Is This True About Custom Fit Earphones and Ear Impressions?
Mar 15, 2011 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Starsky5000

500+ Head-Fier
I was thinking about going the custom route for my Atrios but I came across the Future Sonics Support Website Page and it says this:

How often do I need to get new impressions?
We recommend new impressions every 18 – 24 months or less depending on the fit, comfort and performance of the current custom-fit product.

Is this true about custom earphones? That you need to make new ear impressions every 2 year.

I thought once you made the ear impressions thats it. It's over and you get a product that lasts for years if well taken care of.

Mar 15, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 25
Your ear canal can change shape over time, but I suppose it shouldn't strictly be that long. You could probably go a little while longer, unless of course you're under 21 when you're still growing.

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #4 of 25

Quote:
I was thinking about going the custom route for my Atrios but I am across the Future Sonics Support Website Page and it says this:

How often do I need to get new impressions?
We recommend new impressions every 18 – 24 months or less depending on the fit, comfort and performance of the current custom-fit product.

Is this true about custom earphones? That you need to make new ear impressions every 2 year.

I thought once you made the ear impressions thats it. It's over and you get a product that lasts for years if well taken care of.

Future Sonics sells mainly to professional musicians, not audiophiles. It's different if you're on tour with Reba McEntire.

They will last for years, but if you gain a lot of weight, or lose it, you might need a re-fit.

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #5 of 25
A growing kid might need to redo an ear mold as frequent as one year or less, an old man might only need one every 5 to 7 years. There is no fix number of date on how frequent you should redo your mold, because everyone's ear changes in different rate. However if you are an adult, the chance that that you will need to do it every two years is slim, unless you lose a lot of weight between those time. Soft silicone mold will age (as a material) much faster than acrylic, so the chance is if you are using soft mold, you might need to redo the mold because it is falling apart by itself before you ears have changed.

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 25
I got custom tips for my TF10s and it was the best decision I ever made (not only because they are renowned for being uncomfortable to wear). The audiologist said nothing regarding my ears changing shape, certainly not in the space of 2 years. But as they are silicone (I've found to be very comfortable) they may need new ones sent out after a couple of years (which are from the original moulds taken) as ClieOS has described above.

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 25
Thank You for all your input guys. I understand better now.

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #8 of 25

Quote:

Future Sonics sells mainly to professional musicians, not audiophiles. It's different if you're on tour with Reba McEntire.

They will last for years, but if you gain a lot of weight, or lose it, you might need a re-fit.

I'm currently 200 pounds. I fluctuate between 180 to 200 pounds. Is that enough weight drop to warrant a re-fit....you think?

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 25

Quote:
Check out what 2 audiologists said in this post (scroll down a bit).

Thank You Very Much average_joe. That was a very informative read.

Oh one more thing, I called Future Sonics and asked them how long the silicone SofterWear Sleeves will last....they said forever.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:
I'm currently 200 pounds. I fluctuate between 180 to 200 pounds. Is that enough weight drop to warrant a re-fit....you think?

I'd hazard a guess that unless you're under 21, you should do just fine. IF at one point it ends up feeling lose some skin-safe, blu-tac-like material could be available to stick onto the shell, then you remove it if it tightens.

In any case, some materials used for the shells do degrade over time. Some companies use silicone, others acrylic, and some give you an option based on how much they can isolate. Both have advantages and disadvantages, but basically a hard shell will be less forgiving of changes in your ear shape; I dunno if the softer one will change shape on its own whether as an adaptation on your ears as you use them or a bit like wear and tear.

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #12 of 25
Future Sonics is simply being responsible in requiring current impressions. Their web FAQ should not be misinterpreted as meaning that you NEED new molds every two years. In fact, no responsible (IMHO) manufacturer would make custom product based on impressions taken years previously. That's just asking for bad results.

[rant] I also want to call out ClieOS's statement:
Quote:
Soft silicone mold will age (as a material) much faster than acrylic, so the chance is if you are using soft mold, you might need to redo the mold because it is falling apart by itself before you ears have changed.

This is factually untrue. Proper cold-cure, medical-grade silicone does not "age" in regards to fit. It does not shrink, nor does it lose its pliable property. It most assuredly DOES NOT FALL APART!
(Disclaimer: I can only testify with certainty about the chemical properties of the silicone fomulation that Sensaphonics uses. But I assume it's true for other makers as well.)

Nothing personal, dude, but I am damned tired of reading unqualified dissing of silicone. Kind of a pet peeve. I've had my Sensaphonics 3D-1 since 2006 and they are unchanged beyond not being so shiny anymore (as the lacquer eventually wears off).
[/rant]

In fact, because the silicone is pliable, there's actually some "play" there, which makes them better able to maintain fit even if there are minor changes to the ear canal. IMHO, custom silicone tips are a great investment in any quality earphone. You can upgrade the product, yet retain its full resale value.

Acrylics are obviously hard-shell; thus fit changes represent a bigger issue. But AFAIK no one is selling acrylic tips.

Mar 15, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #13 of 25
Just to be clear, I am not referring to soft mold being age regard to fit, but age as an actual material under the weather / normal wear and tear (i.e. overly soften / harden / small tear develop). Since I have never seen or used Sensaphonics or Future Sonics soft mold before, I can't comment specifically on how long they will last. My comment is based on the general experience I drew from my late grandfather, who had used various kind of hearing aid with different mold material for almost two decades As far as I know, there are a few different classes on medical-grade silicone that can be used for soft mold and the classification and usage seems to be different for different country across the globe, so obviously what my grandfather used to use might not be the exact same material or formula as any of the custom IEM manufacturer.

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #14 of 25

Quote:

In fact, because the silicone is pliable, there's actually some "play" there, which makes them better able to maintain fit even if there are minor changes to the ear canal. IMHO, custom silicone tips are a great investment in any quality earphone.

This seems to be true. The lady over at Future Sonics told me that silicone is more forgiving than acrylic.

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #15 of 25
There are a lot of formulations of silicone out there. Properly used, Sensaphonics soft-gel silicone does not harden, soften, shrink or tear. Chemically, it is extremely stable. These are facts.

Since you now admit that your "experience'" consists of observing a tear in your grandfather's hearing aids, perhaps it would be wise to refrain from making sweeping statements about products and materials that you have never used. It is  a real disservice to Head-fi users, many of whom are looking for solid, factual information in order to make an informed decision regarding their next purchase. And it is completely unfair to manufacturers like Sensaphonics and acs, who have worked hard to find the best possible material for in-ear applications.

Quote:
Just to be clear, I am not referring to soft mold being age regard to fit, but age as an actual material under the weather / normal wear and tear (i.e. overly soften / harden / small tear develop). Since I have never seen or used Sensaphonics or Future Sonics soft mold before, I can't comment specifically on how long they will last. My comment is based on the general experience I drew from my late grandfather, who had used various kind of hearing aid with different mold material for almost two decades As far as I know, there are a few different classes on medical-grade silicone that can be used for soft mold and the classification and usage seems to be different for different country across the globe, so obviously what my grandfather used to use might not be the exact same material or formula as any of the custom IEM manufacturer.

Debunking the misinformation I've seen and heard about IEMs over the years is actually the primary reason I joined Head-fi. As I said, this isn't personal, ClieOS.You're just today's lucky winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back