Is there such a thing as an audiophile music player for windows?
May 28, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #122 of 138
Another vote for JRiver here …
installed on a dedicated PC with USB output to DAC/Hifi and controlled with the Jremote app on an iPad … happy with the sound quality, unexpected bonus is the server capabilities, switching via the JRemote from the PC to a Yamaha HT receiver In the lounge, a little Yamaha steamer in the bedroom or back to the iPad and listen via headphones direct or plugged into a Dragonfly red …even more unexpected was controlling via JRemote on my iPhone and listen to 2 different streams at the same time … Hifi and HT, Hifi and iPhone etc …
purchasing upgrades ?, once every couple of years and it costs $20 or so …. can’t see a problem with that …

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #123 of 138
Jumping into this thread as I've become less than enamoured by VLC which has been my default for a long time. On Android after trying just about everything, to my ears, Poweramp just did the business without the over complexity of Neutron, and I just kept coming back to it.
Not wanting to have to run an emulator, and with Poweramp not being available as a PC version, I've done some side-by-side listening tests using my Creative E5 and some SE215s, and did not like the sound of AIMP at all (is it the ffmpeg components?) and found foobar2000 unremarkable if OK.
That old faithful, abandoned by me for many years, Winamp 5.8, seems to be doing the business out of the box (EQ off). It does need the High DPI scaling override or it is unusable (tiny) but then it just seemed to hit the spot.

I don't feel the search is over yet, and I want a player, not affiliated with a streaming or sales service, just a plain player. Is there anything else I should try?

Jun 9, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #124 of 138
I use Jriver media center. I had issues with media monkey and music several years back and decided to switch over. I live all the extra features and customizations for jriver.

Jun 9, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #126 of 138
Definitely not interested in jriver. It is an all singing all dancing media manager, and quite pricey. Only after a dedicated music player.
People spend thousands and thousands of dollars on audio equipment then think 60.00 is expensive for a media player. Makes me laugh.especially when they pay 120.00 to 240.00 a year on a single streaming music service.

BTW I only use it to for my music not the rest of my media.

Jun 12, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #129 of 138
Definitely not interested in jriver. It is an all singing all dancing media manager, and quite pricey. Only after a dedicated music player.
did you try hysolid?

Jul 3, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #130 of 138
did you try hysolid?
After looking over it, no. I wm looking for a Windows music player, like Winamp or VLC, not a network music player which seems to need the smartphone to then control it. hysolid looks like something completely different.

Annoyingly on one of my laptops, Winamp randomly stopped sound output, so I had to go back to VLC. On the other one, Winamp is still working and sounds great. The uncertainty of what went wrong has me worried it will also stop. I tried all the troubleshooting steps on the winamp forums and got nowhere. The PC is stopped working on is on 21H2, the one it works on is 20H2, so I wonder if the windows update killed it.

Jul 3, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #131 of 138
After looking over it, no. I wm looking for a Windows music player, like Winamp or VLC, not a network music player which seems to need the smartphone to then control it. hysolid looks like something completely different.

Annoyingly on one of my laptops, Winamp randomly stopped sound output, so I had to go back to VLC. On the other one, Winamp is still working and sounds great. The uncertainty of what went wrong has me worried it will also stop. I tried all the troubleshooting steps on the winamp forums and got nowhere. The PC is stopped working on is on 21H2, the one it works on is 20H2, so I wonder if the windows update killed it.
Have you tried AIMP?

Jul 4, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #133 of 138
Started using Jriver myself. Still in trial but it's really not that much to buy a licence and I will do so.

Jriver on my Surface Pro 7 with my 512Gb SD card allows me to quickly flick through and listen to my library either with my DAC/IEM's (Wasapi) or DNLA to my KEF LSX speakers (which is excellent as I don't have a NAS).

Can't fault it so far. For the price of a few takeouts or chifi IEM's it's a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #134 of 138
Some suggestions that may have been made already.... Cowon Jet Audio, Jriver Media Center, Music Bee, Microsoft Groove Music or Zune (if you can still find the installer) .. I personally use JRMC not bad for less than $30. Foobar is free and pretty cool as well.

Jul 6, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #135 of 138

Users who are viewing this thread

Back