Is this a real Grado SR325is?
Jan 4, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #76 of 158

Quote:
I have an MS2 on order. Here's the response I got from Alessandro when I asked whether I'm getting the chrome-plated version  also expressing my disappointment regarding the new design:

"Actually not sure if you are getting the old or new version. We had to switch to chrome because we were having problems with the anodizing, and it actually costs more money to make them than the brushed aluminum ones. We actually think it looks better."

This is weak, IMO.  I work in the semiconductor industry where we deal all the time with anodized parts, and it's not rocket science.  Plus, how many years have they already been doing successfully?  Sounds like to me, they just wanted to make a change just to make a change.  Doesn't sound like they bounced the new finish off of any actual Grado users or owners though based on the opinions we're seeing here !!

Personally, I think black anodization would have been a cool change.

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #77 of 158
I sent Mr. Chen a link to this thread so he is well aware that the majority of the people that have chimed in this thread are not thrilled about the change. Will that do anything for future Grados...who knows. hopefully they are receptive to customer/future customer feedback.

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #78 of 158
chrome? ewww...i'd rather rock the barney grados

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #79 of 158
Jan 4, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #81 of 158
Wow, I don't like the new look at all. I tried out the 325i a week ago (the old ones), and I thought they looked and sounded great. These new shiny ones look gaudy. Makes me think I should pick up a pair from a retailer here in the Bay Area that has older stock before they're completely unavailable (unless Grado reverts back to brushed).

Jan 4, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #82 of 158
Wouldn't it be something if Grado decides to go back to the brushed aluminum look due to the negative feedback, and suddenly the chrome Grados become ultra-rare highly sought after collector's items?  lol 

Jan 4, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #83 of 158
Jan 4, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #84 of 158

Quote:

Black anodization is different than black paint.

I have worked that one out.
wink_face.gif

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #85 of 158
There were so many replies I wasn't going to check to see if somebody mentioned the earlier thread about this. Indeed, this is evidently an "upgrade" in aesthetics. I'm on record as saying that Grado headphones are some of the most awesome looking things in headphonedom, but even I can't stretch that to chrome. There's a reason people are moving away from ultra high gloss surfaces in modern design, and that's because they're bloody fingerprint and scratch magnets. Also, they never seem to look as good in person as in idealized press photos. There's nothing prettier than anodized aluminum (especially black). There's nothing more gaudy and overdone than chrome. Matte is always better than gloss, IMO.

As I understand it, John Grado sometimes visits these forums. If he's reading at all, he just got an earful (eyeful?).

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #87 of 158
Or maybe it's a Monster take over...Grados by Dre anyone?

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #89 of 158
Jan 4, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #90 of 158
Maybe this is a play to get in with the accessories market like Apple does.  The shiny iPod/iPhone designs look nice in photos and on the shelf, but need a case or cover for real life use.  So maybe Grado will market (or license) aftermarket silicone or plastic covers for the 325chrome.  Imagine seeing Belkin covers for Grados.

Some folks stretch silicone bands around the PS1000 to keep them from getting dinged up.  Could do the same for the 325chrome if you can find the right size band and a suitable color.  Could market them as dampeners as well as just covers for aesthetics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back