ISN Earphones impression thread. New ISN NEO 3!
Jan 5, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #241 of 5,044
Is it suitable for classical and baroque music? Is the timbre well reproduced and natural? compared to Tri i3? I have a Hd 598 Senneiser
Thanks

Listening to Bach violin concerto no.2 by Hilary Hahn. H40 has very good timbre with natural tonal balance for classical music. One of the better implemented hybrid for sure. For reference, I couldn’t gel with CA Solaris for classical music with it’s plasticky timbre and hollow tonality. Compared to the i3, H40 has more romantic sound with thicker mids to mid bass transition creating solid bass foundation with cellos sounding very substantial. I3 is more studio recording like presentation compared to the more lively presentation of the H40. That is, everything sound more dampened without prolongation of sound and resonance. I like both since they provide good contrast to each recordings. If you like very precise imaging for chamber music i3 does it little better with its seemingly low mass & low distortion planar driver. Also if your music library consist lots of analog recordings from 50s to late 70s like I do, H40 is more forgiving listen whereas i3 can highlight flaws in recording to the point that it can be distracting.
Hope this was helpful.

I have few nice balanced cable including no.175 from hakuzen’s list incoming so my impression on H40 might change as I keep experiment with different cables.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #242 of 5,044
When I auditioned them (with the max damping) I found the FDX1 had tighter bass and a leaner signature overall, with more neutral and forward mids that I found more articulate but the H40 is the fun one, with a warmer tilt and a softer attack that makes it probably less fatiguing as well. The H40 less forward mids helps a much deeper soundstage (and for that matter much bigger soundstage in all directions).

I haven’t played at all with the filter on FDX1 and it’s only a quick audition but this is how I read things.
You have tried some pretty great iems! Where would you rank the fdx1 and Tri i3 on your list?

Jan 5, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #243 of 5,044
I have a pair of new dynamic driver earphones called NF Audio NA1. The Penon Audio price is only $169, so I was a little doubtful they would be any good, but because I own a pair of NF Audio NF2 Pros which is one of my favorite earphones (I will never sell them), I thought I would give them a try. Nabillion 786: These are more airy and detailed than the H40, if you want, you can pm me and I will give you my mini review. I already gave a brief review on Penon Audio.

Jan 5, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #244 of 5,044
@expatriot I have the NF Audio NA1 as well, double cavity dynamic with Tesla motor... yes clearer sounding with a high level of detail retrieval, leaner and thinner mids and a bass with a sub bass tilt with great extension. Soundstage I find is not as massive as the H40, it’s comparatively as wide but not as tall and deep. I’ll write a full review right now I am almost done with burn in.

77B9F0ED-43BD-4158-BCDE-2CA2C7B71EE7.jpeg

Jan 5, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #245 of 5,044
You have tried some pretty great iems! Where would you rank the fdx1 and Tri i3 on your list?

Yes I own and have owned quite a bit of flagships... But I always take an interest of what happens are the other end of the market because I am not always doing highly critical listening and tuning is of the essence I don’t always need flagship performance levels :p

H40 is a great example of high value for money and has a very distinctive tuning that I love also for this : not many warmer tuning done well these days and I love them.

FDX1 I only had an audition so I wouldn’t rank it right away but it’s great value for the price. Tri i3 never auditioned so I don’t know!

Jan 5, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #246 of 5,044
@expatriot I have the NF Audio NA1 as well, double cavity dynamic with Tesla motor... yes clearer sounding with a high level of detail retrieval, leaner and thinner mids and a bass with a sub bass tilt with great extension. Soundstage I find is not as massive as the H40, it’s comparatively as wide but not as tall and deep. I’ll write a full review right now I am almost done with burn in.

something something cool technology dynamic driver with boosted bass, thin mid and detailed high (Harman target is cool now eh) sub $300 IEMs is so trendy with Chifi right now, that something with a different tuning than the mainstream and well executed like the H40s just feel so special to me.

