.

Are both of you using a 3.5mm S4 cable? I think dsnuts said that the 3.5mm cables had some issues, corrected in the later batches. I have ordered a 4.4mm cable but I am not sure if I will ever get my D10...

May 19, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #1,197 of 5,044
Are both of you using a 3.5mm S4 cable? I think dsnuts said that the 3.5mm cables had some issues, corrected in the later batches. I have ordered a 4.4mm cable but I am not sure if I will ever get my D10...

Yeah, 3.5mm S4 here. What happened to your D10?

May 19, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #1,200 of 5,044
I've reached out to Penon asking to have my D10 order cancelled, since the shipment has been stuck with HK Post for almost 2 months now, but I haven't heard back yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back