Is this a semi-Vintage SR60? [Now includes Vintage SR125 pics + more]
Sep 7, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #17 of 17
I just bought a pair of SR60's at the weekend which match the ones in this thread. Hopefully I can shed some light on what they actually are!
A month ago, I bought a pair of SR60i's. I was just looking for a decent pair of cans, went into the local hi-fi shop, told the guy what I wanted and what my budget was, and he pointed at the SR60i's. "These ones", he said immediately, very confidently. I'd never heard of Grado before. Of course, he knew what he had, and I walked out with a pair. No point telling you how good they are.
My girlfriend finally got around to listening to them, and liked them so much that I decided she should get a pair as well. So I went round to the hi-fi shop again, and explained the situation. I also asked to try out the SR80i's, thinking that if there was a reasonable difference, I'd take the 80s and my girlfriend would get the 60s.
So I listened to the 60 and 80 for a bit, and then the salesmen said, "Try these. They're maybe a little special," and pulled out this odd pair of SR60s. 
He said that they'd received them in a recent shipment of headphones, but they were obviously different from the standard SR60i's. When they asked the distributor about them, they were told that these were very limited edition SR60's made for magazine review purposes, and that they were specifically customised to look and sound better than standard SR60's. The distributor couldn't go into details, but the feeling in the shop was that the drivers were somewhere between the 125's and 225's, based on how they sounded. They certainly sounded better than the demo SR60i and SR80i I tried. He sold them to me, without a box, for the same price as standard SR60i's, and I'm listening to them right now.
I have no idea to what extent the 'magazine review' story is true or not. But I have problems believing that these are just vintage headphones, based on how much better the sound quality is than the current SR60i's or SR80i's. Whatever the truth is, I've got a pretty unique set of headphones that sound great.
Before anyone asks, I'm no intentions of opening them up to find out what colour the magnet is! But I'll post pictures if people are interested.
Hope this is useful to people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back