Jan 6, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #247 of 5,044
Hi @audio123,

Apologies for the delay in reply on thoughts on the Revised or H40 New Version.
I needed time to listen to it to push past mere simple impressions & to be honest, other IEMs I really enjoy were taking up listening time though my favourite just potentially died on one BA if not more so waiting to get that fixed eventually, not to mention holidays were busy too...

Subjectively & personally, I will say this is among the 'best' AFFORDABLE Triples I have heard & actually own & I own quite a few good Triples by now, especially pricey ones.

While there is a slight emphasis in bass response (for me), it does skirt the line just nicely into not dipping too deeply into consumer bass response for no reason.
The mids & highs are nicely extended & textured, particularly the latter with no fatigue which is important as I am sensitive to highs.
This is also important since I have a few genres which dip into the Highs quite a lot, so it's nice to have an IEM, especially in the affordable range for an essentially new IEM brand which doesn't stab the brain or blow out the ears so to speak...among other things...
I do enjoy the mid range on the H40 as I listen to a lot of vocals the most though Jazz & classical aren't far behind.

Personally & subjectively, the H40 NVR is almost hard to put down as a result as there is also nice layered staging to go along with good clarity.

Hope you have a great day !

Jan 6, 2020 at 12:34 AM Post #248 of 5,044
Hi @audio123,

Apologies for the delay in reply on thoughts on the Revised or H40 New Version.
I needed time to listen to it to push past mere simple impressions & to be honest, other IEMs I really enjoy were taking up listening time though my favourite just potentially died on one BA if not more so waiting to get that fixed eventually, not to mention holidays were busy too...

Subjectively & personally, I will say this is among the 'best' AFFORDABLE Triples I have heard & actually own & I own quite a few good Triples by now, especially pricey ones.

While there is a slight emphasis in bass response (for me), it does skirt the line just nicely into not dipping too deeply into consumer bass response for no reason.
The mids & highs are nicely extended & textured, particularly the latter with no fatigue which is important as I am sensitive to highs.
This is also important since I have a few genres which dip into the Highs quite a lot, so it's nice to have an IEM, especially in the affordable range for an essentially new IEM brand which doesn't stab the brain or blow out the ears so to speak...among other things...
I do enjoy the mid range on the H40 as I listen to a lot of vocals the most though Jazz & classical aren't far behind.

Personally & subjectively, the H40 NVR is almost hard to put down as a result as there is also nice layered staging to go along with good clarity.

Glad to see you enjoying as much as I do. I like the H40 a lot.

Jan 6, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #250 of 5,044
Glad to see you enjoying as much as I do. I like the H40 a lot.

@audio123,

I always enjoy a good Triple more than any other config unless it's an even better Quad Config.

By the way, looking forward to hearing more about iBasso AM 05 when you finally review it...
Personally, don't usually go for Penta drivers but given it's iBasso, it is tempting though in no rush as I have other more important, none audio related, to budget for...

Keep up the good work !

Jan 6, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #252 of 5,044
Yes I own and have owned quite a bit of flagships... But I always take an interest of what happens are the other end of the market because I am not always doing highly critical listening and tuning is of the essence I don’t always need flagship performance levels :p

H40 is a great example of high value for money and has a very distinctive tuning that I love also for this : not many warmer tuning done well these days and I love them.

FDX1 I only had an audition so I wouldn’t rank it right away but it’s great value for the price. Tri i3 never auditioned so I don’t know!
Do you rank the h40 and fdx1 at totl level? I've got the fdx1 and absolutely love them especially the realistic tone and crystal clear sound but the stage is a bit small along with a slightly leaner presentation that I don't like but I am hoping the isn s16 cable will fix those issues for me. But I am still curious as to which iem can outperform the fdx1 in clarity, vocal performance and stage? Wouldn't mind selling the fdx1 (if the cables don't do the trick) and getting the h40 or saving up for a totl iem. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #254 of 5,044
@audio123,

I always enjoy a good Triple more than any other config unless it's an even better Quad Config.

By the way, looking forward to hearing more about iBasso AM 05 when you finally review it...
Personally, don't usually go for Penta drivers but given it's iBasso, it is tempting though in no rush as I have other more important, none audio related, to budget for...

Keep up the good work !

Thank you. Appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back